Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

"New" K2600; CC Pedals

Tom Williams

I've just snagged a Kurzweil K2600S, and I'm loving it -- a blast for both playing and programming. I was a little disappointed to find that it doesn't have the orchestral ROM, which I thought was standard on 'em.

The CV pedal input seems to respond to neither Ensoniq nor M-Audio pedals, although the Kurzweil site seems to imply that they should. Gotta get out the ohmmeter, I guess. In addition to Kurzweil brand, are there any other (cheap) CV pedals that y'all have been able to use with this board?

-Tom Williams

{First Name} {at} AirNetworking {dot} com

PC4-7, PX-5S, AX-Edge, PC361

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Kurzweil CC-1 pedal uses a 10K linear pot. Unless they have changed, they are made for Kurzweil by Fatar. Some of the unbranded pedals that look like them are 25K - and I found it necessary to change the pots to 10K to get good response with my PC2's, PC3's, and (until I sold them) the K2661 and K2000VP.

I know some other pedals have been used by people, usually had to change the wiring so it matched how Kurzweil connects the pot.

If you add the Orchestral ROM, you will also have to load in the proper sound files for it - both the main OS files and sound files are available on their web site.

Howard Grand|Hamm SK1-73|Kurz PC2|PC2X|PC3|PC3X|PC361; QSC K10's

HP DAW|Epi Les Paul & LP 5-str bass|iPad mini2

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Jim

Update: after lots of digging, I discovered that the default mapping of CV pedals is to a function other than volume. I hadn't expected that (Duh). Ensoniq pedals -- Fatar built, if I recall -- work fine.

-Tom Williams

If you add the Orchestral ROM, you will also have to load in the proper sound files for it - both the main OS files and sound files are available on their web site.

Orchestral ROM for K2000/K2500/K2600 - $100 on eBay

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Kurzweil-K2000-K2500-K2600-Orchestral-ROM-1-option-/291131136367?pt=Keyboards_MIDI&hash=item43c8c4996f

If you have the polyphony expansion board, you'll need to purchase TWO.

Tom

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

I just remembered - not sure, but it seems like the 2500 series (unless it was already added for an expansion ROM) had to also have the board added that the ROMs are inserted into. But I never had a 2500 series, and am not sure.

Howard Grand|Hamm SK1-73|Kurz PC2|PC2X|PC3|PC3X|PC361; QSC K10's

HP DAW|Epi Les Paul & LP 5-str bass|iPad mini2

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Jim

The K2600 came with the daughter board, the Orchestral, and Contemporary ROMs as standard in the US, optional everywhere else. They was an option in the K2500.

Problem is, sellers take them out and sell them separately for a lot more than they'll add on to the value of the instrument.

..Joe

Setup: Korg Kronos 61, Roland XV-88, Korg Triton-Rack, Motif-Rack, Korg N1r, Alesis QSR, Roland M-GS64 Yamaha KX-88, KX76, Roland Super-JX, E-Mu Longboard 61, Kawai K1II, Kawai K4.

Orchestral ROM for K2000/K2500/K2600 - $100 on eBay

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Kurzweil-K2000-K2500-K2600-Orchestral-ROM-1-option-/291131136367?pt=Keyboards_MIDI&hash=item43c8c4996f

If you have the polyphony expansion board, you'll need to purchase TWO.

Tom

Quit gawking at my latest purchase!

LOL, funny you should put that one.

I opened it up this morning: it lacks the daughter board. :-( I guess I will have to get by for now with just a synthesizer that has a fantastic sound architcture, great action, wonderful sounds, and an excellent hammond organ model. I'll try to be brave.

-Tom Williams

The K2600 came with the daughter board, the Orchestral, and Contemporary ROMs as standard in the US, optional everywhere else. They was an option in the K2500.

I bought two K2600XS's, one new the other used. Neither of them came with the daughterboard or extra ROM's. Or extra PRAM for that matter...

Stephen

From the Kurzweil site (bottom of page):

"Sound ROM

The K2600 has four expansion slots for up to 44MB of on-board sample ROM. Expansion board selections include the Orchestral and Contemporary ROM options (included in US models) from the legendary K2000 and K2500 series, as well as the Stereo Dynamic Piano, Vintage Electric Pianos ** and General MIDI** ROM options."

..Joe

Setup: Korg Kronos 61, Roland XV-88, Korg Triton-Rack, Motif-Rack, Korg N1r, Alesis QSR, Roland M-GS64 Yamaha KX-88, KX76, Roland Super-JX, E-Mu Longboard 61, Kawai K1II, Kawai K4.

Archived