Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Yamaha CP4 and classical music?

Kevin Keys777

The CP4 sounds great playing jazz.

Does anyone have any experience performing classical music on the Yamaha Cp4?

Would you recommend it to a pianist who performs jazz and classical?

Yamaha CP4 (Gigs) Kawai MP7 (home), Yamaha CP33(gigs), Yamaha P80(retired), 3 QSC K10's, Zed 10FX mixer, Sennheiser HD598, Bachendorff 45" acoustic

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As a classically-trained pianist, I'd say the CP4 does better than many digitals as a performing tool for the genre. Which is to say... not brilliantly.

However, it all depends what the alternatives are, and your level of playing. If you don't exactly aspire to conservatoire level, or the alternative is a really crap upright, then it may be a viable choice. But no serious pianist is going to prefer it over, say, one of the same company's own acoustic grands.

Yamaha: P515, CP88, Genos 1, HX1

Thanks Aidan.

I'm a somewhat serious player (degree in music)

I'd be using the digital for classical music at wedding ceremonies where there would be no acoustic instrument available.

I would be performing typical rep you would hear at a wedding, Canon in D, Chopin nocturnes, etc.

I would also be practicing on it late at night.

Would you recommend it over say, the Kawai Mp6 or 7, for classical music?

Is there a setting you found that works best for classical?

I'm looking for a mellow classical sound.

Yamaha CP4 (Gigs) Kawai MP7 (home), Yamaha CP33(gigs), Yamaha P80(retired), 3 QSC K10's, Zed 10FX mixer, Sennheiser HD598, Bachendorff 45" acoustic

I have a lot of experience in this area. By the way, you might change the title of this thread to "CP4 for wedding ceremonies " ...

Digital pianos are often necessary for wedding ceremony gigs but only when when there is no piano available. When necessary, any digital piano model will suffice because it is simply background music that is required at a wedding ceremony. Your sound system is far far more important and more difficult to choose. You can have the best $6,000 digital piano in the world but if you put it through a mediocre sound system it will sound poor. Then you can have a $99 dollar keyboard and its piano will sound superior if played through a high quality sound system. The digital piano provides a snapshot (recording) of the piano sound, but it's the sound system that takes that snapshot and produces the sound waves that go out to peoples ears.

Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book." Find 850 of Harry's solo piano arrangements of standards and jazz tutorials at https://www.patreon.com/HarryLikas 

I totally agree with you Jazz.

I got the best sound system I could afford (thanks to the advice of this forum)

I'm hoping the CP4 might be a step up from my Cp33 for classical music.

I love the Cp33 ,for jazz especially, but there is not much I can do to change the sound for classical.

I'm looking into the MP7 because the Kawai MP series seems to have a good reputation with classical players.

I don't know about the best out there, but they were probably one of the better choices with my limited budget, and size/weight considerations.

I would have liked the QSC's with the wood cabinets but they were just not practical money wise.

I already worry about someone,or something ,stealing or damaging the $600 a piece speakers. I would be even more worried about $900-$1000 a piece wood speakers.

I guess there is always something better...and more expensive.

So far they have worked very well. I have used them a lot.

I have used them at over a 100 gigs so far.

They are relatively light-weight and I can fit three in my car.

They are very durable and I am happy with the sound.

I don't think you can get the MP7. Maybe they are available in Europe. I don't know the US release date.

The MP10 is price reduced since the release of the MP11.....If you don't need to carry it around much. It is a load. With a roadcase it is 100+ pounds.

Get some first hand opinions on the MP7 action. The lower model MPs used to be a little sluggish. I have the MP5 and there are things I can do on a piano I simply can NOT play on the MP5.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

CP4 will sound much better than the CP33. It's also more fun/musical to play.

For wedding ceremonies, I'd run it in stereo.

Kawai C-60 Grand Piano : Hammond A-100 : Hammond SK2 : Yamaha CP4 : Yamaha Montage 7 : Moog Sub 37

My latest album: Funky organ, huge horn section

https://bobbycressey.bandcamp.com/album/cali-native

In that case, the CP4 sounds viable, and has the dual advantages over other competitors of weight (believe me, there is a big difference in carrying experience between 17 and 20kg) and also that it sounds good in mono.

For a mellow classical feel, try the CF samples.

So , Kevin, in your opinion, are the qsc k 10's the best sound system out there?

No they are not. The go to player here at KC, for higher end sound systems, is Dave Ferris. He is hip to some seriously superior sound systems , whose names escape me.. out of my price range!

But there is also the keyboards that have speakers inside the body of the keyboard itself. Having the sound that close to you, is a nice feature, that some cannot live without... such as SK, another superior player here at KC.

You don't have ideas, ideas have you

We see the world, not as it is, but as we are. "One mans food is another mans poison". I defend your right to speak hate. Tolerance to a point, not agreement

Doctonewheel, Bobadohshe, Aiden, Carl C,

There are 15 different variations of each piano on the Cp4 (15 different Cfx, 15 different cf3, 15 different S6)

How much difference is there between these variations?

I'm interested in knowing if there is a setting that is similar/comparable to Kawai's "concert grand-mellow" that is found on the new Mp7.

Also, Does anyone know where I can find a sound/video clip of the Cp4 performing a classical piece? It doesn't have be something major. Maybe something by Chopin, a movement from a Mozart or Beethoven sonata or Bach Invention...anything will help.

Thank you all for your comments and help.

The Mp7 is almost available in the states.

Kraft music has it on their website and they are taking preorders.

The stock S6 pianos on the S90XS blows chow. I have tweaked that aren't so bad but darker DP tones my older Kawai kill those S6 pianos.

I hope the S6 stuff on the CP4 is way better.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

The S6 is very much improved on the CP4, even over the CP5's version and factors so over the SX90XS. It's still a small, intimate sound but without the honky phaseyness problems of before. I also think the CF sample is much improved over the CP5. There was a real problem with gutsiness in the bottom end of the 5 which is solved with the 4/40 sample.

Aidan, do you think there's any substantive difference between equivalent patches on the 4 and 40? For example, the CP50 apparently had three AP layers, the CP5 four, and the CP1 five. Do you notice any increased coarseness in the way the 40 plays, by comparison? (I assume that the 40's Rhodes sample model [73?] is identical to the one in the 4).

There are 15 different variations of each piano on the Cp4 (15 different Cfx, 15 different cf3, 15 different S6)

How much difference is there between these variations?

I notice quite a difference between the variations, especially between the mono and stereo versions. I always run mono due to being in a band setting and playing through a trash can (I mean a Roland KC-350).

The go to player here at KC, for higher end sound systems, is Dave Ferris.

AFAIK it's a pair of RCF TT08a. I covet them. A pair would set me back £2500 - £3000 here in the UK.

Ah but I'm no longer at the top of the totem pole. That designation would go to Chuck/cphollis with his Acoustic Fulcrum FA12ACs. :cool:

https://forums.musicplayer.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/2575110/When_GAS_Attacks_FA12ac_Quick_#Post2575110

https://soundcloud.com/dave-ferris

https://www.youtube.com/@daveferris2709

2005 NY Steinway D

Yamaha AvantGrand N3X, CP88, P515

I am using it now at home to practice Chopin preludes. I find the CFX- setting works best for me. I think for weddings it will be fine.

Doc...one thing I've noticed over time with the CFX is that, although it's very bright tonally, it loses a lot of power and presence in the upper registers. I find it tends to get drowned out if there is a busy left hand going on.

When I switch to the Cf3 sample it actually seems to cut through better in the top end. The S6 sample I hardly use at all so can't really comment on that.

Be interested to hear your views, and other CP4 users. I think Yamaha dropped the ball with this sample...it's so nearly the one I want to use the most but it just falls short in this regard.

I agree about the upper tones on the CFX preset. The first CFX preset has an annoying ringing tone around middle C, which really comes out when you hold down the sustain pedal (very noticeable when playing the first Chopin prelude in C). I like the sound of the CP4, but I am playing around tweaking the presets to try to improve some of the out of the box presets.

Archived