Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Anyone still use a Quadrasynth??

Justin Havu

Hey gang! I just acquired an Alesis Quadrasynth, and I've got the factory patches via SysEx. Problem is I'm not quite sure how to go about loading them into the QS. I have a DAW (Sonar), I have the SysEx loaded into Sonar, tried sending it, but not sure if the QS is receiving it.

Hardware

Yamaha MODX7, DX7, PSR-530, MX61/Korg TR-Rack, 01/W Pro X, Trinity Pro X, Karma/Ensoniq ESQ-1

Behringer DeepMind12, Model D, Odyssey, 2600/Arturia Keylab MKII 61

Software

Studio One/V Collection 9/Korg Collection 4/Cherry Audio/UVI SonicPass/EW Composer Cloud/Omnisphere, Stylus RMX, Trilian/IK Total Studio 3.5 MAX/Roland Cloud

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm still an avid QS user myself (not original Quadrasynth, but one of the later QS models). Same essential engine, though.

I would use a simple MIDI utility like Bome's SEND-SX instead of a full-fledged DAW. I haven't done this in years, though, so make sure to read the manual carefully -- check things like global MIDI channel, whether or not write-protect is on or off, etc, etc.

In fact I've had more recent experience doing full-fledged sampling into the QS (using those re-writable flash cards) than with simple sysex transfers of programming data. That's one of the main reasons I still use my QS and haven't traded up to a Motif, S-90, Kurz, or other ostensibly better board. 'Cause I've got my own acoustic piano and Rhodes samples in there, and I like them.

Kurzweil PC3, Yamaha MOX8, Alesis Ion, Kawai K3M

Also, you may need to slow the transmission speed. I had no problem sending patch banks from my ALESIS Ion to my Mac, but sending them back to the Ion failed consistently until I halved the transmission speed. Sysex Librarian had a control for setting this (didn't see anything like that in my DAW), and it also provided nice visual feedback about the transmission, unlike Digital Performer.

MIDI OX worked like a charm! Got all 8 factory banks (and a few others) from MIDIworld. Y'know, for being over 20 years old, this synth still sounds great!

Hardware

Yamaha MODX7, DX7, PSR-530, MX61/Korg TR-Rack, 01/W Pro X, Trinity Pro X, Karma/Ensoniq ESQ-1

Software

Studio One/V Collection 9/Korg Collection 4/Cherry Audio/UVI SonicPass/EW Composer Cloud/Omnisphere, Stylus RMX, Trilian/IK Total Studio 3.5 MAX/Roland Cloud

Another question. I need to replace the battery in my newly-acquired QS6.2. I'm pretty handy with a soldering iron, but I'm wondering if installing a battery holder would be easier than just soldering a battery onto the main board. If so, it's just a matter of finding a holder that will fit the QS.

Hardware

Software

I still have my original QuadraSynth I purchased new in 1994. I also bought a QS S4 module.

You can use any sequencer to load SySex patches. Manual is available online and details how to do it.

Muzikteechur is Lonnie, in Kittery, Maine.

HS music teacher: Concert Band, Marching Band, Jazz Band, Chorus, Music Theory, AP Music Theory, History of Rock, Musical Theatre, Piano, Guitar, Drama.

Another question. I need to replace the battery in my newly-acquired QS6.2. I'm pretty handy with a soldering iron, but I'm wondering if installing a battery holder would be easier than just soldering a battery onto the main board. If so, it's just a matter of finding a holder that will fit the QS.

Yes - that's what I did. There is plenty of room to work.

BTW, I own 3 QSPlus Piano, 2 S4+, 2 QS7.1, and a QSR, so if you have any Alesis questions . . . http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v707/HandsomeTramp/smilies/thumbsup.gif

The fact there's a Highway To Hell and only a Stairway To Heaven says a lot about anticipated traffic numbers

People only say "It's a free country" when they're doing something shitty-Demetri Martin

Y'know, for being over 20 years old, this synth still sounds great!

I still have my QS Plus Piano. :thu:

Hey Dave - do you also own a Motif? I started another thread about my recent Motif-Rack XS purchase, and how unhappy I am with it's pianos. I am used to my QS pianos, especially Bright Grand, True Stereo, and Roll Piano. Have you compared them?

Thanks!

The fact there's a Highway To Hell and only a Stairway To Heaven says a lot about anticipated traffic numbers

People only say "It's a free country" when they're doing something shitty-Demetri Martin

Hey Dave - do you also own a Motif? I started another thread about my recent Motif-Rack XS purchase, and how unhappy I am with it's pianos. I am used to my QS pianos, especially Bright Grand, True Stereo, and Roll Piano. Have you compared them?]

Yes, I have a MOTIF ES8. I actually quite like its pianos - IIRC, they're CFIIIS samples. I was using both the Alesis and Yamaha piano samples for a long time - each has it's own sound.

I mainly tend to use Ivory when I'm in the studio these days, though.

Little known fact - the version of the Bosendorfer sample set in the QuadraSynth Plus is bigger than the version that's in the QS series.

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Hey Dave - do you also own a Motif? I started another thread about my recent Motif-Rack XS purchase, and how unhappy I am with it's pianos. I am used to my QS pianos, especially Bright Grand, True Stereo, and Roll Piano. Have you compared them?]

Yes, I have a MOTIF ES8. I actually quite like its pianos - IIRC, they're CFIIIS samples. I was using both the Alesis and Yamaha piano samples for a long time - each has it's own sound.

I mainly tend to use Ivory when I'm in the studio these days, though.

Little known fact - the version of the Bosendorfer sample set in the QuadraSynth Plus is bigger than the version that's in the QS series.

dB

Is that why the pianos on the QS+ transfer to the QS7.1, but not quite exactly?

Probably...

The Alesis system was capable of supporting 32 MB of data. The Quadrasynth Plus had 24MB of onboard wave ROM, and one card slot that could be used to add up to 8MB more. The QS synths had 16 MB of wave ROM (except for the original QS6, which only had 8MB), and two card slots that could each support up to 8MB (except for the original QS6, which only had one card slot).

The piano sample set from the Quadrasynth was the object that got the biggest reduction in shrinking the wave ROM to 16MB while adding a bunch of new waves, including the new Emerson and LA Phil samples.

dB

Probably...

The Alesis system was capable of supporting 32 MB of data. The Quadrasynth Plus had 24MB of onboard wave ROM, and one card slot that could be used to add up to 8MB more. The QS synths had 16 MB of wave ROM (except for the original QS6, which only had 8MB), and two card slots that could each support up to 8MB (except for the original QS6, which only had one card slot).

The piano sample set from the Quadrasynth was the object that got the biggest reduction in shrinking the wave ROM to 16MB while adding a bunch of new waves, including the new Emerson and LA Phil samples.

dB

That's great info, and I never realized that the QS series had only 16MB. Thanks!

It's hard to believe that they would make the same mistake twice, the first being to leave the 8MB piano off the S4+ module, in favor of - ugh - improved GM sounds. Shorting the piano on the successor synth seems self-destructive for a forward-moving keyboard maker.

Do you know: If you use the Grand Piano QCard in an S4+, is it virtually the same as the Quadrasynth Plus Piano? There is also a Jazz Piano QCard. I don't know which one is better.

I used both cards in a QS+Piano and thought the Grand Piano card was much brighter and more expressive. I sold the Jazz Card.

Thanks!

How do the pianos on the card compare to the QS+Piano ones, like True Stereo and Bright Grand?

Do you know: If you use the Grand Piano QCard in an S4+, is it virtually the same as the Quadrasynth Plus Piano?

Yes.

There is also a Jazz Piano QCard. I don't know which one is better.

They're just different. :idk:

The original QS piano is a sample set from a Bosendorfer Imperial grand. The Jazz QCard is a K Kawai piano...and the Classical Piano QCard is a Fazioli F308.

dB

The stereo patch on the keyboard was my preferred piano sound when recording or running in stereo. When in mono I liked the card sounds better.

I thought the QS+P was really a terrific board, but mine later developed the known problem of dropping tune randomly and the service place could never fix it.

Do you know: If you use the Grand Piano QCard in an S4+, is it virtually the same as the Quadrasynth Plus Piano?

Yes.

There is also a Jazz Piano QCard. I don't know which one is better.

They're just different. :idk:

The original QS piano is a sample set from a Bosendorfer Imperial grand. The Jazz QCard is a K Kawai piano...and the Classical Piano QCard is a Fazioli F308.

dB

Thank you for that info, Dave!

• 5 months later...

Archived