Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

ipad or laptop

heehee62

Do you think I should go with an ipad or pc in terms of music production?

I need something super simple. I'm just a beginner hobbyist. Got a motif xs8 keyboard, guitar, and two microphones I want multi-channel input. I really like the sounds on my motif so want to be able to send both audio and midi input from my keyboard.

Actually, is there a reasonably quick way to turn all the sounds on my motif to software vst sounds? I've been recording all my keyboard playing in audio not midi so I can keep the same sounds in my DAW. I wonder if I'm going about things the wrong way.

What interface would you guys recommend if you think ipad is the right choice? I was hoping for something that I could use live without having to hook up to a pc/ipad at all like the motu ultralite but I don't know of anything ipad compatible that can do that and have all the connections I need. I'll live without this stand-alone option if you guys think ipad is the way to go.

Thanks.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You asked one question and then expanded and changed your use a bit. For recording I would definitely go laptop. The iPad can do some thing's but not that well. The laptop will run circles around it. As for plugins, if you are going to use them, then again go laptop. Remember that your plugins will use up some processing power from the computer. The more plugins the less processor for recording. There is a trade off there. There is nothing wrong with using the audio from the motif to record. As for your interface, this will depend on how many inputs you want to use at one time, and then it gets subjective. I have and like the focus write scarlet for small stuff. It is only two channel input and is a USB interface. For bigger stuff I use a Mackie onyx 8. It is an 8 channel mixer with a FireWire output. iPad interfaces are typically one channel. This will get the topic started. I am sure that more opinions and comments will start flowing in soon.

Yeah - multitracking audio can get hairy real fast on an iPad. Of course it depends on the model as well as the app, how many tracks and effects you can get in before you have to start "freezing".

If you are just planning on laying down a dozen tracks or so without going nuts on effects you should be OK. iPad certainly is handy and the apps are affordable, but a nice laptop is probably way to go .

Make sure you are getting the most from what you already have. The xs8 is a production studio in and of itself... Max out what it can do for you before you jump forward with computers.

And don't forget that multitrack recorders cost less than iPad or laptops and may offer a more streamlined and economical way to get your music produced.

And don't forget that multitrack recorders cost less than iPad or laptops and may offer a more streamlined and economical way to get your music produced.

I do most of my recording on such a device - a Zoom R8 in my case. Doesn't have anywhere near the feature set of a full-on computer DAW like Ableton Live , Logic, etc. but I've been a lot more productive not being distracted by options that I rarely use.

Make sure you are getting the most from what you already have. The xs8 is a production studio in and of itself... Max out what it can do for you before you jump forward with computers.

Yeah, I used to record all my keyboard playing onto the motif itself. Could add dim memory and then I could record both microphone and guitar on it. Love the motif.

But It's got only one 1/4" jack for other instruments/mics and I want to be able to use all mics/instruments at the same time so need an interface/mixer for sure.

Based on what you guys posted, I think I'll go with laptop. I already have a laptop so it won't cost me any more money. Maybe the interface will come with a free DAW too so that will be covered.

Thanks.

Your XS8 should have come with a starter version of Cubase which runs on both Windows and Mac computers. That would be a good place to start as the Motif will interface with Cubase really well.

Yeah I hated the Cubase version my motif came with. Never could get it working properly. Maybe it's better now but it sucked back then for newbies imho.

They all suck for newbies because DAW's are complicated. They require serious study time and probably the main thing is learning the language of recording engineers.

If you can't get your head around the version of Cubase that you already have then maybe it's better to chuck that whole idea and go with a stand alone 8 input recorder like this one:

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/DP32/

Understand even a recorder like this requires some study too but it's much easier to have all the physical controls right in front of you instead of inside your computer. Then add external recording interfaces and having to worry about configuring the whole thing. It gets very tricky. Oth, once you understand a good DAW then it will run circles around even the best stand alone recorder like this Tascam.

However that level of understanding is for pro level recordists. Very few home hobbyists scratch the surface of something like Cubase. All they do is plug in an instrument and a mic and hit the record button. They might add a little EQ and do some editing to cut out some dead space and call it a day. If that's all you're going to do then the HD recorder is more than enough for you.

Something to look at is a good, simple and FREE piece of recording software called Audacity. Very basic but it will do simple recording and editing just fine.

http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

Bob

Hammond SK1, Mojo 61, Kurzweil PC3, Korg Pa3x, Roland FA06, Band in a Box, Real Band, Studio One, too much stuff...

Archived