Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Who is pulling the strings in pop music?

...RIck Wakeman, Jon Lord... keyboard pop

Seriously? :confused:

A oh! I am actually not a fan of either of these.. my bias towards my pov in music ( jazz, big band, blues, gospel, funk ) is showing :blush:

You don't have ideas, ideas have you

We see the world, not as it is, but as we are. "One mans food is another mans poison". I defend your right to speak hate. Tolerance to a point, not agreement

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What music would the below 50 ( but not 30 either because exclusive membership, take years to gain entry into... $$ success takes time ) crowd appreciate?

I played a mixture of older music from pre 1955 and I also added a tiny bit of Grover, Beatles, soul music.

I am trying to develop music program that is not offensive ( I sound like Clear channel now ) yet interesting enough.

SO far, I am doing ok.. if the responses are any judge.

But I am dissatisfied and want to take more chances.

Music is entertainment. There is no shortage of genres, styles and outlets for it. Seek and ye shall find. Start with XM radio.

Otherwise, if the audience responds favorably to the music you play and you're getting paid to do it...don't change anything.

If you want to take more chances with your repertoire, go for it. The audience will decide whether or not they dig it.

If the tune(s) work, keep playing them. If not, scratch it, find and add something else.

IMO, musicians should keep their ears and minds open to newer music and use their musicality to take that Pop song to another level i.e. remix it.

That way, the folks under 50 years old in the audience will hear a familiar song(s) with a twist making it more hip. Jazz was built on a similar foundation. ;):cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

Getting back to my original intent ( Thank you ProfD ) I was just now reading the Space Station thread.

Reading it, brought up for me another ( much smaller, but nonetheless related ) example of musicians giving up their control.

I am speaking about sound men and the power we regularly give up to them.

It's one of the reasons I never like playing in huge venues, where FOH is needed ( reluctant admission ) .

Guys just give it up, for "sound" men. How many sound men have messed up a bands stage sound?

Maybe the bands are too loud; and consequently could do without FOH?

I know I am going against the grain here... but I am combative in this respect.

It is also a matter of respect., but I suppose in this 21st century world, equality has overtaken older hierarchal values.

Me, I am not buying it. My musical value is far above a soundman's.

And our knowledge and dedication to music, makes us better qualified to give input to mega giant companies music decisions.

I am sure this will fall on deaf, duped, ears.

You don't have ideas, ideas have you

We see the world, not as it is, but as we are. "One mans food is another mans poison". I defend your right to speak hate. Tolerance to a point, not agreement

Archived