Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Decent guitar headphone amp needed

loxley11

I normally lurk in the keyboard forum, but I do play a pedal steel as well. Anyway, we have a little one in the house now, and I need a headphone amp to practice with.

Looking primarily at these two models:

Carl Martin Rock Bug

Palmer Pre-Amp

I need something with a line in so I can practice to recordings. Both units function as direct boxes, which I don't necessarily need, but is a nice feature. Both units also incorporate some degree of overdrive/distortion, with it seemingly a more prominent feature on the Palmer. Have read the product reviews and looking to see if anyone has any opinions on one versus the other (build quality, sound, etc). Also, if you know of any other options, I'd love to know. I believe Ashdown also has the MiBass but not sure if that would be a good sonic match.

Thanks,

Drew

"Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the face"

-Mike Tyson

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I use a Digitech Genesis I and also a Genesis III.

The I goes pretty cheap on Ebay and is well worth it.

http://adn.harmanpro.com/product_attachments/product_attachments/166_1396032414/Genesis1_original.jpg

G.

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the World will know Peace": Jimi Hendrix

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=738517&content=music

The Geoff - blame Caevan!!!

I'm probably the most ignorant in here when it comes to this electric guitar accessory stuff....just what is this device, and what is it for?

If it's for what I THINK, I'd have liked to have had one MANY years ago!

Whitefang

I started out with NOTHING...and I still have most of it left!

Whitefang, the two boxes loxley11 mentioned are headphone amps that double as Pre-amps or Amp Simulators. It plain English, you can plug in your electric axe at 3 in the morning, put on your headphones, and wail away, without disturbing anyone else. The box that The Geoff mentioned is a multi-effects, with Amp Modeling; almost all multi-effects have Amp/Speaker Modeling and Headphone jacks.

loxley11, it seems to me like either of the boxes you were looking at would serve, but I'm with The Geoff, as far as the cost benefit to finding a decent used multi-effects unit. First and foremost, you'll get both Amp/Speaker Modeling and a Headphone jack, so your main needs are covered. What you'll also get is a wider choice in Amp & Speaker Models, for one thing. You may find that you want a Marshall sound for some tunes, and a Clean Fender sound for others: a multi effects unit will give you that flexibility, a headphone amp won't.

You'll also get a bank of Guitar Effects, which can be useful to have, even if you're not an effects freak. A little Reverb or Delay can add a lot to an otherwise dry guitar tone. Contrary as it may seem, the effects can add a certain "realism" (I use the word loosely, in this case) to your guitar sounds. If you're trying to play an EVH tune, you're going to want a Phaser or Flanger, if you're playing a U2 song, you'll want a Delay effect, at least, that sort of thing. Used multi-effects can be very inexpensive, by comparison to new models, by they also have a lot of variation in tones, programming and features. If any of your guitar buddies have a multi-effects unit they'll let you try out, it would be worth your time. I'm a big fan of Boss gear, and I know that used GT & ME-series multi-effects often show up around $100-150. FWIW, there are some effects you might enjoy running your keys through, as well, like running a Fender Rhodes sound through a mild Phaser. Good hunting . . .

"Monsters are real, and Ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes, they win." Stephen King

http://www.novparolo.com

https://thewinstonpsmithproject.bandcamp.com

I need something with a line in so I can practice to recordings.

Thanks,

Drew

The ME-25 has an Aux in, which was designed for exactly that purpose. It's also very compact, and fairly user-friendly.

"Monsters are real, and Ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes, they win." Stephen King

http://www.novparolo.com

https://thewinstonpsmithproject.bandcamp.com

There are other things to plug into like a multi-effects unit that has been already been mentioned. They allow you to craft your sound with headphones (just be sure you set the volume levels or you can blow your eardrums out LOL!). I would recommend my Digitech Looper. It has a headphone jack and an aux input for anything from a computer, Mp3, tape, etc. plus you have your 1/4" in from your steel guitar and an XLR in from a mic. You can record backing tracks on to it and then overdub your leads, save, delete, etc. Write leads or songs...it is a dry signal that is replayed unless you plug in an amp, PA, tape, out, headphone out, multi-effects out, etc., and capture your wet crafted sound signal before sending to an amp or PA and you can loop that chain too...if you don't need reverb to practice with you just play with the dry signal...

So you have the same thing as the mini amp without having to buy a mini amp and can use all your other toys and record them at the same time while playing with each amp, PA, pedals, knob settings during your playbacks...LIVE...it's really a great tool and it's fun to play with, and nobody can hear it unless you want them to! :cool:

Take care, Larryz

• 2 months later...

Thanks for all the helpful replies! (and sorry for the late reply)

To clarify:

-I do have a Lexicon MPX 1 unit for effects (although as a rack mount unit it is rather unwieldy for live performance, and doesn't have a lot in the amp modeling department). Not really doing much recording these days, though if I did I'd probably just be going through my deluxe reverb knockoff.

-As far as sound goes, the only processing I would want for the pedal steel (practicing or playing direct on stage) is some mild overdrive (think warm country fender break up). Reverb and delay I would only use for live performance; reverb's in the amp already, and I have access to a DelayLa.

Really I'm just looking for something that I can practice with that won't make the guitar sound like crap. The direct box feature was a nice addition, even more so if you could play through it live and not sound like crap. But my guess is that most of the $30 guitar headphone amps out there do sound like the aforementioned crap.

Regards,

Drew

"Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the face"

-Mike Tyson

A used DigiTech GNX4 digital-modeler/multi-fx could be a very good value- price and condition vary (I just saw a used one in good condition on eBay for $114.95; brand-new, they used to go for nearly $500.00).

And it has all the Ins and Outs and routing-schemes (external as well as internal multiple-signal-path combinations) that you'll likely ever need, so being able to practice with CD's, mp3's, YouTube vids, etc. will be a breeze. There are built-in metronomes and drum-loops in a wide variety of styles and beats, too. They are GREAT for headphone and D/I use.

They also work excellently with other pedals put in front of 'em, or even after; though many will find the onboard effects to be perfectly adequate. HIGHLY recommended. It'd work excellently for pedal-steel; its volume-pedal, overdrive (both modeled amp-style and virtual pedal-style), echo, modulation, and reverb options would all serve you and your pedal-steel very well.

Be sure to use some good full-sized headphones that surround the outer-ear, and be CAREFUL with the volume. Also take occasional breaks. It's too easy to damage your hearing, and long sessions cause ear-fatigue that dulls the hearing, often resulting in repeatedly turning up the volume and the treble and bass, which exacerbates the whole thing...

Note the headphone-jack, and separate Output Level, Speaker Compensation, and Ground Lift controls for it and the L and R XLR Outputs:

http://www.sweetwater.com/images/closeup/750-GNX4_img_rear.jpg

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

First off Loxley, I have respect for ANYone who plays pedal steel guitar!

I've tried it, and it AIN'T EASY! But, I had FUN trying! :D

I quickly wondered if this sort of "feature" would be a good idea for AMP makers to have installed into the amplifiers they make?

You know, like it works in your old STEREO recievers when you plugged in your headphones, it would "cut off" the sound signal to your speakers. Why NOT have a jack in the amp in which when HEADPHONES are plugged in , it ALSO "cuts off" the signal to the speakers?

Had I the electronic know-how or business acumen, I'd invent a "converson kit" or something of the kind!

Whitefang

I started out with NOTHING...and I still have most of it left!

http://www.zzounds.com/item--FEN2301060 <---Fender Mustang Floor is the multi-effects unit I use. You can use headphones and craft your sound and go direct to the PA or to an amp. It gets great reverb (you can make any amp or PA sound like a 65 Deluxe Reverb amp). +1 on Caevan's advice be very careful using headphones with this device or any other. This pedal has a level control but make sure you keep the volume down on any and all settings if using headphones...

On Fangs suggestion, I use a ZTClub12 amp which has a headpone out with a level control. It also has a speaker cut off switch. And an Effects loop. You can also use the headphone out direct to the PA. The reverb is a little bit lacking unless it's turned up about 3/4 of the way. But, I can run the Fender Mustang Floor into this amp and solve that little quirk easily. Again if using an amp with headphones, keep the volume on the down low...Have fun! :cool:

Take care, Larryz

Archived