Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT - I #*$&ing HATE UPS!!

Justin Havu

Took the paperweight back to GC in Portsmouth, NH. I'll be getting a PC88-MX in a few days as a replacement. Thank you, Guitar Center.

Hardware

Yamaha MODX7, DX7, PSR-530, MX61/Korg TR-Rack, 01/W Pro X, Trinity Pro X, Karma/Ensoniq ESQ-1

Behringer DeepMind12, Model D, Odyssey, 2600/Arturia Keylab MKII 61

Software

Studio One/V Collection 9/Korg Collection 4/Cherry Audio/UVI SonicPass/EW Composer Cloud/Omnisphere, Stylus RMX, Trilian/IK Total Studio 3.5 MAX/Roland Cloud

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So I got the replacement PC88 today. Plugged it in, and it powers up fine, but NO OUTPUT at all. Just a loud 60Hz hum out of the headphone out, and no output from the main outs. Never buying anything, new, or used, from Guitar Center again. They've lost me.

Hardware

Yamaha MODX7, DX7, PSR-530, MX61/Korg TR-Rack, 01/W Pro X, Trinity Pro X, Karma/Ensoniq ESQ-1

Software

Studio One/V Collection 9/Korg Collection 4/Cherry Audio/UVI SonicPass/EW Composer Cloud/Omnisphere, Stylus RMX, Trilian/IK Total Studio 3.5 MAX/Roland Cloud

I ordered one used item from GC, a Markbass Momark modular bass amp head. It arrived with a bad preamp module that did nothing but send a loud, constant screech to my speakers. When I called about it the customer service rep gave me a choice of driving it to the nearest GC 75 miles away, or pay return shipping myself so they could see if it really was bad. After the hassle I went through I never ordered from them again.

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

So I got the replacement PC88 today. Plugged it in, and it powers up fine, but NO OUTPUT at all. Just a loud 60Hz hum out of the headphone out, and no output from the main outs. Never buying anything, new, or used, from Guitar Center again. They've lost me.

I don't blame you for feeling that way. While there are a few exceptions to be noted, much of GC's used keyboard gear seems to be rather 'challenged' stuff. I question how thoroughly, if at all, it gets inspected/tested. Many of the used keyboards I've seen, in several of their stores across the US, have scared me - especially the previous generation Kurzweil instruments.

'Someday, we'll look back on these days and laugh; likely a maniacal laugh from our padded cells, but a laugh nonetheless' - Mr. Boffo.

We need a barfing cat emoticon!

Really makes me miss the Daddy's chain of stores. They pretty much inspected and tested everything and they were honest about what they sold (at least from my point of view, can't speak for others that have done business with them.) I loved shopping there. Guitar Center just doesn't seem to care. They seem to care more about ripping people off, pretty much.

Hardware

Software

I don't blame you for feeling that way. While there are a few exceptions to be noted, much of GC's used keyboard gear seems to be rather 'challenged' stuff. I question how thoroughly, if at all, it gets inspected/tested. Many of the used keyboards I've seen, in several of their stores across the US, have scared me - especially the previous generation Kurzweil instruments.

Hmm, I've had really good luck ordering from them....every board I've gotten has been in pristine shape, putting aside my similar shipping mishap. That said, I've only ordered three so small sample size! Also, I don't order via the website but call them and ask a salesman about the condition etc, because you usually can't tell much from the pics and they offer very little info on them on the site. If they said it was dinged up I probably wouldn't get it, as it might indicate abuse. Again, if you do order, get a heavy-duty case with it and just return the case locally (as I said, they told me to do just that so I don't feel bad about it!)

If I did get a lemon though I'd probably feel much the same.

I will also say that their prices can be all over the map so you need to be patient. One week you'll see 3 pc361s (for instance, this is what I was looking for a year or so back) on there for say $1000, then a month later one shows up with a case for $750.

I've only bought one used board from GC, my SK1-73. I found it on the web, called the store in FL, spoke with both a salesperson and manager, made the purchase. The board included a gig bag. Packing was done well, although I personally pack stuff to an extreme. The board looked and played very well.

Couple of thoughts: First, the SK1 is smaller and lighter. Second - packing quality probably depends on at least two factors - individual store managers may be more proactive in being sure that stuff is well packed, and stores may have better/worse supplies of boxes and packing materials at the time of order.

I don't remember if it was shipped UPS or FedEx. I have received stuff not so well packed (a Fender 2x15 cabinet came through with no external damage, but both speakers had torn loose form the cabinet. I had to drill new mounting holes, the speakers fortunately did not suffer cone damage.

Pricing does vary considerably. The particular board that I bought was being sold for a price that was more like the 61 key version (the ad didn't mention it being a 73, it was a pleasant surprise).

Howard Grand|Hamm SK1-73|Kurz PC2|PC2X|PC3|PC3X|PC361; QSC K10's

HP DAW|Epi Les Paul & LP 5-str bass|iPad mini2

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Jim

UPDATE - I purchased a used SP76-II through GC for $249. Called them up first and asked about the condition, the pro audio guy said it was 100% fully-functional and ready to go. It should arrive on Thursday.

Hardware

Software

Really makes me miss the Daddy's chain of stores. They pretty much inspected and tested everything and they were honest about what they sold (at least from my point of view, can't speak for others that have done business with them.) I loved shopping there.

Brings back memories of Medley Music in Bryn Mawr, PA. Great store and excellent customer service. Sure was sad to see them go. :(

When an eel hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that's a Moray.

Yeah, I bought a JX-10 from Daddy's 10 years ago for $400, two years later, bought an Ensoniq TS-10 workstation for $250. Both boards were powered on and ready for testing before I bought them. I remember the scaling on the TS-10 was all screwed up (IIRC, the high notes started at the bottom, and the low notes started at the top.). All I had to do was go into its global mode (or whatever it was called on the TS-10), and set the scaling back to equal, and it played fine. Sold it a couple years later for $1000. I think I remember getting $350 for the JX a year after I bought it.

Hardware

Software

On no account keep this example. You don't know what damage there is you can't see. It's a bit of a hassle to get it collected and replaced, but you won't regret the decision down the line, as you indeed may if you hold on to this one.

Studio: Yamaha P515 | Yamaha Tyros 5 | Yamaha HX1 | Moog Sub 37

Road: Yamaha YC88 | Nord Electro 5D

GC had a used SP76 for $249 plus shipping. I bit the bullet and bought it. Works fine. I figure I'll hang onto it just because I'm tired of dealing with GC. I just wish it was the SP76 II as it was listed, and not the original.

Hardware

Software

Really makes me miss the Daddy's chain of stores. They pretty much inspected and tested everything and they were honest about what they sold (at least from my point of view, can't speak for others that have done business with them.) I loved shopping there. Guitar Center just doesn't seem to care. They seem to care more about ripping people off, pretty much.

I'll say. That's the price we pay for online buying with no sales tax. It should be restructured so Daddy shoppes can fairly compete.

I did not read whole thread.. I have a PC88.. I like it very much.. made of METAL.

I was wondering about the POWER supply though. Years ago Power supplies were at a premium.. Finding a spare for my PC88 had me concerned.

You don't have ideas, ideas have you

We see the world, not as it is, but as we are. "One mans food is another mans poison". I defend your right to speak hate. Tolerance to a point, not agreement

I have to mail a speaker to a company for repair... Should I be worried about it if it's UPS, which I believe is their go to people?

You don't have ideas, ideas have you

We see the world, not as it is, but as we are. "One mans food is another mans poison". I defend your right to speak hate. Tolerance to a point, not agreement

I'll say. That's the price we pay for online buying with no sales tax.

GC does charge sales tax.

And don't worry, since Amazon has started charging sales tax that is in the future for all Internet purchases.

Kurzweil Forte, Yamaha Motif ES7, Muse Receptor 2 Pro Max, Neo Ventilator

It depends on where you live. No sales tax here in New Hampshire, so I don't pay sales tax.

Hardware

Software

Archived