Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Stable stand for tall players?

analogholic

Got a new gig, a "standing gig" :)

So I bought a new K&M X-stand which is 1000mm max height only to find out on the gig that it was way too low. I had an old ditto which unfortunately got stolen. I now understand that its max height must have been around 1400mm.That one is of course not made anymore. On this gig I had to put my flight case under the PC3X to get it where I wanted it.

Not only that, this POS almost collapsed on the soundcheck. A bit embarrasing as it was the first time I met the band....yeah I know, X-stands blah blah :) So this one is going back! I have had my Quik-lok two tier X-stand for about 12 years, never a single problem. That one is built like a rock, but also too low for standing.

So what gives?

K&M Spider Pro? I hear it wiggles sideways especially with something like the PC3X

All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.

Arthur Schopenhauer

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I go 6'6" (198cm) and have always had the same problem. Other than a 2 year road gig back in 1990 where I used an Invisible 2-tier, I've always made my own (sadly non-collapsible) stands out of Ultimate Support Systems "tinker toys." There's another manufacturer that makes those A-Frame jobs now, On-Stage I believe. I just get cut the 38mm tubing to length and assembled them with the T-connectors. Resulting stands are solid as a rock, light as a feather, and will hold a couple hundred KG.

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m305/Koda_Vonnor/Misc/bc_keys_04small.jpg

Only down-side is they don't easily break down for transport, But for me they fit in my SUV with the keyboard cases stacked inside.

~ vonnor

Gear:

Hardware: Nord Stage4, Korg Kronos 2, Novation Summit

Software: Cantabile 3, Halion Sonic 3 and assorted VST plug-ins.

I've always made my own (sadly non-collapsible) stands out of Ultimate Support Systems "tinker toys." There's another manufacturer that makes those A-Frame jobs now, On-Stage I believe. I just get cut the 38mm tubing to length and assembled them with the T-connectors. Resulting stands are solid as a rock, light as a feather, and will hold a couple hundred KG.

Only down-side is they don't easily break down for transport, But for me they fit in my SUV with the keyboard cases stacked inside.

~ vonnor

+1000. I use wing nuts to ease the teardown. When I want a standing rig, I just insert longer tubes that I have precut to length.

http://www.hotrodmotm.com/images/stand/tall_stand.jpg

Moe

---

I've posted my love for my Spider Pro stand many times. Very stable and you would definitely be able to set the tiers as high as you need.

Rich Forman

Yamaha MOXF8, Korg Kronos 2-61, Roland Fantom X7, Ferrofish B4000+ organ module, Roland VR-09, EV ZLX12P, K&M Spider Pro stand,

Yamaha S80, Korg Trinity Plus

I have an onstage 2-tier z-stand that works well standing, as it doesn't sacrifice stability (as an x-stand will). This stand has been rock solid for several years of gigging. The only con to this stand IMO is that it's not very portable--I keep it fully-assembled to make it quicker to set up, but that means it is awkward to put in my car and carry. Since I don't typically go very far from car to stage, this isn't a biggie (and if it was I'm sure I could use a cart with the stand). But it certainly isn't as portable as my standtastic stand was, where it collapses and fits in a thin bag.

As Stokely mentioned it above, I'll also throw out the Standtastic as an option. They have one that's almost 5' high, and you can put the keyboard arms anywhere along the height to get it perfect. I switched to one for the the same reason, because the X stands were too short for standing playing. Having used it for a few years, this thread caught my eye because I'm not 100% happy with it. It's a good stand, and it folds reasonably easily. But contrary to their marketing, there is some bounce to it. And frankly it just looks a bit odd with a thicker board on there like my CX-3, as the legs are so skinny. The name also became a running joke in my band. Whenever I'd walk into a gig with the included carry bag bearing the logo, one or more band members would inevitably yell "IT'S STAAAANDTAAASSTIC!".
"If you can't dazzle them with dexterity, baffle them with bullshit."

I have a Profile Z-stand that fits the bill. I'm six foot and can play boogie woogie piano on it standing up without the board wiggling in the least, and it's still got another 4 or 5 inches of adjustment upwards.

Wes

Hammond: L111, M100, M3, BC, CV, Franken CV, A100, D152, C3, B3

Leslie: 710, 760, 51C, 147, 145, 122, 22H, 31H

Yamaha: CP4, DGX-620, DX7II-FD-E!, PF85, DX9

Roland: VR-09, RD-800

Archived