Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

"It belongs in a museum!" -Indiana Jones

Adam C.

"It belongs in a museum!"

This was a quote made famous by Harrison Ford as the intrepid archaeologist and adventurer 'Indiana Jones' in the classic film Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade that is entirely applicable to this auction, in my opinion. :cool:

- Keith Emerson's Original Minimoog -

Now...can any of you folks lend me upwards of $8,000+ please? (Trust me...I'm good for it.) :D

NOTE: If this is already being discussed, or if anyone thinks that I'm out of line for posting a link to this auction, just let me know and I'll pull the link. I didn't notice anything about it in the rules, but I could have overlooked something.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

These were from the Works tour. There were actually 2 of them that were in these kind of drawers at either end of the Hammond C3. Emo would slide them out and use them as needed.

..Joe

Setup: Korg Kronos 61, Roland XV-88, Korg Triton-Rack, Motif-Rack, Korg N1r, Alesis QSR, Roland M-GS64 Yamaha KX-88, KX76, Roland Super-JX, E-Mu Longboard 61, Kawai K1II, Kawai K4.

If we all put in a few bucks we could timeshare the thing...

Now that is a hell of an idea! I've got $20 bucks right here that'll secure my 7-hour time allotment for every other October 12th! :D

(By the way...'pm' is better than 'am' for me, but whatever. I'm flexible.)

If we all put in a few bucks we could timeshare the thing...

Now that is a hell of an idea! I've got $20 bucks right here that'll secure my 7-hour time allotment for every other October 12th! :D

(By the way...'pm' is better than 'am' for me, but whatever. I'm flexible.)

LOL. For sure a museum piece. What's it doing on eBay anyway?

What's it doing on eBay anyway?

Good question! Here's what the seller said in his description:

Keith Emersons personal Moog Minimoog THE ORIGINAL spilt system

For Sale is likely the only original Moog synthesizer owned and used by Keith Emerson that will ever be for sale. Keith Emersons other Moog unit, his massive modular system, will certainly one day wind up in a museum and not be available to collectors.

This incredible and historic Minimoog has some very serious provenance. Keith Emerson owned it, recorded with it and toured with it using it on his most famous 70s and 80s tours. Further to that Keith had it heavily modified for his unique purposes making it truly a one of a kind relic of music history.

Robert Moog liked the idea so much he created a prototype of what was to be a factory split system. Photos of that unit are online however I have never known anyone to actually own one or see one..

It was technician Tony Wride, who first acquired Keiths original Moog Minimoog directly from Keith Emerson in 1992. As the story goes with a bit of help from Will Alexander who handled the transaction. The unit was later sold to a synthesizer collector in Texas via auction. That collector is whom I purchased it from.

A unique opportunity to own a piece of Rock history! This Minimoog was one of the earliest ones owned by Keith Emerson (26 June 1973 date on keyboard) and he had the keyboard and electronics separated so that it could be used in his stage setup. Basically the keyboard was set up to slide into place when required while the electronics section remained out of the way

Sound on Sound May 1995 Keith Emerson quote:

MINIMOOG (1970)

"I had my Minimoog split because it was the only way to make certain musical arrangements possible. The keyboard could be divorced from the more bulky electronics by several meters, so I could mount it in places the complete synth simply wouldn't go. On the other hand, the use of the ribbon controller was far less pragmatic -- it was pure showmanship.

THE "SPLIT" MINIMOOG.

The keyboard section is basically the front half of a standard Minimoog. The keyboard is linked to the electronics via a long cable and connector. Apparently there was another much much longer intermediate cable, to increase the separation distance if required, but I don't have this. The Minimoog also has some other modifications that were done to it for Keith but they don't seem to be connected and I have not been able to work out what they are for! On the keyboard 'bender' panel there are 2 red LEDs and a small toggle switch linked to a ribbon cable. Obviously this was for something that Keith needed on stage but I haven't been able to work out what. The Electronics section has the 'mains' supplied via a DIN style jack plug and there appears to be a balanced output socket added.

All the 'normal' Minimoog bits work as they should and I have just done a complete calibration on it. Note that this has the early 'richer' sounding Oscillators rather than the later clinical ones!

It is signed by Keith Emerson directly on the back panel and also noted in writing by Keith Emerson as being HIS ORIGINAL.

This unit is working but of course is being sold AS IS with no warrantee and NO RETURNS.

$100 gets it shipped to any USA location. ALL OTHERS TO PAY FOR PACKING FREIGHT INSURANCE AND DUTIES.

Available for local Los Angeles pickup.

Archived