Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Recognizing my own obsession

Fred_C

Bro. Larry,

Just watched the videos. Yeah, the gib. Cl. 57's sound very good. However, I think that I'm still leaning toward the Lollar, Duncan or Benedetto. I do appreciate the info.

BTW: watching that guy improv over "Misty", left handed and upside down made me dizzy.

Brother Fred, I went back and watched that upside down lefty a couple of times and was mesmerized too! At first I was just listening to the pups, then I got caught up in watching his fingers and the way he got those sounds using reverse scale techniques...It Wowed Me!!!

I like using the middle position on a 3way. I blend with volume and tone controls until I get the best sound. Then I play it just like an acoustic guitar and use technique and pick positions to alter the sound. I seldom use the bridge pickup alone. I can get some good country lead sound when I need some extra treble using the bridge pup, but since I play solo most of the time I have to wait until I'm playing with a buddy or a backing track. If I had only one pickup, it would be at the neck position, as I love the clean jazz tone the best...hope the Benedetto works for you. Keep us posted! :cool:

I use 'em all, and vary with my "touch" quite a bit.

I tilt the neck-pickup so that the fretboard-side coil is closer to the strings, and the bridgeward-side coil is further down beneath and away from the strings; I prefer its overall tone that way.

Due to my "touch", I've often had people assume I was using the neck-pickup when I was, in fact, using the bridge-pickup, and vice-verse. I've also had people assume I was using an ES-335 or similar semi-hollow axe in recordings, when in fact it was my Les Paul.

http://www.vintageandrare.com/product/Gibson-ES-330T-1959-24385 <---how about a 330T...

I'd love to get my hands on one of the old vintage Gisons with a single P90 mounted half way between the neck and the bridge or even one just closer to the neck.

http://www.vintageandrare.com/product/Gibson-ES-225T-1958-Sunburst-40018 <---or this ES 225T with the single Florentine style cutaway... :cool:

These two force you to develop that touch LOL!

Take care, Larryz

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
"Phat" is jargonistic. It means "big", "thick", "full".I utilized the non-standard spelling for fun. If it offends your sensibilities, that's too damn bad.

http://www.hark.com/clips/bwjvlfpfzn-youre-phat

Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: âNinety percent of everything is crapâ

My FLMS- Murphy's Music in Irving, Tx

http://murphysmusictx.com/

Bro. Larry,

I readthe description of the ES 330 and noted that they described the tonal character as "slightly different and more universal". I wonder what that means?

<---I think this may be the concept...the position of the P90 pickup being located dead center instead of at the neck or at the bridge would most likely change the tonal character slightly. Maybe for the guy who doesn't want too much jazz or too much twang but something that can get a little bit of both (being more universal) just using the tone knob. It was a concept that didn't really catch on and faded out...until the 3 pickup guitars started showing up LOL!

I remember some of the older pickups on a slide bar that you could slide up closer to the neck or farther back closer to the bridge (I couldn't find any to post though)...

I also remember guys suggesting the center pickup on the Strat was seldom used by itself and most guys used the center pickup in conjunction with the neck and/or bridge pickups for phase sounds...Me, I kind of liked the center position pickup by itself now and then and would like to try one of the old Gibsons with the center mounted P90... :cool:

Take care, Larryz

Bro. Larry,

Watched the video. Far out stuff, man!!! Never saw anything like that before. Incredible!!!

Bro. Fred,

:cool: That is pretty cool! :2thu: I recall a few movable pickup approaches over the years, but I really like that 'spreadable' humbucker design. Hmmm, add a third movable coil between that and the neck that could be switched off or put in either parallel or series with either of the first two... ! (I have a thing for the tone of three single-coils all on in parallel... )

Maybe make each coil similar to a P-90, or Gretsch/DynaSonic, or those of a Seymour Duncan "Stag Mag" (think pairs of Strat-style single-coils used to make a humbucker, with their staggered slug-magnet pole-pieces)...

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Bro. Larry,

Watched the video. Far out stuff, man!!! Never saw anything like that before. Incredible!!!

Bro. Fred,

:cool: That is pretty cool! :2thu: I recall a few movable pickup approaches over the years, but I really like that 'spreadable' humbucker design. Hmmm, add a third movable coil between that and the neck that could be switched off or put in either parallel or series with either of the first two... ! (I have a thing for the tone of three single-coils all on in parallel... )

Maybe make each coil similar to a P-90, or Gretsch/DynaSonic, or those of a Seymour Duncan "Stag Mag" (think pairs of Strat-style single-coils used to make a humbucker, with their staggered slug-magnet pole-pieces)...

Yeah, there's the combination or maybe you just want a pepperoni. I would like just a P90 on the rails to go please LOL! Bob Wilkes is quite a classic luthier in a small shop down under making hand made guitars. He insists that you have to play them even though they are going to cost you a bundle. His finished products are works of art. If you can think of it, he will build it for you, but it will take awhile... :cool:

Take care, Larryz

Archived