Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Which key (or keys)?

icarusi

If you're not playing from manuscript, pitching to suit a singer or playing something you already play and have a preferred key (or keys), say busking a tune you haven't played, but know, which key would you choose to start?

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Depends on the tune and what horns if any are in the band.

For some reason my ears find Ab to be pleasant. LOL!

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

C D E G A F Bb (maj) (and corresponding 6M), my fingers just find the keys by themselves. Anything else I gotta apply a little thought.

~ vonnor

Gear:

Hardware: Nord Stage3, Korg Kronos 2, Novation Summit

Software: Cantabile 3, Halion Sonic 3 and assorted VST plug-ins.

I would probably be able to conjure up an aural image in my head of what key I think the song is in and try to find that, I don't have perfect pitch per se but I get it right a good number of times.

Rich Forman

Yamaha MOXF8, Korg Kronos 2-61, Roland Fantom X7, Ferrofish B4000+ organ module, Roland VR-09, EV ZLX12P, K&M Spider Pro stand,

Yamaha S80, Korg Trinity Plus

As a horn player, ironically, I've gotten used to playing in "guitar keys" (E, A, B, etc.).

If you throw a natural flat key at me, I actually have to think for a bit. So please don't transpose into a "horn key" on my account. If you've been playing horn long enough, there's no such thing.

Soul, R&B, Pop from Los Angeles

http://philipclark.com

Cannonball Gerald Albright Signature Alto, Yamaha YC73, Fender Rhodes, Roland Juno-106, Yamaha MX61, Roland VR-09, MicroKorg XL, Maschine Mikro, Yamaha Reface CP, Roland MKS-50

I hear the beginning in my head and find the pitch from there. No sense fighting what's already there.

Muzikteechur is Lonnie, in Kittery, Maine.

HS music teacher: Concert Band, Marching Band, Jazz Band, Chorus, Music Theory, AP Music Theory, History of Rock, Musical Theatre, Piano, Guitar, Drama.

Archived