Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Thinking of purchasing a PX-5s and I had some questions

Jefsong

Hi everyone. I have been looking at adding the PX-5s to my rig and was wondering if a few functions were possible.

1. Is it possible to send a program change to an external module by selecting a stage setting patch? (This is very important for me)

2. I want to trigger a particular midi/zone fron an external keyboard. For example I have a Hammond SK2. I want to use the bottom manual to play a sound from the PX-5s while the actual PX-5s' keyboard is playing something different. I do this now with my Yamaha S90ES.

3. I see that the PX-5s has an instrument input. Does that input share any of the onboard effects? If so, does it have a way to route it's own effects? On my S90ES I have dedicated effects for the audio input. It would be nice if this worked similarly.

4. On the S90ES there is a brass patch called sForzando. It has a great cresendo swell. Is it possible to adjust a brass patch on the PX-5s to recreate this effect?

Thank you. I really appreciate any feedback on this.

Yamaha Montage 8, S90ES, Hammond Sk2, GSI Dmc-122, Fender Rhodes 73 Suitcase, Wurlitzer 200A, Hammond B3 + 122 Leslie

www.jeffreybryanmusic.com

Keyboardist for Survivor

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply
One of the most important and unique things about the casio px5s is the gentleman that just answered those questions. I am in no way affiliated with or endorsed by casio, just an owner. Trust me/us. You will not be disappointed.
Korg kronos, casio px5s, studiologic sl 88 studio, korg m50,korg triton, yamaha moxf6, hammond xk1, korg sp200

Yes I know how cool it is to have Mike Martin come along with this keyboard lol. Thank you Mike!

As far as the audio inputs go its a bummer I cannot use the internal effects. With my S90es I am able to plug my Wurlitzer 200a into and not need outboard effects. Now I have to come up with a work-around for this.

Yamaha Montage 8, S90ES, Hammond Sk2, GSI Dmc-122, Fender Rhodes 73 Suitcase, Wurlitzer 200A, Hammond B3 + 122 Leslie

Keyboardist for Survivor

It's still a trade off worth thinking about my friend.
Korg kronos, casio px5s, studiologic sl 88 studio, korg m50,korg triton, yamaha moxf6, hammond xk1, korg sp200

Thanks guys but it's not about me, it's a great product plus there is an amazing community on the forums and the Facebook group.

-Mike Martin

Casio

Mike Martin Photography Instagram Facebook

The Big Picture Photography Forum on Music Player Network

The opinions I post here are my own and do not represent the company I work for.

Thanks guys but it's not about me, it's a great product plus there is an amazing community on the forums and the Facebook group.

There IS an amazing community, and it IS a great product, but a hell of a lot of it is still about you.

Don't be so modest, accept the plaudits :laugh:

All together now: MIKE!!!! MIKE!!!! MIKE!!! :laugh::laugh:

SSM

Occasionally, do something nice for a total stranger. They'll wonder what the hell is going on!

PLUS all of the clinics that always happen [at LEAST] once a month! Those are really going to help me out today when I get my XW-P1.

Mike's clinics rock! What other manufacturer's rep does that to the degree that Mike does? I'm pretty sure the answer is "none." The most recent clinic (concerning the XW synths) can be found here and older ones, some for PX-5S and others for XW synths, can be found on YouTube. And here's something Mike can point upper, upper management to if they ever doubt the effectiveness of what he is doing: Because of Mike's tireless efforts I won't hesitate to try out and most likely buy some future Casio keyboard. (I'm hoping a really kick-ass synth is up next. Not that the XW synths aren't solid efforts - supposedly "unusable" aliasing, short sample loops and lack of resonant filters for the Hex Layer mode notwithstanding.)

http://oi40.tinypic.com/2aet8ia.jpg

Are the only two Master effects compressor and EQ? Can these two effects be changed depending what patch is being used? Or are these master global effects over every patch?

Keyboardist for Survivor

The PX-5S has the following effects.

1 DSP insert effect per zone

3 System effects (Reverb, Chorus and Delay) that each zone has independent send levels for. (HexLayer tones have sends per layer)

2 Master effects that are applied to the whole mix (EQ and Compression)

-Mike Martin

Casio

The opinions I post here are my own and do not represent the company I work for.

Is it possible to select which half of a split gets the damper pedal?

Are splits limited by the number of octaves you can shift the parts around?

Is it possible to have two patches on each side of a split?

Do you have to use the same effect on both halves of a split/dual?

(Sorry for the many questions...I keeping thinking more and more about one of these, just seeing what problems it could solve for me :)

You know, one thing I hate, is changing keyboards. I also miss sounds. At least the PX-5S seems to be able to do some real synthesis. I'm a 90s-style ROMpler guy.

Hammond: L111, M100, M3, BC, CV, Franken CV, A100, D152, C3, B3

Leslie: 710, 760, 51C, 147, 145, 122, 22H, 31H

Yamaha: CP4, DGX-620, DX7II-FD-E!, PF85, DX9

Roland: VR-09, RD-800

You have full control of 4 keyboard zones - lower note, upper note, which sliders, knobs, or pedals are enabled for that zone, transpose, and velocity response limits.

So you can set up velocity switches between entire zones as well as individual hex layers inside a patch. Transpose range is at least +/- 2 octaves, maybe more.

Effects can be assigned per zone except for global reverb.

Moe

---

Effects can be assigned per zone except for global reverb.

Clarification. There is one System Reverb. Each zone has it's own send levels. Each layer a HexLayer tone also has it's own send level for each layer.

-Mike Martin

Casio

Archived