Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Effects of phantom power on stuff that doesn't need it?

Danny Linguini

Probably a basic question for most of you guys, but I've never faced it before, so ... I just ordered a Blue enCore 200 mic, which uses phantom power. Also going into the Alto 8-channel mixer are another vocal mic that doesn't use PP; and in line-ins, an acoustic guitar, CP4 L&R and drum machine L&R. I believe when phantom is switched on, it's only on the four XLR inputs. I've got no XLR's coming in from anything other than the two mics. Everything I've read says the other stuff will not be affected with PP switched on. Can I get a hell yeah on that?

D-10; M50; SP4-7; SP6

I'm a fairly accomplished hack.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I have the same Blue 200 mic and it is a lot hotter in the mix than the other vocal mics (Shure 57/58's) ... nice mic though ... anyway you should be fine as will the other mics - I don't use the Alto mixer but some of the ones Ive used had a similar switch that turned it on/off for all channels and if 48v is not needed it will not be used or harm the other mics ... you should be good ... "hell yeah!"

Kurzweil Forte,Roland Fantom 6,Hydrasynth,Numa C2X, SpaceStation V.3, other stuffs

I have the same Blue 200 mic and it is a lot hotter in the mix than the other vocal mics (Shure 57/58's) ... nice mic though ... anyway you should be fine as will the other mics - I don't use the Alto mixer but some of the ones Ive used had a similar switch that turned it on/off for all channels and if 48v is not needed it will not be used or harm the other mics ... you should be good ... "hell yeah!"

Cool -- good to know. My partner's mic is very hot. I can't remember what it is, but it's an uncommon brand that you don't see very often. My EV is hotter than the SM58, but still not as hot as his (although I haven't completely ruled out the possibility that he's just a friggin loudmouth). Luckily I man the mixer and the almighty equalizer, the gain knobs.

And I've just this second been notified that my mic has shipped. Awww, hell yeah.

Thanks for the info!

PS: Bluto is is freaking me out!!

D-10; M50; SP4-7; SP6

I'm a fairly accomplished hack.

If I recall properly, Phantom Power is 48 Volts imparted on the "phase" and "zero" pins of an XLR connection through 6 kilo Ohms. Probably a lot of equipment isn't thrilled by the prospect of getting that connected to their outputs. A decent buffered output, possibly with AC coupling might easily withstand that sort of juice when in "on" mode. I wouldn't like to bet on it, a synth needing repair because someone pushed the Phantom On button isn't my idea of fun.

I asked myself a similar question in connection with dealing with a Yamaha mixer (MG series), and it appeared the XLR connector part of the combi connectors gets PP, but somehow magically the balanced jack connector part doesn't. So it might pay to measure (Voltmeter / cheap multi-meter)): push the instrument cable you use in, and measure if there's 48V. If not, it's ok.

T.

Archived