Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Creating setups in Kurzweil PC3

bourniplus

Hi everyone,

when creating a setup on the PC3, is it possible to keep the control changes that come with each individual program? For example, if I use a synth program in which sliders A and B control the filter, is there a way that these CC assignments will "follow" when the setup is created? I have looked in the manual but couldn't find an answer. Thanks in advance.

"Show me all the blueprints. I'm serious now, show me all the blueprints."

My homemade instruments

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't have my PC3 around so I can't check if there is a way to import the program into a setup and copying the functions of the sliders. The way I do it however, is just to manually assign those functions to the sliders. For instance, if you have a synth patch and slider A controls the cutoff, I go to the sliders page in setup mode and assign slider A to (written under the slider, I think slider A says midi 13..) midi 13. Hope this helps.

Hi everyone,

when creating a setup on the PC3, is it possible to keep the control changes that come with each individual program? For example, if I use a synth program in which sliders A and B control the filter, is there a way that these CC assignments will "follow" when the setup is created? I have looked in the manual but couldn't find an answer. Thanks in advance.

Short answer - no. In each zone of a setup, you must enable the sliders you would like to use. On the slider page, just move the slider while holding Enter.

On this page you can also re-assign sliders to send different MIDI messages. This could be useful if you have several programs that all use Slider A. What if you want to control each program's slider effect separately?

On Zone 1 Slider A would be enabled normally, set to "Data" (Slider A's default MIDI #).

On Zone 2 Slider B would be reassigned to send "Data"

On Zone 3 Slider C would be reassigned to send "Data".

Just select Slider B/C and then move Slider A while holding Enter.

if I use a synth program in which sliders A and B control the filter, is there a way that these CC assignments will "follow" when the setup is created?

The answer is yes!

When you're in program mode on the PC3, the sliders send on the CC #'s printed at the bottom of each slider (e.g. Slider A=CC 6, B=CC13, C=CC22, etc.).

If you want to have the same slider assignments in your setup, then simply go to the Slider Page for the zone which has the synth program in question, scroll to the destination entry for the slider you want to assign and by turning the data wheel get to the right CC#.

So for example, most programs in the PC3 have slider A controlling Filter Freq, and Slider B controlling resonance. To duplicate that you would go to the slider page, and under destination enter CC# 6 for slider A and CC#13 for slider B.

Ian Benhamou

Keyboards/Guitar/Vocals

[url:https://www.facebook.com/OfficialTheMusicalBox/]The Musical Box[/url]

FYI, you could enter those CC#'s anywhere in setup mode. So if instead of using the sliders you'd rather have filter cutoff controlled by the Mod wheel or an expression pedal then simply enter CC#6 as the destination on the respective controller page.

Ian Benhamou

Keyboards/Guitar/Vocals

[url:https://www.facebook.com/OfficialTheMusicalBox/]The Musical Box[/url]

Quick tip: Start by building your Setup using factory Setup #126 which already contains the assignments from Program mode (saving you the step of manually inputting things), and/or, import zone 1 from Setup 126 (using ImpZn) into whatever you are working on as a basis for new zones.

(note: If you do edit Setup #126 just be sure to save the results elsewhere and *not* re-save it back on top of 126 - which would then affect Program mode itself).

Jean Robert Bellefeuille

Manager of Technical and Customer Support

Kurzweil Music Systems

support at kurzweil dot com

www.kurzweil.com

It depends.

Like I said above, you can re-assign sliders.

So if you have two programs that both use slider A...

In a setup you can have zone 1 with slider A enabled.

On zone 2 you can re-assign slider B to send Slider A MIDI control. Just move the cursor to slider B, then hold Enter and move slider A.

Try this and you will see how it works. It's a good system.

If you do not re-assign, then Slider A will affect both zone 1 and zone 2, which can lead to mayhem. But it is at least predictable.

Be sure to check out these videos. 15-17 cover setup mode.

http://kurzweil.com/product/pc3k8/video/

Here's an example. Don't know if this can be accomplished.

I have two zones. Both of these are Midi source zones; each one pulls in a different VST. One is VB3, and I use all 9 sliders to control drawbars. The other is AAS Lounge Lizard. I would like to use slider 9 (I) to control the volume for Lounge Lizard, but it's already in use as a drawbar slider for VB3. How would I control one VST without affecting the other? In this particular setup, the two zones would not be active simultaneously, but what if they were

you could do one of the following:

- add a volume/expression pedal and assign that to lounge lizard so that when you push down on the pedal it acts like the 9th slider being moved to increase the volume on lounge lizard.

- assign the Mod wheel to lounge lizard so that moving the mod wheel forward could be your volume control for lounge lizard.

- If percussion is engaged on VB3, then the 9th drawbar would be disengaged on VB3 and the 9th slider would only impact lounge lizard when it is moved.

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

From an expression pedal point of view yamaha pedals are wired backwards for Kurzweil, i.e. kurzweil's are compatible with Roland wiring. You may need to swap the tip and ring wires in order for the yamaha pedal to provide a linear 0-127 output on the volume. I think that this also applies to pedals being used as volume pedals.

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

Archived