Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Chord subs for Higher Ground

v8pete

I've been fooling around with Higher Ground tonight, as we are going to rehearse a version later in the week. Haven't played it in years, but got a nice little 12/8 kind of groove going which was fun. I like to try and throw in some crunchy harmony where I can, to spice things up a bit, but I get to the Ab in the verse (which you can almost make a Gb9/Ab) but this then cries out for a chord substitution over the Db which still resolves nicely to the Eb. Basically I'm struggling to hear a crunchy chord that would sit over the Db bass, that would then resolve nicely to the Eb. Any ideas?

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Don't have any ideas for you but thought you might enjoy this:

Hardware:
Yamaha
: MODX7 | Korg: Kronos 88, Wavestate | ASM: Hydrasynth Deluxe | Roland: Jupiter-Xm, Cloud Pro, TD-9K V-Drums | Alesis: StrikePad Pro|
Behringer: Crave, Poly D, XR-18, RX1602 | CPS: SpaceStation SSv2 | 
Controllers: ROLI RISE 49 | Arturia KeyLab Essentials 88, KeyLab 61, MiniLab | M-Audio KeyStation 88 & 49 | Akai EWI USB |
Novation LaunchPad Mini, |
Guitars & Such: Line 6 Variax, Helix LT, POD X3 Live, Martin Acoustic, DG Strat Copy, LP Sunburst Copy, Natural Tele Copy|
Squier Precision 5-String Bass | Mandolin | Banjo | Ukulele

Software:
Recording
: MacBook Pro | Mac Mini | Logic Pro X | Mainstage | Cubase Pro 12 | Ableton Live 11 | Monitors: M-Audio BX8 | Presonus Eris 3.5BT Monitors | Slate Digital VSX Headphones & ML-1 Mic | Behringer XR-18 & RX1602 Mixers | Beyerdynamics DT-770 & DT-240
Arturia: V-Collection 9 | Native Instruments: Komplete 1 Standard | Spectrasonics: Omnisphere 2, Keyscape, Trilian | Korg: Legacy Collection 4 | Roland: Cloud Pro | GForce: Most all of their plugins | u-he: Diva, Hive 2, Repro, Zebra Legacy | AAS: Most of their VSTs |
IK Multimedia: SampleTank 4 Max, Sonik Synth, MODO Drums & Bass | Cherry Audio: Most of their VSTs |

Chris Coleman is one of the sickest drummers in LA! And there's a LOT of great drummers in LA.

I mean, hey, to hang with Weckl and not sound like a wannabe...

@OP: if you're looking for something more sedate, Fourplay did a rendition of "Higher Ground" as well, on their first album I think it was.

local: Korg Nautilus 73 | Yamaha MODX8

away: GigPerformer

home: Kawai RX-2 | Korg D1 | Roland Fantom X7

Archived