Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Yamaha P-300 How much???

B3bluesman59

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A 1994 digital piano weighing 85 lbs?

The flight case is worth more than the piano, and that's probably only worth $75 because it's sized for a P-300.. ;)

Sorry, but you've been around here long enough to know that people are looking for the sound and playability of a Steinway, weighing under 25 lbs, and refuse to pay more than $1500 for it. :rolleyes:

...weighing 85 lbs?

A non-issue if it's not being considered as a gigging board. IIRC, it had a pretty nice action, which would make it suitable as a keyboard for a home studio triggering Ivory or something similar. It's been a while, but I think the internal pianos & some of the EPs were pretty good... but that's based on my standards back in the mid 90's. :laugh:

Point being, I wouldn't dismiss it as worthless. I'd take it over a lot of the cheaper offerings today, as long as I didn't have to move it.

Custom Music, Audio Post Production, Location Audio

www.gmma.biz

https://www.facebook.com/gmmamusic/

A non-issue if it's not being considered as a gigging board. IIRC, it had a pretty nice action

It's not graded, so fails to meet the litmus test for piano actions in 2014 for me...

. It's been a while, but I think the internal pianos & some of the EPs were pretty good... but that's based on my standards back in the mid 90's.

Again... 2014. :2thu:

I've never been a fan of graded action myself. Unless it's an unweighted 88-key board, I wouldn't see myself getting one anytime soon. The biggest issue I've found is most of the weighted actions out now are really slow and sluggish (so forget about covering "Prelude/Angry Young Man" or "Spider Fingers) and also really heavy for my liking.

That being said, if I had the chance, and the funds, to find an older DP (P300 or Roland RD300s) I'd acquire one without question. Best action on an 88 weighted board for my liking, though, goes to the Kurzweil MIDIBoard. (If I recall, there were two different actions. Not sure which one I had, but it was second to none.)

Back on topic, though, to try to answer the OP's original question, it really depends on the market. If it's somebody keeping the P300 at home to practice on, or as a studio piece, That will probably be your best target. That being said, with a case, in mint condition, IMO I'd estimate probably around the $400-500 range.

Hardware

Yamaha MODX7, DX7, PSR-530, SY77/Korg TR-Rack, 01/W Pro X, Trinity Pro X, Karma/Ensoniq ESQ-1, VFX-SD

Behringer DeepMind12, Model D, Odyssey, 2600/Roland RD-1000/Arturia Keylab MKII 61

Software

Studio One/V Collection 9/Korg Collection 4/Cherry Audio/UVI SonicPass/EW Composer Cloud/Omnisphere, Stylus RMX, Trilian/IK Total Studio 3.5 MAX/Roland Cloud

If it's somebody keeping the P300 at home to practice on, or as a studio piece, That will probably be your best target. That being said, with a case, in mint condition, IMO I'd estimate probably around the $400-500 range.

Given the home or studio hypothesis, the case is completely worthless.

For $400-500, why not just buy a used Yamaha P95 for the same (or less) money?

I played a used P300 in a music store as recently as 2 years ago. At first I did a double take, since the model designation suggested that it was newer than a P200 or P250. Thankfully I knew better. :/ They were asking $500 for it, which is probably a fair price for what it is, and after 18 years of depreciation...

As mentioned above, it's really not competitive with what's on the market right now, even at a fair price and in good shape. If it's just a practice keyboard to live in your living room, it might still be attractive as an alternative to a crappy old acoustic spinet. It does play well and sound good. If he'll let it go for $300, go for it! :)

><>

Steve

Thanks for all the input...as Sven said I have been on this board for a long time and I do know the correct model number...and yes, I do realize that the P300 is not a gigging board anymore. I bought it to use in my music room and that's where it has been. I got the road case free from a company that owed me a favor so when they offered...I took it. The P300 does make a great board for home use and it still sounds good even compared with todays DPs. I am currently using a Privia PX-3 for my solo gigs and an SK-1 73 for my band gigs. Just don't need the P300 anymore...so I'll shop it around and see what happens. Again thanks for the info.

Archived