Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Gone Daddy Gone (Violent Femmes) - Xylophone Solo Help?

NoahZark

My band is adding this song, and I get the pleasure of covering the xylophone part. Unfortunately, I'm struggling to learn the solo. Breaking the solo down into its distinct component parts has helped me, but I'm still unable to pick up some pieces (in part, I think, because the tonality of the xylophone just hits my ears weird but also because I'm pretty terrible at transcribing solos.)

I'm curious if anyone here has played this song before and, if so, whether you might have any wisdom to share on the xylophone solo? And if anyone has an actual transcription, I'd be eternally grateful!

For those who don't know it, here's the song:

[video:youtube]

The solo starts at 1:06.

Thanks for any help anyone can provide!

Noah

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply
it sounds like someone who doesn't know how to play xylophone just banging on it! make something up yourself!

Live: Korg Kronos 2 88, Nord Electro 5d Nord Lead A1

Toys: Roland FA08, Novation Ultranova, Moog LP, Roland SP-404SX, Roland JX10,Emu MK6

www.bksband.com

www.echoesrocks.com

Never played it before, but very familiar. Just pulled up a xylophone patch and didn't have too much trouble playing along after a couple tries. What part specifically is giving you trouble? Starts with the ascending thing that's basically D scale ending on F. Then by my ear, E and Bb, A and Eb, then the chromatic up/down Eb down to C and up, repeat. Next part is just a D scale again (6 notes), but add the note below each so D and C# together! etched up the scale), then G, F, D 4x, Then the last little un's pretty easy to pick, starting D up to the octave higher, staying on D at the bottom, walking down chromatically.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

I don't have any notation software. I played it on my Kronos into the sequencer, quantized it, and exported as a SMF. If anybody can take that and generate notation, here it is:

Clonk or Right=Click>Save As

Not perfect, but close enough that you ought to be able to get it from there.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

Thanks, Dan. It was the third part of the solo giving me the most trouble, because I was having trouble picking out the notes played underneath the scale tones. I looked at the SMF you attached, which is very helpful. Much appreciated!

Archived