Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Styx Come Sail Away solo help on creating patch

c4racer

It's been interesting to me to see the different approaches to this. Obviously Styx does it with 2 keyboard players (JY has played keys live on this every time I've seen them, which has been probably half dozen times over the years). So if you don't have a second keyboard player, you have to pick and choose parts, or use a sequence or something like that. The latter is what I did on my Kronos (looped pattern with start/stop).

My aversion to patch changing limited my real estate. Top keyboard is piano, pedal swells in phases strings, switch in right hand brings in flutey lead between 1st and 2nd verse.

Lower keyboard had several zones. This is the keyboard I played this breakdown part on. LH phased string chords. RH I used a hybrid patch of flutey lead with some synth brass snap, Portemento with delay. Velocity brings in the more brassy character, glissando with the portomemto can create some of the dive stuff, delay timed perfectly for much of it. At the end, mod wheel in addition to doing pitch mod adds crazy reverb depth/time, and in the LH I have a patch with heavy reverb that does a dive that sounds like a descending palm smear (1 key strike).

On the top keyboard, I hit start to initiate the keyboard and bass pattern (the band I learned this for just sat out this whole section). Only thing I missed was the initial dives first going into the breakdown - I intended to add those, but despite doing all the work on this, it never showed up on the set list for the band I was filling in with. I figure they probably weren't comfortable attempting it with a fill-in. Too bad, they missed out.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply
All the best rock came from the midwest.

Please elaborate.

Kansas...questions?

Hardly a footnote.

What's with the hatin' George? Ex wife from the mid-west? Tired of hearing Carry on Wayward Son or Dust in the Wind? Or you just love being a contrarian?

You want me to start this song too slow or too fast?

Forte7, Nord Stage 3, XK3c, OB-6, Arturia Collection, Mainstage, MotionSound KBR3D. A bunch of MusicMan Guitars, Line6 stuff

IMO, "cut through a loud" band is a problem to solve, a band shouldn't be playing loudly during that section...

I personally wouldn't sweat the sound being exact; as you are likely seeing from their live stuff, the sounds can be pretty different (comparing Caught in the Act, which was an old live album at least). I was a big Styx fan growing up...I like the live lead sounds he got much better, but the organ and rhythm synths didn't sound as good live generally (IMO of course). Listen to the two versions of Crystal Ball for a good example...that lead sound live was AWESOME, but sounded nothing like the album version. I liked the actual solo playing better live two, they were pretty different.

I'm always of the mindset of "catch the feeling" of the parts though. There's also that little sequency high part that kind of plays off the picked guitar, but that part had to go when I used to do this. Like you, I chose the string machine chords and the lead itself :)

Archived