Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Hardware vs Software, Fa-08 vs UI10 ? help !

Dextroze

Hello !

I'm really wondering what is the best for my use between a software use and an hardware use !

I hesitate between get something like the Roland fa-08 with a lot of sounds/effects/possibilities.

Or get a good midi controller with native instruments ultimate 10.

It's around the same price !

I'm asking myslef...Do I have more possibilities with the software use ?

Is it harder to use on stage ?

It will be for stage use mostly, I want to use effects, synth sounds, glitch sounds, acoustic sounds !

What would you think about fa-08 vs good midi contrôler + ultimate instruments 10 ?

Do you have other ideas ?

I'm really new to this world, i'm coming from the "acoustic piano world".

Thanks guys and merry Christmas !

Nord Electro 6D / Prophet Rev2/ Digitakt / Minilogue / Keyscape -

New video :

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hello !

I'm really wondering what is the best for my use between a software use and an hardware use !

I hesitate between get something like the Roland fa-08 with a lot of sounds/effects/possibilities.

Or get a good midi controller with native instruments ultimate 10.

It's around the same price !

I'm asking myslef...Do I have more possibilities with the software use ?

Is it harder to use on stage ?

It will be for stage use mostly, I want to use effects, synth sounds, glitch sounds, acoustic sounds !

What would you think about fa-08 vs good midi contrôler + ultimate instruments 10 ?

Do you have other ideas ?

I'm really new to this world, i'm coming from the "acoustic piano world".

Thanks guys and merry Christmas !

If you're coming from "acoustic piano world", then you'd be let down if not disappointed on how the key-action of those 49-key/61-key MIDI controllers in general would feel. Majority of these 49/61-key purely-MIDI-controller keyboards (i.e. those with no internal built-in sounds) feel either flimsy, cheap or too light/soft for a person coming from playing an acoustic piano background. Secondly, the number of knobs and sliders/faders in a MIDI controller (depending on its particular capabilities/feature set) may also be quite confusing at first.

I'd suggest you read up initially on the concept of MIDI/MIDI setup, on using a MIDI controller to control the various parameters of a virtual instrument/softsynth and the connections/cables involved etc. to get a bird's eye view of what you're embarking on. There are online articles about these that you can freely read.

Regarding Softsynths/Virtual instruments (like the Ultimate 10 which I presume is the Komplete Ultimate 10 package/bundle):

If you're just starting out on software synths/virtual instruments, it's possible to get either easily overwhelmed by the sheer number of software synths/virtual instruments or lose focus on which software synth to learn first.

IMHO, try to start out with a hardware synth keyboard first (like the Roland FA-08 you mentioned) and one preferrably with 88-keys since your fingers can relate with it more than the soft, flimsy feel of most of the 49/61-key MIDI controller keyboards available. The interface of the Roland keyboard you mentioned is relatively/fairly easy to learn (I have an FA-06- it's 61-key version). Once you get up to speed (after watching some YouTube tutorials, reading the manual of the keyboard) and desire to have more detailed instrument sounds, you can try out the softsynth/virtual instrument world later on.

If you go the softsynth/virtual instrument route, you'd have to consider having a capable if not powerful PC DAW (Digital Audio Workstation) or a capable laptop that meets at least the minimum system requirements of the software (best if it meets the recommended system specs). This PC/laptop will add to the overall cost of your purchase if you don't have a PC/laptop that meets the software's (softsynth/virtual instruments) system specs.

Sonar X3e Dimension Pro EWQL-SO Gold Pianoteq 5.3+Bluthner

PX-5S FA-06 SLMKII Graphite 49 AAS LL EP4 GS-2

Forte 4 Audiohub2x4 ASUS ROG G751(Live)

Scarlett 6i6 1010LT TS110A Minimix 8 EMU XMidi 2x2

Studio and live use of soft synths are different. For studio use a DAW is the preferred host software, for live use on PC software that is specifically designed for live use like Cantabile or Forte for PC or MainStage for Mac is the way to go. These are designed to give you functionality of a high end workstation and more in a performance context.

Best way to see if software live is for you is to try the free version of Cantabile and some of the free VST's and see how you go setting them up. If you then wish to go down this route you can then consider Komplete or many of the available alternatives.

A misguided plumber attempting to entertain | MainStage 3 | Axiom 61 2nd Gen | Pianoteq | B5 | XK3c | EV ZLX 12P

I think the best answer is to get a multi purpoe hardware synthesizer. Korg/ Roland / Yamaha / Casio. Learn that keyboards hardware sounds. Then use that keyboard as a controller and add to it a palate of Soft Synth sounds that the board is missing.

Soft synths are a MAJOR time suck. You only add them when you need the ultimate in Sound Creation Flexibility. Just my two cents.

So responding to the Subject FA-08 or UI10. Get the FA=08 and add a DAW or VST Host.

Yamaha S90XS, Studiologic VMk-161 Organ

Small/powerful (i7, 32GB, M.2 SSD) PC controlled by 10" Touch Screen

Cantabile, Ravenscroft 275, Keyscape, OPX-II, Omnisphere 2, VB3, Chris Hein Horns, etc.

Relevant post in a recent discussion.

- Guru

P.S. This forum has a wealth of information already. To search for softsynths live, google 'site:musicplayer.com softsynths live'. Hint: try a few different keywords, like software/VSTs/laptop, etc. Good luck! :thu:

This is really what MIDI was originally about encouraging cooperation between companies that make the world a more creative place." - Dave Smith

That is true guru !

I should have search a bit more, I tried on the net but not in the forum.

Thank you all for your answers...such good answers here.

Exactly what I was looking for!

I will certainly get the FA-08 and if I get bored with the sounds, I will use it as a midi controller!

I just hope the touch is not too bad, even if i'm not looking for the best keyboard action :)

Thanks again...really great advices!

Nord Electro 6D / Prophet Rev2/ Digitakt / Minilogue / Keyscape -

New video :

I will certainly get the FA-08 and if I get bored with the sounds, I will use it as a midi controller!

I just hope the touch is not too bad, even if i'm not looking for the best keyboard action

Try before you buy. You owe it to yourself. :)

Archived