Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Dave Pike Set: Big Schlepp - Solo instrument ID?

Kawai James

Hello chaps,

I intend to play this rather cool Dave Pike number with the band in the future:

[video:youtube]

I will use a vibes sample on my NE3 for the melody (not the greatest sound - sustain is a little weak - but there are no better alternatives that I'm aware of). However, I would like to ask yours suggestions on what to use for the overdriven keys solo from 0:53. I could just select an EP and crank-up the amp-sim drive, but perhaps there's a better solution?

Cheers,

James

x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi--I play vibes and piano. What you are most likely hearing at 0:53 and on is a vibe with pickups on it run through a fuzz from the era.(could have been electromagnetic pickups suspended under the bars OR small contact mics embedded in the bars.) You can also hear this on a few Gary Burton albums of the time, notably a tune called "Vibrafinger." (see youtube--https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LqoO0-UYXnk)

You might see what happens if you run the vibe sample through some sort of distortion pedal.|

Thank you for the replies guys!

VLH, interesting, I had not even considered that it could be vibes with effects added. Partly because of the sustain/looping character of that voice, and also because vibe accompaniments can still be heard in the background...although I guess those could have been from a second take.

I'll give this a try this evening.

Cheers,

James

x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.

Yes, James, I think it was overdubbed. If you go listen to the Burton link, you'll hear a similar sound. Some vibes have a much longer sustain than others, and your sample may not have a long sustain. When I've used distortion on my pickup equipped vibe, it sounds much like what you heard on the recording, and the sustain is increased as well. Not sure why the latter happens.

It could be some other instrument, but it sure sounds like what I described.

Archived