Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

My Home Studio / Synth Set-Up

Adam C.

I have used the same Invisible Support double-tier for over twenty years, yikes. That and an old Ensoniq sustain pedal are my oldest working toys! (My Boss DSD-2 pedal went to support the local thieves' guild.) Unlike anything else commercial I've encountered, they were damned near case-hardened. Mine began to rust a bit, so I sanded it off and repainted it. Voila. As with VHS/Beta, the most effective design got the shaft. You'd think the market for them would have remained stout. Their stands simply don't bounce, period, so yeah, they are rightfully prized. As with $#@! keyboard builds, you rarely have the option of buying real quality. I'm glad I've kept mine. Its so tough when broken down, you could use it as a bludgeon on "Sharknado!"

Adam, I like the rig. All that matters in the end is how well you learn to make things bark. Older synths can benefit from a little modern exciter and reverb action, but 90% of the basics still hold from synth to synth. Besides, you were auto-absolved right away, just for owning both a Karma and a later DX7.

"You seem pretty calm about all that."
 "Well, inside, I'm screaming.
    ~ "The Lazarus Project"

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Need to snag one of those rare, two tiered, Invisible stands. In the mid to late 80's I had one; best stand I've ever owned. Tossed it during a 1992 move - :blush: - because the silver finish had flaked off several times...figured I could get another one, in black...If I found one of those silver stands now, I'd just strip it and re-paint it black.

Whoa, whoa, whoa! Hold on a minute now! They made silver ones?! :o Seriously?! How is it that I've gone all this time without knowing this? (I've only ever seen black ones!) That's just crazy, man! Crazy! (Do any of you guys have any pictures of these fabled "Silver" Invisible Stands? I'd love to see what they look like.)

Adam, I like the rig. All that matters in the end is how well you learn to make things bark. Older synths can benefit from a little modern exciter and reverb action, but 90% of the basics still hold from synth to synth. Besides, you were auto-absolved right away, just for owning both a Karma and a later DX7.

Thanks David! Much appreciated, my friend. :thu: And I agree with you about the "older synths" thing, too. There's still a lot of use that can be gotten from some of them if you're willing to invest a little time and patience. Hence, my much maligned (and surprisingly controversial) ROLAND D-50 "Leslie Speaker" effect thread. (I know, Moe. I know... :facepalm::D ) Of course, for me there's also the whole aspect of 'sentimentality' as well. Some of these synths and I go way back...particularly in the cases of the D-50, the DX7 and the 'ol CASIO CZ-3000.

Heh - except I didn't seem to be bidding against anyone in that particular auction. I waited until the last minute so as to not push up the price, and I won with what I think was the only bid. I did bid on another one a week or two prior to that but I didn't get that one.

I'll be honest, I only checked with other owners who are already stocked up on Invisibles because I didn't want you lot outbidding me. :D Now that I have one, I think your thread idea is a good one. :thu:

Wait- was that the one with the rust around the holes? Yeah. okay: if it was, I was e-mailing the seller, and didn't actually bid on that one. Last one I bid on was originally being sold with a Prophet T-8; I convinced the seller to sell the stand separately, and it ended going for almost $200.00.

..Joe

Setup: Korg Kronos 61, Roland XV-88, Korg Triton-Rack, Motif-Rack, Korg N1r, Alesis QSR, Roland M-GS64 Yamaha KX-88, KX76, Roland Super-JX, E-Mu Longboard 61, Kawai K1II, Kawai K4.

I got this one. It's not the prettiest, but it works and I'll probably clean it up at some point.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Hey, there's no such thing as too many synth pics in a keyboard forum, right? ;)

And THAT rig is why they got divorced. The judge agreed with her when she claimed abandonment.

"You seem pretty calm about all that."
 "Well, inside, I'm screaming.
    ~ "The Lazarus Project"

You don't expect him to actually play all that do you? Like all us keyboard junkies, it's just for show!

That's really kind of my problem: Making everything easily accessible, putting everything together that you have lots of flexibility, having stuff like loopers and drum machines set up so that they are within reach and so on. In other words how to set up your stuff so that actually playing it is fun.

2019 W.Hoffmann T122 upright, Roland FP-50, Roland RD64, Korg Microkorg

I got this one. It's not the prettiest, but it works and I'll probably clean it up at some point.

Yeah, that was the one. I'm getting lazy in my old age: I don't want to clean them up any more...

The previous owner didn't know what he had- even the brackets are on on backwards: the bottom on is actually the top back, and vice-versa.

..Joe

Setup: Korg Kronos 61, Roland XV-88, Korg Triton-Rack, Motif-Rack, Korg N1r, Alesis QSR, Roland M-GS64 Yamaha KX-88, KX76, Roland Super-JX, E-Mu Longboard 61, Kawai K1II, Kawai K4.

Yeah, that was the one. I'm getting lazy in my old age: I don't want to clean them up any more...

The previous owner didn't know what he had- even the brackets are on on backwards: the bottom on is actually the top back, and vice-versa.

..Joe

Not that I know any better, until now. :snax:

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Hey, there's no such thing as too many synth pics in a keyboard forum, right? ;)

Of course not :)

http://www.retrosynth.com/~analoguediehard/studio/keyboards/midi-station-all-1.jpg

Now that's what I call a keyboard set-up! Nice. :drool:

I call dibs on the Mini.

Busch.

And I'll take whatever's left... :cheers:

Archived