Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

GET WELL, JONI!

whitefang

I knew she had SOME kind of health malady, but never was sure just what.

Heard about her loss of conscousness and last heard she's awake and doing OK, and I'm praying some RELAPSE doesn't happen!

We LOVE ya, JONI----GET WELL SOON! :thu:

Whitefang

I started out with NOTHING...and I still have most of it left!

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here's to her wellness and recovery!

While I'm not a big fan of much of Joni's music, she was a huge influence on Robert Plant and Jimmy Page, so that alone makes her great. Get better, Joni.

I love what she and Jaco Pastorius did together...

____ [video:youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hbr0hXkArWg&feature=youtube_gdata_player

______

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Legendary '60s Singer Hospitalized

Joni Mitchell

Legendary Singer Hospitalized

3/31/2015 5:45 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

EXCLUSIVE

Joni is still in intensive care, but her people say she is "awake and in good spirits." We've learned she had a surgical procedure some time after arriving at the hospital on Tuesday.update Singer-songwriter Joni Mitchell -- who's synonymous with the Woodstock generation -- was rushed to a hospital after a 911 call from her home Tuesday.

Sources tell us paramedics went to 71-year-old Mitchell's Los Angeles home around 2:30 PM. We're told the 911 call was for an unconscious female, but she was alert on the way to the hospital.

Mitchell was in intensive care late Tuesday. It's unclear what prompted the medical emergency, but it appears to be quite serious.

Best wishes for her recovery.

dbm

She always did manage to get some fantastic collaborators---

Jaco, Tom Scott, Larry Klein, Wayne Shorter, Steve Stills, Both Chaka Khan and Patti LaBelle as backup singers( though not at the same time), Luis Badrena(not sure of first name), to name a VERY few!

But, HEY! I'm not going to keep talkin' about her like she's already DEAD. :(

But, I don't understand SHARKMAN! HOW can you listen to "Blue", "For The Roses", "HEJIRA", "The Hissing Of Summer Lawns", "Don Juan's Reckless Daughter" and "MINGUS", and NOT be a fan of her music?

Whitefang

But, I don't understand SHARKMAN! HOW can you listen to "Blue", "For The Roses", "HEJIRA", "The Hissing Of Summer Lawns", "Don Juan's Reckless Daughter" and "MINGUS", and NOT be a fan of her music?

Whitefang

Because I have never heard those songs before. Last night, coming home from the Cabela's store, 11 year old Emily said she wanted to listen to classical music on the radio (she plays violin at school). The radio station was on 106.3, and not coming in clearly. I told her that the classic station was 106.7, so I switched to that. Classic ROCK, anyways. So, we drove home listening to Def Leppard, Ozzy, Motley Crue, Judas Priest, and all sorts of other wonderful classic music. As a 55 year old teenager, I can't quite handle old people music.

I rock; therefore, I am.

Whitefang

. So, we drove home listening to Def Leppard, Ozzy, Motley Crue, Judas Priest, and all sorts of other wonderful classic music. As a 55 year old teenager, I can't quite handle old people music.

Hey Shark,

As I have often observed in the past, a personal aesthetic is highly subjective. The fact that an individual doesn't like a particular artist or genre does not negate the validity of the artist/genre. It just means that they don't care for the music.

I can recall a long while ago (maybe a year or more) I believe it was you (but may have been another member) who stated that they didn't like Jazz vocals. Does that mean that Jazz vocals isn't a viable musical sub-genre? Of course not. It's simply a personal preference.

I should mention that the groups mentioned as "wonderful classic music" in your post hurt my ears. Does that make them any less "wonderful"? Certainly not. It just means that I don't like that music.

That's why Baskin and Robbins has all those different flavors of ice cream. Because, people have different tastes. Variety, as they say, is the spice of life.

P.S. Although I wish her a speedy recovery, I was never a Joni Mitchell fan either. I was immersed in the Blues and R&B in the '60's and her music was too hippie-dippie, goody two-shoes for my taste. "Different strokes for different folks".

If you play cool, you are cool.

It might(or might not) interest some of you that Joni too, was somewhat immersed in Blues, R&B and JAZZ as well back in those days.

I'm wlling to bet that some of you who claim to not like her MUSIC never really sat down to LISTEN to it, or you'd have CLEARLY noticed all those influences in it.

However, I can understand and appreciate some negative responses on a different level. Look how many people just LOVE, LOVE, LOVE Barbara Streisand. THERE'S someone I don't much like. Oh, sure, I CAN'T honestly say she can't sing, or doesn't have a fantastic set of pipes. Just it's WHAT she sings with them I don't really care for.

And I'm still trying to figure out what's so "goody two shoes" about "Cold, Blue Steel and Sweet Fire", "Woman of Heart And Mind", "Coyote", "Raised On Robbery", "Hejira", and especially "The Dry Cleaner From DesMoines" from her "Mingus" LP!

Whitefang

I believe she is/was a heavy smoker, that doesn`t help.

I read an article some time ago, where she was included in a list of those for whom `it`s time to hang it up`-in Joni`s case not because of her music but her freakin ego. The writer said in her case it was particularly painful because there was a time when she was the best, in the world, period. I had no problem with that statement. Her music, once she got out of the sweet-voiced folk singer thing, was light years beyond anything else on commercial radio. In any case I wish her a full and fast recovery.

Get back here Joni!

Same old surprises, brand new cliches-

Skipsounds on Soundclick:

www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandid=602491

Please read the first three sentences of my post again. They are self explanatory.

I'm sorry, Fred....

Only the FIRST line of my following post was aimed at you. The rest was for SHARKMAN'S benefit. However, you MIGHT like Joni's "Mingus" LP. :) (Jaco does some FINE work on it, as he also does on "Hejira".)

Whitefang

"Ladies of the Canyon" was almost a mandatory album for all the women I knew in my first years in college, early 1970's, so it is thoroughly burned into my music memory bank. I liked all that early Joni folk stuff. Then "Court & Spark" was about the most amazing self re-invention I had ever heard. After a bit of time off she went from delicate folk to gritty jazz, & made it seem perfectly natural. Anyway, although I never owned any of her albums, I've always had the greatest respect for her artistry & musical integrity. She's an incredible talent. Best wishes for a quick recovery.
Scott Fraser

Truthfully, Joni would BRISTLE at your referral to her as a "folk singer". She never DID like that designation, preferring to just call herself a "singer/musician" And add composer to that, eventually.

Now, supposedly, she suffers from a condition called "Morgellons" (nope---NO apostrophe), which many physicians feel isn't a real disease. (Lest we forget, they also felt that way once about ALZHEIMER'S and CLINICAL DEPRESSION! What bothers ME is that many of the "symptoms" of Morgellons sound like what I'VE been experiencing after my TIAs! :0

Now, there WAS a short period in the 1980's in which she did what I'd call "Questionable" music, at least for HER! However, she recovered well enough to give us "Turbulent Indigo". Both the CD and the title song are superb. Give it a listen. Plus, give "Mingus" a listen as well. :)

Whitefang

<---even though I was never a fan of her early stuff, when she went jazz, she began to interest me. I like this tune God Must Be a Boogie Man and Mingus was cool too. She's a highly talented artist, Get well Joni! :cool:

ps. dig that bass...

Take care, Larryz

:cool:

ps. dig that bass...

Yep! It's HARD not to like what JACO ever does! (or....uh, DID! :( )

I've always liked "The Dry Cleaner From DesMoines" :)

Whitefang

Hey Shark,

As I have often observed in the past, a personal aesthetic is highly subjective. The fact that an individual doesn't like a particular artist or genre does not negate the validity of the artist/genre. It just means that they don't care for the music.

I can recall a long while ago (maybe a year or more) I believe it was you (but may have been another member) who stated that they didn't like Jazz vocals. Does that mean that Jazz vocals isn't a viable musical sub-genre? Of course not. It's simply a personal preference.

I should mention that the groups mentioned as "wonderful classic music" in your post hurt my ears. Does that make them any less "wonderful"? Certainly not. It just means that I don't like that music.

That's why Baskin and Robbins has all those different flavors of ice cream. Because, people have different tastes. Variety, as they say, is the spice of life.

P.S. Although I wish her a speedy recovery, I was never a Joni Mitchell fan either. I was immersed in the Blues and R&B in the '60's and her music was too hippie-dippie, goody two-shoes for my taste. "Different strokes for different folks".

Fred, I agree with you about everyone having different tastes. I wouldn't say that I don't like jazz vocals. It's more like I do not ever listen to jazz vocals. But then, I don't listen to all kinds of music that I don't like to listen to. On the drive to Cabela's, Cristal (Emily's mom) was listening to Christian music on the radio. That's not what I like either, but I didn't criticize it, I simply tuned it out.

We're all allowed to like or dislike whatever music we choose to like or dislike. I don't ridicule others for their taste in music (unless it's rap), and I don't care for anyone ridiculing me for the guitar oriented rock that I love so much.

I remember back in high school, I knew a few guys who were huge Yes fans. Although I was and am a Yes fan, these guys had the opinion that, since Yes was so much better than anyone else, THEY were so much better than anyone else. What dorks!

I rock; therefore, I am.

I've seen those kind of guys come from OTHER interest in music, too.

Like JAZZ guys who think anyone who DOESN'T like jazz are "Philistines". Or the COUNTRY MUSIC crowd is a good example.

Hell, even in JAZZ the terrain is divided!

There are some who feel the stuff coming out after 1970 wasn't "real" jazz, and the guys into THAT stuff thought the others were stuck in the mud and claimed to HATE that "Sleepy time" jazz( old Miles, Coltrane, Rollins and stuff)

Yeah, NOT liking this or that is fine. Making FUN of it's OK too. But, making fun of the people who LIKE it(or DON'T) goes a bit far. As long as their reason for NOT liking it sounds like they DID give it a close enough listen, then, as the old woman once asked,---

"WHERE'S THE BEEF?"

Whitefang

I think Joni is a very good singer and brilliant songwriter and innovative guitarist (coming up with great parts in all sorts of tunings).

But, when it comes to HEALTH issues, I'd pray for her if she was completely tone deaf... questions like that have nothing to do with talent, IMHO.

Re: different tastes - that's a good thing, it makes for variety.

Archived