Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Great moments with Oscar Peterson

Jazz+

Oscar Peterson's marvelous solo on "Wave" starts at 3:45. It starts calmly and then proceeds to build with excitement. The string arrangements by Claus Ogerman contribute greatly and Oscar weaves around them brilliantly. (I have the transcription):

[video:youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gvE2BsE5z1o

Harry Likas was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book." Find 700 of Harry’s piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and jazz piano tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't get the relevance of "bad product placement".

Harry Likas was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book." Find 700 of Harry’s piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and jazz piano tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas

I don't get the relevance of the tired businessman comments about "bad product placement". I don't know where that is coming from and I really don't care what it means. Seems odd to me that some folks do not seem to notice the magic that Oscar creates from 3:45 till the end of the track.

J+, as far as I'm concerned, they weren't directed at you nor Oscar. I don't think I could ever direct a negative thought towards Oscar. I am referring moreso to the fact that there are shameless plugs within this thread, which is obviously not in the shameless plugs sub-forum.

Sorry I'm so passive agressive.

I don't get the relevance of the tired businessman comments about "bad product placement". I don't know where that is coming from and I really don't care what it means. Seems odd to me that some folks do not seem to notice the magic that Oscar creates from 3:45 till the end of the track.

J+, as far as I'm concerned, they weren't directed at you nor Oscar. I don't think I could ever direct a negative thought towards Oscar. I am referring moreso to the fact that there are shameless plugs within this thread, which is obviously not in the shameless plugs sub-forum.

Sorry I'm so passive agressive.

Love the cut and love DF but come on, there's a better place (and time,) to offer up a plug.

AvantGrand N2 | ES520 | Gallien-Krueger MK & MP | https://soundcloud.com/pete36251

It's okay with me for Dave to post his link here about Oscar Peterson. I think his free lessons are of major benefit to the community and therefore always a welcome contribution.

It's okay with me for Dave to post his link here about Oscar Peterson. I think his free lessons are of major benefit to the community and therefore always a welcome contribution. Please don't be fussy and derail the thread further..
Excuse me, but this thread is just OK and will soon end up like all of them - Page 2 and beyond. Actually, your comments here will derail it, more than my sidebar. DF jumping in so quickly was what prompted me to respond. Technically, he derailed this wonderful thread. We all know where those posts should go - SHAMELESS PLUGS HERE

By the way, were you offering to share the transcription you say you have or were you gloating that you can transcribe Oscar? Hey, we all love free and helpful tools to improve on and appreciate masters sharing their knowledge like DF.

AvantGrand N2 | ES520 | Gallien-Krueger MK & MP | https://soundcloud.com/pete36251

To those interested, there is a transcription of the "Wave" solo available on the web at no charge.

Marino... You said OSCAR is not playing the changes. I would say given the gigantic power of Claus and any arranger in that position to arrange.. that Claus likely had a major and dominant influence on those harmonies being used.

That aside. Wave is a rough tune for me. I have not really sat down and tried to play it at home, but the changes move quickly at certain parts.

Another point, I have always felt it was a sensitive area of the tune, where you vamp in Dm ( if you insist D dorian ) and the pick up to the melody like a wave, is suddenly D major. How that is carried out on this recording is seamlessly done by both Masters.

I put Claus at the top of arrangers. His reharm of "Change Partners", while deceptively simple ( with Jobim and Sinatra ) is for me a major accomplishment, to AVOID big fat chords, and change the Root motion so much that seventh chords sound fresh.

You don't have ideas, ideas have you

We see the world, not as it is, but as we are. "One mans food is another mans poison". I defend your right to speak hate. Tolerance to a point, not agreement

Marino... You said OSCAR is not playing the changes.

Well, it's self-evident to the ear. :) Obviously, the arrangement was conceived like that.

I've been playing that song for more than 30 years, so I would have loved to hear Oscar blowing over the "Wave" changes, as he has done in many other occasions, like this (piano solo at 3:30):

[video:youtube]

And Ogerman is obviously a genius. "Cityscape", "Symbiosis".... and *that* Bill Evans Rhodes solo...

Signor Marino

Would you lean as I lean: it is more likely Mr Ogerman who had suggested the harmony for the solo, rather than Oscar? Two equally great artists, but the arranger is best given free reign!

You don't have ideas, ideas have you

We see the world, not as it is, but as we are. "One mans food is another mans poison". I defend your right to speak hate. Tolerance to a point, not agreement

I am sooo glad they did the Coda the way they did it and did not rehash the head changes. For me it's one of Oscar's greatest moments.

Archived