Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Recognizing my own obsession

Fred_C

I spend a great deal of time thinking about the acquisition of a high end instrument. The latest object of my desire is a Collings I-35 Deluxe which would set me back over $6K. I spend so much time thinking about it that it is beginning to resemble obsessive behavior.

This weekend, I decided to proactively confront my obsession head-on. I took out my Ibanez AF-125 and Peerless Monarch 16 hollow bodies and placed them on stands. I studied them both scrupulously, comparing them feature for feature. I then plugged them into my Ampeg GFT15-112 amp, set to the 7.5 watt Triode setting. The Ampeg is IMO a very quality quality amp which will perform with some very highly respected amplifiers.

Then, I played some of the most technically challenging music I know through both guitars, paying close attention to tone and playability. They both played and sounded absolutely stellar. Great Tone and impressive Playability. I should probably mention that my Epi Sheraton is not feeling well and needs some repair work. I can see a pickup upgrade in the future (I am considering the Lollar Imperial, Duncan Jazz, or Benedetto B-6).

Due to ill health, the Sheraton was not included in the exercise.

The end result is that I think I am well on the way to recovery from my obsession and didn't even need to go away to Rehab.

If you play cool, you are cool.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So....

Did you determine whether or not it was the PRICE that made the Collings a "high end" instrument?

Or, was it that IT'S "playability" exceeded either one of the guitars you already had?

Since it seems you discovered it DIDN'T, I'm still left wondering why it's the COLLINGS you consider to be a "high end" guitar?

Just askin'.......(Hope your Sheraton gets better...)

Whitefang

I started out with NOTHING...and I still have most of it left!

Glad you got over your GAS attack Fred...I need to sell some guitars before buying any more. I've been drooling over that Scotty Moore Gibson reissue. Not the $8K but the $4K +/- version. Don't give up on a dream, but don't dream to hard either... :drool:
Take care, Larryz

Peace onto you, brother.

The Collings is a work of art. I don't think any of us can gaze upon that guitar and not be moved.

For that reason, it's better off not coming into the grasp of my clumsy hands.

My G.A.S. seems to have settled on pedals... and the fact that I just found a few in a drawer I'd forgotten that I had bought a little while ago (including a Cochrane Timmy) that I hadn't opened yet have made me swear not to buy any more.

Peace onto you, brother.

Hey P-90,

Isn't the biblical greeting "Peace unto you" rather than "onto". I hate to say it but the "onto" kinda' makes it sound like something bordering on offensive. :laugh::laugh:

It's funny, but your finding pedals that have yet been unopened reminds me of my problem with music books. I have stacks of instructional books and transcriptions that I've never opened. I keep telling myself that I'll get to them someday.

We all probably have unopened goodies or half-finished and/or unstarted projects lying around.

I mean, I know I do. Like a milk-crate of new & untouched pedals.

Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: âNinety percent of everything is crapâ

My FLMS- Murphy's Music in Irving, Tx

http://murphysmusictx.com/

@Danny,

"A milk crate of new & unused pedals"???!!!

Brother, you need to get some help!

:drool::wacko::laugh:

And in that spirit, I'd be willing to take any excess off your hands . . .

All joking aside, I find that if I'm not using something, I'm better off trading it in for something I will use. Thanks to some timely advice from Dannyalcatraz, I've been trading away a lot of excess stuff, and coming home with some things I really wanted and needed, instead. At one point I had nearly 30 different OD/Distortion pedals, now I have 5. In the past year, I've brought home a nice Cherry Gibson SG, a Godin Freeway SA, an Epiphone 7-string Les Paul, an Epi Thunderbird bass and a few decent synths, all by trading in stuff I had sitting in drawers, and I play the instruments far more often than I dug out most of the pedals.

"Monsters are real, and Ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes, they win." Stephen King

http://www.novparolo.com

https://thewinstonpsmithproject.bandcamp.com

I mean, I know I do. Like a milk-crate of new & untouched pedals.

I had a milk-crate of not-so-new and very much touched pedals...

No longer in use Hillbilly Pedal Caddy

http://i566.photobucket.com/albums/ss103/CaevanOShite/HillbillyPedal-Caddy-resized.jpg

No pedals were harmed in the making of this picture

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Peace onto you, brother.

Hey P-90,

Isn't the biblical greeting "Peace unto you" rather than "onto". I hate to say it but the "onto" kinda' makes it sound like something bordering on offensive. :laugh::laugh:

It's funny, but your finding pedals that have yet been unopened reminds me of my problem with music books. I have stacks of instructional books and transcriptions that I've never opened. I keep telling myself that I'll get to them someday.

further proof that this tablet's autocorrect feature may be possessed by the devil.

The crate is full of pedals recently acquired with an eye towards making a few discrete pedalboards for particular genres of music.

For instance, I intend to have one for metal, another for surf/spy/space music, one for classic rock/blues type tones, one for the truly weird stuff, etc.

Certain stuff will remain constant- I don't think I'll need another tuner, for instance. Avd I will probably pick a set of pedals to be permanently attached to my CM Octa-Switch. The rest will be...varied.

None of which means that I'm not completely batty. ;)

Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: âNinety percent of everything is crapâ

Peace onto you, brother.

Hey P-90,

further proof that this tablet's autocorrect feature may be possessed by the devil.

LOL!!! :laugh:

The crate is full of pedals recently acquired with an eye towards making a few discrete pedalboards for particular genres of music.

For instance, I intend to have one for metal, another for surf/spy/space music, one for classic rock/blues type tones, one for the truly weird stuff, etc.

Certain stuff will remain constant- I don't think I'll need another tuner, for instance. Avd I will probably pick a set of pedals to be permanently attached to my CM Octa-Switch. The rest will be...varied.

None of which means that I'm not completely batty. ;)

Understood; I was working towards a similar goal, but realized that my multi-effects will give me just about any sound I need, and I can switch 'pedalboards' just by bringing up a new patch. I can also manipulate the sounds in ways most pedals wouldn't allow, like Expression Pedal control over any parameter, from Volume, to Modulation Rate, to Ring Mod Frequency. For now, it's the oddballs, like my Space Station, or that new Korg Miku pedal that continue to hold my interest.

Of course, having said that . . .

"Monsters are real, and Ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes, they win." Stephen King

http://www.novparolo.com

https://thewinstonpsmithproject.bandcamp.com

I have a iPB-10 and multiple portable devices like Korg Pandoras, etc.

I just lurve distinct pedals more- if something goes wrong with my iPB-10, I lose everything unless & until I get it fixed or replaced.

I lose a fuzz pedal out of a board, all I have to fret about is the fuzz pedal.

Bro. Larry,

I am unfamiliar with the Gibson Scotty Moore Reissue. I did a search on him and came up with a website that lists all the guitars he has used over the course of his career and it would appear from the list that he used an L-5 from 2003-2013. I'm certain that an L-5 would cost well over $4K.

Could you please post a link to the guitar so I can take a look at it?

Thanks!

Bro. Fred

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/gibson-scotty-moore-1952-es-295-electric-guitar <---here's the $8,000 signed version. Other than the signature, the $4,000 model looks exactly the same...It's a 1952 ES 295 reissue (which is the guitar he used when he started with Elvis and recorded on Sun records. They are hard to find as they did a limited run but I'll see if I can find one on EBay or other sites. This will give you the idea. :cool:

http://www.themusiczoo.com/product/19078/Gibson-Memphis-Scotty-Moore-Signature-ES-295-Electric-Guitar-Hand-Signed-Bullion-Gold---Used/ <---they only made about 80 of the signed model...here's a great deal on a used one. I think this is #81 which is the last one made.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1953-Gibson-ES-295-hollow-body-electric-arch-top-guitar-gold-top-Scotty-Moore-/151552838059?pt=Guitar&hash=item234940c9ab <---I can't find a $4,000 reissue as they are gone too, but here's a real one for you from 53...this one is at my old favorite guitar store in San Jose. The $4,000 reissue had the original trapeze tail piece just like the original one shown here...

Take care, Larryz

Brother Fred, I should have bought the $4,000 model while it was available just a couple of months ago at Sweetwater and MF. But, I'm trying to avoid the GAS...so I just kick myself in the ass and cry a lot LOL! I have shown maximum resistance on this one... :cry:
Take care, Larryz

I try to be practical.

If I buy a $6K guitar, how can I use it to recoup my investment?

1. Take it to 60 gigs that net an average of $100. This is not likely to happen. Besides the risk of being stolen or knocked over and broken there's the wear and tear to worry about.

2. Use it only for studio projects that produce at least $6K net profit. Anybody here made that much money as a studio guitarist? Maybe a studio owner, but that takes some serious coin to establish and a $6K guitar would just be a drop in the bucket.

3. Keep it in a case and wait for it to appreciate. You would have to take it out periodically to play it and maintain it, but more as a museum curator handling a work of art. There are probably better ways to invest cash.

So for me, at least, I don't need a $6K guitar. YMMV.

I have a crate, too... those at least got opened...

I saw a band somewhere that were using Crates....Good sounding AMPS!

FRED! You STILL haven't answered my question!

Whitefang

[quote=whitefang

I saw a band somewhere that were using Crates....Good sounding AMPS!

FRED! You STILL haven't answered my question!

Whitefang

I'll answer your question.

It has dawned on me that the only reason I want a very expensive guitar is because it's expensive. Like the acquisition of an expensive automobile, it is subject to the Law of Diminishing Returns. It's more about perceived value and "pride of ownership" than absolute value. I had mentioned that I had played a Knaggs Cheyna at a guitar show last June. It is very fine and pricey instrument ($5k aprox.). Was it better playing/sounding guitar than the guitars I currently own? Yes. Is it worth 4-5 times the money? The most appropriate answer to that question is the old saying, "it's only expensive if you can't afford it".

I am really very happy with my current instruments. But as Brother Larry recommended, I will probably not abandon my dreams.

"Pride of ownership". I like that. Seems like the same reason I'd still love to own a Martin HD-35, Gibson Hummingbird or LP Goldtop. Or even a '72 Hagstrom Viking V-1, or a Mosrite Gospel. NOT that,as I once had, still believe either one would make me a better player, and CERTAINLY not that I could do ANY of them any justice! Just to HAVE them! :)

Whitefang

I try to be practical.

If I buy a $6K guitar, how can I use it to recoup my investment?

1. Take it to 60 gigs that net an average of $100. This is not likely to happen. Besides the risk of being stolen or knocked over and broken there's the wear and tear to worry about.

2. Use it only for studio projects that produce at least $6K net profit. Anybody here made that much money as a studio guitarist? Maybe a studio owner, but that takes some serious coin to establish and a $6K guitar would just be a drop in the bucket.

3. Keep it in a case and wait for it to appreciate. You would have to take it out periodically to play it and maintain it, but more as a museum curator handling a work of art. There are probably better ways to invest cash.

So for me, at least, I don't need a $6K guitar. YMMV.

ditto.

Fred C.

if you want a beautifully made and underappreciated/underpriced used guitar along the lines of that Collings semi-hollow, look into the Heritage and Hamer equivalents. Bargains because they don't have the "it" factor.

I have a contrarian aspect to my personality, which luckily sends me in the opposite direction from the herd.

Archived