Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Speaking of Prog, Soft Machine in 1974 with Allan Holdsworth

NewImprov

Just came across this on the YouT:

[video:youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gdYB8FU2p4Y

Lots of classic keyboards, 2(!) Rhodes onstage, a VCS3, plus Ratledge's signature fuzzed-out organ, and a young Allan Holdsworth doing his best Mahavishnu impersonation. Love this stuff!

Turn up the speaker

Hop, flop, squawk

It's a keeper

-Captain Beefheart, Ice Cream for Crow

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm a big Holdsworth fan...and this performance has never grabbed me. It's more of a mild curiosity as to how he sounded in his early career. Compare that to the UK album of a few years later and what Bill Bruford called, "94 seconds of liquid passion married to a blinding technical facility that will go down in the annals of rock guitar history".

Allan's solos in this particular performance leave a bit to be desired, but on the album ("Bundles") he does much better. He lasted just that one album, though; on the following one, "Softs", he was replaced by John Etheridge. To me, "Bundles" is a better album, although "Softs" was the soundtrack for my stint in London in '78... memories...

Allan's solos in this particular performance leave a bit to be desired, but on the album ("Bundles") he does much better. He lasted just that one album, though; on the following one, "Softs", he was replaced by John Etheridge. To me, "Bundles" is a better album, although "Softs" was the soundtrack for my stint in London in '78... memories...

Seeing this was interesting for me, because I first heard Holdsworth with UK, and he seemed to be springing fully formed from nowhere, with really innovative tone, phrasing and approach to soloing. So it's interesting to see him at a developmental stage, without the really liquid and wind-like phrasing he developed later. Until this show I believe Bundles was the first thing I'd heard of his, unless his stint with Gong was earlier.

But hey, this is a keyboard forum, what are we doing talking about the gu*tarist! How 'bout them dueling rhodes! I wish Ratledge took a larger role in this show, I kept waiting to hear more from the VCS3, and that Alice Coltrane meets muted trumpet sound he gets on the Lowery is something I've always thought really cool. It's a shame that Ratledge virtually disappeared after leaving the Softs, he was a very inspiring player.

Turn up the speaker

Hop, flop, squawk

It's a keeper

-Captain Beefheart, Ice Cream for Crow

that Alice Coltrane meets muted trumpet sound he gets on the Lowery is something I've always thought really cool.

:D Ha ha! Great description.

It's a shame that Ratledge virtually disappeared after leaving the Softs, he was a very inspiring player.

Absolutely.

Archived