Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

iPad Bluetooth PDF Page turners

Bobadohshe

I need to get one and there are a couple choices. Anybody swear by one versus the other?

Seems like most people have this:

The Airturn but it seems a little fiddly / delicate with those wires in back, and it doesn't seem to run on AC power. It's also $120 on Amazon.

Whereas this....

The PageFlip Automatic Page Turner is only $89 on Amazon w/ Prime.

Are there other options?

Kawai C-60 Grand Piano : Hammond A-100 : Hammond SK2 : Yamaha CP4 : Yamaha Montage 7 : Moog Sub 37

My latest album: Funky organ, huge horn section

https://bobbycressey.bandcamp.com/album/cali-native

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Both seem cool, but too expensive. Set your ipad to touch and not swipe. As soon as you hit the screen it will change. What if you were using a physical book. The amount of time it takes should not be mission critical. If it is, then memorize the page change and get to it when convenient. Now if you have the money to spend, then go for it. For me it is too much. The other thing about them is that they rely on batteries. I did not see any information about using a transformer and plugging it in. I would want to plug it in. I hate batteries, especially rechargeable ones. I have never had any luck with them. I like the airturn better with the Boss option. I would trust their pedals more than the stock pedals. I am talking about the switch mechanisms. As I said, unless you have the money and really want it, I would wait and let the price drop or do it manually.

I've read good things about the AirTurn but don't have experience. Have you checked out the iRigBlueBoard?

KLONK

Also, no experience, but you did ask if there were others.

Roland Fantom 06; Yamaha P-125; QSC K10; Cubase 13 Pro; Windows 10

The other thing about them is that they rely on batteries. I did not see any information about using a transformer and plugging it in. I would want to plug it in. I hate batteries, especially rechargeable ones.

The PageFlip Cicada comes with a usb cable and wall adaptor to charge it with. Not sure about the Firefly, but as it is a newer model than the Cicada, it could well be the same.

As Kelp says, it would be interesting to find out if the IK Multimedia Blueboard would work as a page turner. Could save a bit of cash.

SSM

Occasionally, do something nice for a total stranger. They'll wonder what the hell is going on!

I've read good things about the AirTurn but don't have experience. Have you checked out the iRigBlueBoard?

Looks interesting but I find the big pedals of the two that I linked to be attractive. I want turning pages w my feet to be as easy as possible. Looks like hitting the smaller switches might be a little more challenging.

Kawai C-60 Grand Piano : Hammond A-100 : Hammond SK2 : Yamaha CP4 : Yamaha Montage 7 : Moog Sub 37

Doing more research I'm seeing reviews that confirm my fear for the PageFlip Cicada - - people are saying it's not durable enough.

Can't somebody make a more beastly option? I might need to check out the iRigBlueBoard after all.

I bought the AirTurn several months ago and it works great. I didn't mind the extra dollars because it seemed to be the best option I could find at the time. I played at least three four-hour gigs and several 2-3 hour rehearsals before having to charge it again.

I've got the AirTurn and it has held up well, but I have been pretty good to it. Mostly using it for church pianist gigs. The biggest issue I have is keeping it still. It's so light it moves further and further away as I tap it. I've taken to setting an extra hymnal behind it as a kind of "holy doorstop". I also unplug the wires and keep it in a pencil box I got from Target between uses. Battery life is excellent.

One quirk - it's technically a Bluetooth keyboard peripheral so my iPad's keyboard won't pop up while it's connected, although it seems they figured out a workaround for that.

Live rig: Roland FA-08, Yamaha MOTIF ES 6, laptop for supplemental sounds.

Doing more research I'm seeing reviews that confirm my fear for the PageFlip Cicada - - people are saying it's not durable enough.

Can't somebody make a more beastly option? I might need to check out the iRigBlueBoard after all.

It's hard to tell from the pics, and because it's so new there don't seem to be many independent reviews about, but the Firefly LOOKS as if it might be a bit more solid.

SSM

Occasionally, do something nice for a total stranger. They'll wonder what the hell is going on!

I was just looking at the youtube clips for the Airturn. Some guy has figured out a way to improve the pedal action. You just buy two Boss FS 5U pedals and connect them up!

Only adds £50 (or $50) to an already expensive product!

I also hate the idea of the rechargeable battery. I think I'll wait for some user feedback on the Firefly, and see if it's any sturdier than the Cicada. I'm not sure that it will be though, on the Firefly promo video, you can see the pedal moving around when the guy steps on it.

Ho hum, back to the drawing board.

SSM

You just buy two Boss FS 5U pedals and connect them up!

It's funny but I am really surprised there doesn't seem to be a product intended for heavy gig use. Church gigs and chamber music are one thing; but I'm talking about using this for 100 or so top 40 gigs a year and stepping on it repeatedly from a standing position.

I feel like someone should make a heavy duty version and they'd make bank.

Archived