Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Roland Lucina: Anyone using one?

Nu2Keys

I was looking for an inexpensive keyboard for certain uses when I came upon the Roland Lucina and was really pleasantly surprised at the sounds, especially the clonewheel sound. Anyone using one? Thoughts?

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I own one.

As a keytar its fun.

As an organ, not so much fun, the sounds are derived from the Fantom, and the "rotary" fx is lacking.

The solo violin and some synth sounds are pretty good.

SpaceStation V3,

MoxF6,PX5S,Hammond-SK2,Artis7,Stage2-73,

KronosX-73,MS Pro145,Ventilator,OB DB1,Lester K

Toys: RIP died in the flood of 8/16 1930 Hammond AV, 1970s Leslie 145, 1974 Rhodes Stage

Yeah, I just got one. My friend actually called me up and offered it to me before he was going to list it on Kijiji - which is why I was wondering about it, and ended up buying it. Don't even attempt to compare any sounds on it or its editing capabilities...because frankly, they are not good at all. But it's a kind of a fun machine to pull out in one or two songs, and it's worth the price if you can find it cheap enough. I'd recommend it only for its monophonic leads...

I am still enjoying my Lucina. I am still using it mostly for my jam gigs and everyone loves it. I am surprised by the number of compliments I get on the organ sound (we know it's not the best or most accurate clonewheel on the market but THEY don't know that!). And otherwise the fact that I can walk on stage, plug into the PA and rock out with the guitar players front and center on the stage is a kick in the pants.

Oh BTW, you can find these things used for $200... just sayin'...

I was at Disneyworld in Orlando in February for a corporate function. They had dinner/evening of entertainment that had some Cirque-type acts interspersed throughout the evening but the main entertainment was a band that had kind of a Matrix vibe (all black attire, lots of leather).

The cool thing was they were all wireless and all moving around throughout the audience all night. Bass, guitarist, keyboard player (on Lucina), EWI player and drummer on Zendrum. It all had a futuristic vibe but they played everything from Watermelon Man to top 40 to Moon River.

The Lucina sounded fine in the context and frankly not a single person there was likely to care anyway. It was all about the environment, food, drink and vibe.

Kurzweil Forte, Yamaha Motif ES7, Muse Receptor 2 Pro Max, Neo Ventilator

Currently using a Lucina in 2 bands. The electric guitar sound is just fun enough to use in ZZTop tunes, organ is so so, saxes are good, even works well as. Midi controller...

Roland Juno DXi, Roland Lucina, Alesis Vortex, M-Audio controllers, and a RockBand controller for the fun of it!

I have one and it's a blast. I'm not certain what the OP's certain uses are but.. I got it solely to get out from behind the keyboards and out in the crowd wirelessly for a bunch of tunes in my rock dance band. I get a lot of compliments about it. The patches are quite adequate for certain applications. I even utilize the overdriven guitar patches to pad some acdc tunes. It's not a keyboard I would record with but bang for the buck keytar.. Can't really be beat. (got mine off of kijiji.. Brand new in box for 250).

Jay

www.soundcloud.com/high-diving-act

www.yournewneighbors.com

www.mclovinmusic.com

Nord Stage 3 Compact, Korg Krome EX, Novation Summit, Roland RD88 & Edge, Spectrasonic Keyscape

:)

How long until someone comes out with a dual manual keytar to compete with double-neck guitars?

Wasn't there one a while a go with an upside down manual for the left hand? It went under the instrument, mimicking a guitar fretting hand. (I've tried a quick search with my friend Google, but no luck finding a pic).

Cheers, Mike.

Archived