Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Ravenscroft: new VILabs piano

SK

Hi Guys, newbie here with a question. I bought the Ravenscroft 275 and the other piano collection by VI Labs. Running this through a Kawai MP11 and a new Macbook Pro and a pair of monitors. Sounds great except for one or two notes where I get a bopping sound like the note is cut short. With the finger pressed down and the sustain pedal held down, it still does not sustain unless I really press the note hard or a couple times. I contacted VILabs and they were really quick in responding - they asked me to do a midi file and send it to them because they couldn't say what might be causing it. Before I go back to them I thought I would run it by you guys first.

The problem seems to happen on the G and the C an octave above middle C (and one or two others but that is where I notice it mainly). All the other notes play and sustain normally and well otherwise. Trying to play for example, Chopin's Nocturne in Eb, the second note in the right hand just 'bops' or cuts short with no sustain unless I really bang it a few times.

The same thing happens with the other VILabs pianos but it does not happen with the NI pianos I also have like the Grandeur, Maverick, etc. Those play the same notes without a problem. It therefore seems like I need a minor tweak to the software or hardware but for the life of me I can't figure out where.

Any ideas what might be causing this or how to rectify it. The piano sounds really great otherwise.

• Replies 375
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't have another controller but I'm not sure that will help. The NI and other programs play fine. It's just some of the shortened notes on the VILabs so it makes me think the issue lies elsewhere but I'm no expert.

What am I supposed to look for in the midi monitor? Pardon my ignorance of all things midi.

Have you tried an Uninstall/Re-install?

Since your NI pianos play fine, and nobody else I know of has the same issue with the ViLabs products, perhaps something failed to install properly (like the UVI Player maybe), or perhaps you have a corrupted something the ViLabs uses and NI doesn't.

Certainly check to be sure you have the latest version of the player too.

http://www.uvi.net/en/software/uvi-workstation.html

Transpose the keyboard one octave down. If the issue is the same but one octave up the keybed is the issue. If the issue is the same when the same pitch notes are played then it is the software. Uninstall and reinstall and see if that fixes it.

A misguided plumber attempting to entertain | MainStage 3 | Axiom 61 2nd Gen | Pianoteq | B5 | XK3c | EV ZLX 12P

• 2 weeks later...
I thought I would update you guys on the query I had - I contacted VILabs and the guys there were great. Not only were they very responsive but they created a software fix for the problem, sent the download and everything works fine. I need a similar fix for the True Keys pianos too since they have the same problem, but hopefully that will be provided shortly.

• 3 months later...

Yeah his classical chops are ridiculous ! Puts me to shame. :blush:

We both were studying with Terry Trotter and Charlie Shoemake in the early '80s, that's where we met.

He used to have the Ravel Toccata from 'Le Tombeau de Couperin at tempo. :o I don't know if he keeps on it. He played it at the end of his lesson with Terry with me in the next room waiting for my lesson to begin. I remember wanting to quit after I heard him play that. :facepalm:

He's plays stride unbelievably too. He took some lessons with Paul Smith and later Leonid Hambro. In fact on his and Terry's recommendation, I was able to take a few lessons with Maestro Hambro.

https://soundcloud.com/dave-ferris

https://www.youtube.com/@daveferris2709

2005 NY Steinway D

Yamaha AvantGrand N3X, CP88, P515

I did a whole lot of re-tracking this weekend of tracks from three synth albums that I had put aside for awhile until finally giving up on my partner participating and deciding to just go ahead and finish them all myself.

What is really interesting is that Ravenscroft is almost universally the winner when it comes to blending with analog synths and cutting through. Most of these songs have several Minimoog Voyager parts, a few Prophet tracks, and VI's from Arturia, FM8, PPG Wave, and a few others. It takes a special piano to cut through that!

Some Pianoteq models work satisfactorily in this context, and a few other VI Labs pianos do as well, and Galaxy can suffice, but Ravenscroft rises above all of them to provide the most even timbral balance and full dynamic range for almost any articulation, without ever getting blurred or muddied in the lows or mids.

I'm not using it in my jazz work; for that I am sticking with Pianoteq's latest Steinway model and sometimes VI Labs Italian (Fazioli). But I'm finding for more contemplative stuff, and thick textures with lots of synths, that Ravenscroft seems like it takes the best qualities of almost every piano made and out comes something new that is recognizable and yet unique. Truly a miracle piano!

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

• 8 months later...
Last night was the first time I used Ravenscroft live in a band setting. I was pleasantly surprised that I preferred it to my standard go to, Pianoteq. I had somehow thought that the simpler Pianoteq might "Cut through" better. But the extra tonality and harmonics of the Ravenscroft won out. When I switched to Pianoteq, I found myself missing the warmth of Ravenscroft.

Yamaha S90XS, Studiologic VMk-161 Organ

Small/powerful (i7, 32GB, M.2 SSD) PC controlled by 10" Touch Screen

Cantabile, Ravenscroft 275, Keyscape, OPX-II, Omnisphere 2, VB3, Chris Hein Horns, etc.

how does it compare to a full blown new Macbook pro?

My systems processor's is 4.2 Ghz w/4.8 Ghz turbo boost and cost $1,850 w/ monitor. It is also overclockable to to 5.0 GHz if necessary (water cooled).

The Mac Book pro with the fastest processor is also a Core i7 but with 2.9 GHz and turbo to 3.8 GHz, and with a cost of $3,000 with the same 512GB SSD.

The Mac Book Pro processor benchmarks at 10,000 while the 4.2 GHz desktop processor I have chosen benchmarks at 12,300.

The Mac Book pro is limited to 16GB of ram at 2133 Mhz, my system has 32GB at 3000 Mhz.

The Mac Book pro has 4 thunderbolt ports (better speed), my system has 4 USB2 ports and 5 USB3 ports (better quantity).

The Mac Book pro will likely have better graphics as my system just uses the on board Intel graphics. However, there is NO need for any graphics upgrade beyond the on board graphics, so this is just a waste of money.

The Mac Book pro has a 15" monitor and keyboard built in, better to work with in a non performing / working environment. My system has a small touch 10" touch screen monitor that can be mounted anywhere and is visually not as obtrusive. The small lunch box PC sits on the ground. The touch screen is easier to operate in a live setting than a keyboard (somewhat debatable). I have a wireless blue tooth Logitech keyboard when I need to type.

The Mac Book Pro will likely have better re-sale value when you are done with it. However, I will likely be able to re-purpose my hardware when I want to upgrade.

From my perspective the Mac Book Pro is very good, but has me spending nearly 2x as much for a computer that isn't as powerful, is not as upgrade-able, and not configured in a manner that is appropriate for live performance.. But can be configured appropriately with an $800 ipad for remote control of the laptop.

how hackingtosh friendly is it?

I have no idea....? It is just a standard Win10 computer, so I would assume as hackingtosh friendly as any PC. Right?

Yamaha S90XS, Studiologic VMk-161 Organ

Small/powerful (i7, 32GB, M.2 SSD) PC controlled by 10" Touch Screen

Cantabile, Ravenscroft 275, Keyscape, OPX-II, Omnisphere 2, VB3, Chris Hein Horns, etc.

Archived