Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Waldorf Zarenbourg anyone?

JohnDoe

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You can't get them in the US. Apparently Waldorf didn't go through the process to meet FCC computing device certification. You can get them in the EU and the UK. They recently did a special run of 100 units in black. I'd love to play one, but in the greater NY area there are none to be found. I wrote their distributor in the US and they are frustrated as well as there appears to be interest on this side of the pond for this axe.

Reviews suggest that the acoustic piano and other sampled stuff is ok, but the modeled electro-mechanical stuff and FX are very good. And obviously the interface is the coolest thing about this instrument - not to mention the big flat top as synth stand.

This is the most comprehensive review I've ever seen on it.

[video:youtube]

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

I played one when I was in Germany this time last year. Really nice action and interface, but my German isn't good enough to ask the staff to locate the power lead, so I can't say anything about the sound! I never realised it was made by Waldorf, the badge on the front only says Zarenbourg.

Cephid - Progressive Electro Rock

Oh yes, it's Waldorf. I too played it silently at NAMM a few years ago when it was still vaporware. Non functional unit. They are using Fatar actions like most everyone else, obviously for this particular model you'd want the TP40/WOOD if it's build to order or an option.

• 3 weeks later...

According to Sweetwater, the Zarenbourg will arrive in the US, spring 2015.

Arriving in the U.S. The Spring!

After a long wait, the Waldorf Zarenbourg will finally be making it's US debut later this year. If you are interested in reserving a Zarenbourg for yourself, please place your pre-order with us as early as possible - that way we'll be able to ship your order from Sweetwater's earliest possible shipment.

According to Sweetwater, the Zarenbourg will arrive in the US, spring 2015.

and listed as a "Price Drop" no less LOL!

no weight listed.

I like the idea of this piano but for me the price is prohibitive, plus I would never spend that kind of money without playing it first. I'm probably not alone in this camp.

:nopity:

Bizarre right? A drop from what? It has never been for sale in the US - but has been in the UK and Europe - a drop from where they first intended to sell it before the FCC slowed down shipments to US?

B&H was the only dealer in the US where I had actually briefly seen it on order a few years ago. Then they pulled it, and now it's back, same price point as Sweetwater. My guess, its street price has to be less than a Nord Stage 2 or a Yamaha CP1. So $4299 it is.

Setup and played at Andertons in the UK.

And they are working on an editor...

http://www.petermmahr.com/files/2013/10/Zarenbourg-Editor-Electric-Grand1.jpg

http://greatsynthesizers.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/690x550_Zarenbourg_FM.jpg

http://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/small/110/ng_zarenbourg1.jpg

But yeah, cost is prohibitive... unless you think of it like it weighs less than a Rhodes but it does Wurly, DX, acoustic, and strings....

I've been intrigued with this.....but, for that size,weight and price, you might as well get a Vintage Vibe Piano.......I'm just sayin'

"I have constantly tried to deliver only products which withstand the closest scrutiny � products which prove themselves superior in every respect.�

Robert Bosch, 1919

I've been intrigued with this.....but, for that size,weight and price, you might as well get a Vintage Vibe Piano.......I'm just sayin'

VV 73k - $5670 + $1495 w/ MIDI = $7,165.00

Yamaha CP1 88k - $4,999.99

Nord Stage 2 88k - $4,499.00

Waldorf Zarenbourg 76k - $4,299.99

Nord Stage 2 76k - $4,199.00

I think with a VV or a Rhodes restoration you are playing in a whole different ball park from a digital. They are beautiful instruments that you really can't compare with but the investment is big in time and money to do one particular thing well. Base price $5670, even if you pass on MIDI, you're then into keeping up the wear and tear parts. If you don't like the sound you have to open up and get into modifications. If you want to design the sound you're in the boutique analog pedal scene, and of course it's just wrong not to run it through a proper tube amp.

The Waldorf is intriguing because as far as digital facsimile's go - they've thought about a lot of things here. The vibe is cool right from the start with size, shape, and weight. No display, everything is nice pots, switches, and buttons. On board amp and speakers, focus on rhodes, but also wurly, clav, CP70/80, a 6 operator DX/FM, acoustic piano, strings and orch sound - all the usual suspects in modeled fx, analog and spdif outs, aux inputs, sustain and continuous pedal inputs.

The manual is worth a look.

Walking through the sounds and interface.

I played the one on display at NAMM last month. No external amplification, just over the onboard speakers, which weren't much good. Piano sounded horrible tinny on them. Rhodes fared a little better.

Usual NAMM caveats apply (high ambient noise etc.)

local: Korg Nautilus 61 AT | Yamaha MODX8

away: GigPerformer | 16" MBP M1 Max

home: Kawai RX-2 | Korg D1 | Roland Fantom X7

All, good points, Mister Fudd, but will the Zarenbourg last 25-30+ years?

"I have constantly tried to deliver only products which withstand the closest scrutiny � products which prove themselves superior in every respect.�

Robert Bosch, 1919

Also a good point, my friend.

Fatar actions are all over the place, I don't know how long they stay in shape. I do remember the Kurzweil PC88 action wearing down to where the most played keys would clickity-clack, but the sensors would still send MIDI. Not sure if they used a Fatar on that model, but it was a good example of an action that didn't stand up to wear and tear. With so many Fatar actions in use these days, Fatar should be able to replace parts or entire actions. But I'm not sure how interested they are in small orders. I guess you could get parts from Doepfer. But they don't always have all the models in stock.

And of course the digital keyboards are full of PC boards, if they stay in decent climate control and free of dust - they should run for a long time. And we see that. For example, I bought my Roland XP-80 in 1996. It's in great shape and still running, at some point I'll need to change the battery. So it's approaching 20 years. The JV-1080 rack was made from '94-'01 and there are tons of them still floating around. Power supplies go, displays crap out, sometimes you can get parts, sometimes you can't. 30 years, I'm not so sure, probably not. And the more computer-like they get, like the Kronos for example - probably the shorter the lifespan of various parts, like SSDs and other types of flash RAM, even processors if they run hot with inadequate cooling.

I guess that's the trade off for the multitude of things the digitals can do.

Anyway, I am not a Waldorf plant or the chearing squad for the Zarenbourg. I just think it's a cool concept, it hasn't been available in the US and soon will be. I just want to find a showroom to play it and see for myself. If any of you beat me to it, please share! All opinions welcome! :)

......in the meanwhile I have a Rhodes MkI with a cr@ap action that needs the bump modification and if I can find the time the back check mod.

Well put, Senor Fudd!

Have you considered taking your Rhodes to either VV or Retrolinear?

Robert Bosch, 1919

When I first got it I brought it to VV, this is a while ago. Before they were making their light weight tine pianos. The prospect of having it fully restored and sparkle topped was attractive but financially prohibitive. The body and tolex are in decent shape, as is the cover and legs and pedal. It sounds lovely, just plays like poo. I've watched the videos and seen how to install the bump and back-check mods. I think I can do it, it would just take me longer than them.

But I've never had an aversion to digitals. Just the opposite, I am always watching the technology evolve and for carting gear to gigs, they certainly wear many hats for very little weight and one could argue in certain situations, the difference for the audience is splitting hairs. Perhaps even for the player given the best circumstances. Getting involved with the MkI was purely for my own enjoyment at home, it will never go to gig. Well, maybe I'd drag it around to just the right gig, once. But just once. ;)

Haha! I hear you! You're a better man than I! I would never take a rhodes to a gig if I didn't have a road crew! ;)

Robert Bosch, 1919

Archived