Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

ID this Leslie?

Jon May

L100 and Leslie eBay auction

http://www.propertyshoot.com/images/L100-Leslie.jpg

This came across my desk this morning. I monitor Hammond auctions out off a whimsical notion that I'd like to own one, but that it's really not practical. Interested in thoughts on this. Possibly "too good to be true"?

"I'm well acquainted with the touch of a velvet hand..."

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Wow, that's like nothing I've seen before, at least here in the States. I would even go so far as to say that it is not a Leslie. However, since you are in Oz, all bets are off. I know that the company was sold to an Aussie back in the 80's and they were making different models that never made it to us here in the US. Could be something from that era that was Australia-only?

The Leslie cabinet looks too short to be a 122, might be a 145 (or possibly an older short model).

If you are really interested, might be worth calling the seller and making arrangements for a trip to see the instrument (not being from there, I really don't know how far you are from the seller - but I do know it could be quite a ways).

Howard Grand|Hamm SK1-73|Kurz PC2|PC2X|PC3|PC3X|PC361; QSC K10's

HP DAW|Epi Les Paul & LP 5-str bass|iPad mini2

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Jim

Looks like a non-Leslie cabinet (or a home-made rebuild?).

A few things come to mind:

1) Only 3 louvers on each side (Leslies tended to have 4, at least the ones I've used)

2) Louvers only near bottom, suggesting it's a bass rotor only (like a Model 25 Orpheus)

3) Short (L122 is 44.5" tall, cabinet looks to be no taller than 26" or so?)

LOL, CEB.

But yeah, it looks more like a dehumidifier than a Leslie. It's ALL wrong. Wrong size, wrong finish, wrong wood, wrong louvre, wrong trim.....

There are people out there who believe that putting the Leslie from a spinet into a box yields a Leslie cabinet. They are wrong. What you see there is worth about a hundred bucks IMO.

Hammond: L111, M100, M3, BC, CV, Franken CV, A100, D152, C3, B3

Leslie: 710, 760, 51C, 147, 145, 122, 22H, 31H

Yamaha: CP4, DGX-620, DX7II-FD-E!, PF85, DX9

Roland: VR-09, RD-800

Nice bench, though, might be from a console. Not Hammond though.

Hammond: L111, M100, M3, BC, CV, Franken CV, A100, D152, C3, B3

Leslie: 710, 760, 51C, 147, 145, 122, 22H, 31H

Yamaha: CP4, DGX-620, DX7II-FD-E!, PF85, DX9

Roland: VR-09, RD-800

only bottom louvres suggest to me a homemade "125" only bass rotor type contraption .. either that or a Wine Frig ?/ (although CEB comment on de-humidifier was classic LOL)

PC1x, Hammond XK1c, Deep Mind 6, MS500 (gig rig)

Kurz PC4, Mini Moog Model D, Little Phatty, Hammond M3, Leslie 145, viscount op-3, Behringer model D, Roland GAIA.. (home studio)

Contact them and ask for a picture of the back plate. If it's a real Leslie, the model and serial number would be there

"In the beginning, Adam had the blues, 'cause he was lonesome.

So God helped him and created woman.

Now everybody's got the blues."

Willie Dixon

Archived