Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

No regrets at all

Bucktunes

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Motion Sound KBR-3D... Great sounding stage amp / rotary speaker hybrid. But, few regrets upon giving it up - due to a design issue I simply couldn't live with: Lack of separate level controls for stage and FOH. Unlike most other keyboard cabinets, using the KBR-3D as a separate, powered stage speaker (via DI, or my mixer's monitor send) defeats the purpose of its design. Considering that it's a dual-purpose cabinet that includes a built-in mixer, the only way to control stage level independently would be the existence of separate level controls.

I contacted a tech who was willing to attempt a mod, but after talking to John Fisher (who kindly supplied a hand-drawn schematic), I decided it wasn't worth risking damage to the unit. The way that the KBR was designed, there was very little margin for error. Also, John couldn't relate to the importance of having separate control of stage volume. Our views on stage level management were at opposite ends of the spectrum. Ultimately we agreed to disagree, and my KBR-3D went back to Sweetwater - in exchange for a Hartke KM-200.

'Someday, we'll look back on these days and laugh; likely a maniacal laugh from our padded cells, but a laugh nonetheless' - Mr. Boffo.

We need a barfing cat emoticon!

I was considering buying an M Audio controller... what's so bad about them?
The feel. Every one I've tried had this "sticky" feel at the start of the travel that's just weird. On the one I had, I also really had to pound it to get to 128.

Granted, this was a few years ago, and reports of the newer models seem more mixed so one might suit you.

Yeah, it's an odd action. I've lost track of the number of times they've essentially rebranded the 88SX, I think it was the Sono 88 and at least one Keystation? I never played the others, did they make any improvements?

Never regretted dumping my DX-7. Of all the instruments I've owned, that's the one I never wanted to have back, even for a little while.

I also sold a Leslie 825 that I owned for a few months...

+1. I owned a DX7 for a couple years but could never warm up to it. It had a pretty cool pedal steel guitar patch, but other than that it just sounded thin to me.

And I had a Leslie 825 that I played a Fender Contempo through. Although it was cool to be moving air, it just sounded dead without a top rotor and I could never hear it anyway over the band.

I'll add a Nord Electro 2. I owned one for about 3 months and wanted to like it, I really did. It sounded okay, but the drawbuttons didn't cut it for me and it just felt flimsy to me.

Live: Yamaha S70XS (#1); Roland Jupiter-80; Mackie 1202VLZ4: IEMs or Traynor K4

Home: Hammond SK Pro 73; Moog Minimoog Voyager Electric Blue; Yamaha S70XS (#2); Wurlitzer 200A

Archived