Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

While in Vegas a week or so back.

desertbluesman

I walked from the Bally's hotel up to the Venetian to accompany my wife and her sister up there, they had 2 free tickets to Madam Tussauds wax museum at the Venetian, and I just wanted to get outside for a bit. After touring the Venetian a bit I started back. They have these elevated crosswalks on Las Vegas Blvd down that way. I went up and over one street and at the bottom of the stairs was this raggedy street musician playing acoustic guitar in 50* weather. He had the guitar resting on his legs sound hole up, and he was doing this 10 finger tapping thing on the fretboard. I was stunned at the skill of this guy. He was selling his homemade CD's and he had a crowd around him. The melodies he did were spectacular, not a misplaced note. Clean as a whistle.

I was tempted to ask him if he would like to come to Phoenix are so I could record him.

Just real good at what he did.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I walked from the Bally's hotel up to the Venetian to accompany my wife and her sister up there, they had 2 free tickets to Madam Tussauds wax museum at the Venetian, and I just wanted to get outside for a bit. After touring the Venetian a bit I started back. They have these elevated crosswalks on Las Vegas Blvd down that way. I went up and over one street and at the bottom of the stairs was this raggedy street musician playing acoustic guitar in 50* weather. He had the guitar resting on his legs sound hole up, and he was doing this 10 finger tapping thing on the fretboard. I was stunned at the skill of this guy. He was selling his homemade CD's and he had a crowd around him. The melodies he did were spectacular, not a misplaced note. Clean as a whistle.

I was tempted to ask him if he would like to come to Phoenix are so I could record him.

Just real good at what he did.

Did you get his CD? What's his name?

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Some of those street musicians are pretty cool. I remember back in 69 in the French quarter in New Orleans walking from bar to bar. There was a little side patio off the main street which cut through to another main street...along one wall was an old back dude playing blues for tips. I have never forgotten how great he was...This was in the days when the barker at the door would give you a peak inside to try to get you to come in and see the act. Usually a stripper. But sometimes it was guys like Dr. John or Fats Domino...I still liked that blues player outside the best though. :cool:
Take care, Larryz

I have seen some pretty amazing videos of street performers who should be on a stage somewhere. But as the cliched but totally factual saying goes, Being on stage isn`t just about talent. Sometimes it`s not about talent at all. It`s always amazing how many deaf ears that fact falls on, and there`s not a thing you can do about it.

Same old surprises, brand new cliches-

Skipsounds on Soundclick:

www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandid=602491

I have seen some pretty amazing videos of street performers who should be on a stage somewhere. But as the cliched but totally factual saying goes, Being on stage isn`t just about talent. Sometimes it`s not about talent at all. It`s always amazing how many deaf ears that fact falls on, and there`s not a thing you can do about it.

Yeah- pathetically, for a while now, for a number of highly visible, successful acts, it's been about lip-syncing and auto-tune with choreography and light-shows. :rolleyes:

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

When I was in school I decided I wanted to be a street musician. Never gave it a serious go, though. ;)

Two-hand tap can be a useful solo guitar technique. (By that I mean performing alone, not shredding while a band backs you up.)

If you think about it two-hand tap is as close as we guitarists can come to keyboard instruments (or harp), playing with a "ten finger orchestra". Classical fingerstyle is another cool solo guitar technique but I don't think it can achieve the same degree of polyphony (number of notes sounded simultaneously).

Unfortunately a guitar is not optimized for two-hand tap. You can still do some cool stuff with a regular guitar -- as the Vegas street musician showed -- but there are commercial instruments better designed for the technique.

Chapman Stick.

[video:youtube]dYKB6Lag-wg

Warr Guitar.

[video:youtube]t9j-vUPy2eU

[To really get an appreciation for what these instruments can do check out some of the classical music pieces; I used these examples because I felt they're closer to what you're familiar with.]

It's not for everyone, to be sure, but it's an alternative way to play solo gigs. In the long run it's probably better to learn piano but we have a leg up with two-hand tap instruments because our fretting hand is already familiar with the interface.

Archived