Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Roland Sound Canvas for iOS

analogholic

Although not a Kronos or similar obviously, this is kind of cool.

Was wondering if there are any other IOS romplers out there which can enhance the sound pallete in a slick format when playing live?

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/id952549036?mt=8

All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.

Arthur Schopenhauer

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dave, have you tried iFretless Brass? I'm trying to get over my musical instrument related app addiction, but that one looks pretty neat. This Sound Canvas looks very promising, too but I am in the same boat with just an iPad2. Revisitng Sample Tank now before I plunge for iFretless.

Oh yeah, ThumbJam has a few nice brass options, too.

Didn't intend to derail OP's post and going so off topic, so editing with new experience: Sampke Tank is too CPU intensive for iPad2, so delved into iFretless Brass and Sax package. It is pretty neat, but as I have very little guitar know-how, there's quite a learnng curve on the interface. The sounds are fairly good but really lean more towards classical, ie. not really conducive to Motown blats or fast jazz squeals. Also, my EX5's aftertouch kept triggering a volume MIDI message that rendered the app to near zero so had to keep toggling the app's switch on and off. App's MIDI parameters are rather limited and there's no way to turn off MIDI aftertouch; on the EX5 either. Also, notes get stuck a lot and require a quick stomp and release of the sustain pedal. I'll have to try another MIDI controller that does not have aftertouch and hope fore better results. Overall, I'm a little disappointed and find iFretless apps rather expensive.

Would be nice if Roland launched an app inspired by the JV or XP series. Could have all the expansions as in app purchases too (might detract a few sales from the integra I suppose)

Nord Stage 2EX | Nord Wave | Mainstage 3

K&M Spider Pro | JH Audio JH5 IEMs | Behringer XR18 | Radial Keylargo

Dave, have you tried iFretless Brass? I'm trying to get over my musical instrument related app addiction, but that one looks pretty neat. This Sound Canvas looks very promising, too but I am in the same boat with just an iPad2. Revisitng Sample Tank now before I plunge for iFretless.

I have iFretless Bass (and guitar as well) but the bass has some pitch issues when starting up, and using with a controller and a midi interface...for some reason the midi "handshaking" at boot causes iFretless to detune by 4 semitones.

I have raised the issue with the devs and they reckon they did something to sort it, but I tried it again the other day (after a long hiatus - and also after installing an update) however the issue was still there.

Did it with a couple of different attached keyboards as well, even with all the tx filters (apart from notes obviously) set to on.

Just though I would pass it on, and as always ymmv :)

There is no luck - luck is simply the confluence of circumstance and co-incidence...

Time is the final arbiter for all things

Would be nice if Roland launched an app inspired by the JV or XP series. Could have all the expansions as in app purchases too (might detract a few sales from the integra I suppose)

Yeah...at a closer look this seems to be more of a GM module than a rompler...so c´mon Roland

All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.

Arthur Schopenhauer

Thanks for the info.

Dave

Wm. David McMahan

I Play, Therefore I Am

This could be really useful for rehearsals for staged productions, dance shows, musical theatre. But it would need some midi editing features like cut/copy/paste bars, edit overall tempo and tempo changes, key, etc. I'm not sure if any of that is included with the App.

I do however remember when it was cool to have a sound canvas midi'd up to your computer for playback of your game sound tracks. Those were the days. ;)

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

Archived