Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

The Big Photography Thread

Wow. Thanks Mike. I signed up for the online Photoshop/Lightroom cloud. I'll try that. It has been 8 years or more since I used Photoshop. It seems much more complicated than it used to be. I'd like to have a version without layers. Managing layers is my biggest problem.

Lightroom is like Photoshop without layers.

...only more intuitive. :D

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

http://kenleephotography.files.wordpress.com/2014/07/3206-2014-07-11-2156-227sf8iso200-milktrucklimousine-kenlee_carforest-1000px.jpg

International Car Forest of the Last Church, near Goldfield, Nevada. "Light painted" long exposure night sky photo.

I bet that stretch Limo at least could tell some stories Ken :).

Brett

I really would think so, Brett!!!! Who knows, maybe that ice cream truck or milk truck or whatever that is too.

Okay, here's another photo from my summer trips.

http://kenleephotography.files.wordpress.com/2014/08/3600-kenlee_bristleconepine-2014-07-15-0054-128sf71iso640-1000px-bestschulman.jpg

I spent the weekend in Austin for a conference on Saturday, and stayed at the Radisson right on the river lake. I didn't bring my DSLR because I brought too much stuff as it was and I didn't think I'd have any chances to take photos. Then I saw the view from our room and so grabbed this with my iPad.

14766847130_b7c1724e01_c.jpgAustin at night by Joe Stone Zone, on Flickr

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Just got back from vacation. Lots of pictures but not many of them online yet. Challenged all week by sand and sea spray on lenses, even stuff on my sensor. Here are a couple photos of the pier at Holden beach at night. With the clouds at the beginning of the week I missed the Super Moon low on the horizon. :(

http://ppcdn.500px.org/79745619/ae5e39c0c20b0ee817e300960d0227d26ba11459/4.jpg

Holden Beach Pier in the Moonlight by Mike Martin on 500px

http://ppcdn.500px.org/80135851/d96e7b3b42ba8d5582ba64a149c8f74bd7756398/4.jpg

Holden Beach Pier by Mike Martin on 500px

-Mike Martin

Casio

Mike Martin Photography Instagram Facebook

The Big Picture Photography Forum on Music Player Network

The opinions I post here are my own and do not represent the company I work for.

LOL, I dropped my iPhone.....twice. Both times it landed face down on a tile floor. The first time cracked the screen but it still worked. The second time...well it didn't work after that. There really wasn't much alcohol involved.....In the end it was a blessing, totally disconnected from work, email, forums. :) Got it fixed yesterday.

-Mike Martin

Casio

The opinions I post here are my own and do not represent the company I work for.

Just got back from vacation. Lots of pictures but not many of them online yet. Challenged all week by sand and sea spray on lenses, even stuff on my sensor. Here are a couple photos of the pier at Holden beach at night. With the clouds at the beginning of the week I missed the Super Moon low on the horizon. :(

http://ppcdn.500px.org/79745619/ae5e39c0c20b0ee817e300960d0227d26ba11459/4.jpg

Holden Beach Pier in the Moonlight by Mike Martin on 500px

The hope of creating pictures like this some day is why I spent the money on a 5D mark iii and an F1.2 lens instead of putting that money towards yet another synth. I love interesting night shots.

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

The hope of creating pictures like this some day is why I spent the money on a 5D mark iii and an F1.2 lens instead of putting that money towards yet another synth. I love interesting night shots.

Thanks Rabit. I'd like to have a 5D MKIII too. This was taken with a lowly Canon T2i. This particular photo I used my Tamron 70-300mm lens at around 110mm. The hope was the moon would come up just over the pier and I can zoom in all the way and get a giant moon with the pier in the foreground. With the cloud cover that didn't happen but this turned out pretty cool.

-Mike Martin

Casio

Very nice pictures, Mike! Really like that you caught the glimmer coming from the light posts. I was always just terrible with night pictures. Either it was under exposed (most of the time), or the flash would somehow go on, and I'd have yet another piece of abstract art. ;)

Wonderful pier photos, Mike. This is what I like about digital...I can take photos like that and not worry about the exposure as I can see the results and adjust on the fly.

True, but when you have moments like these there is very little time to experiment before the light is gone. I tended to underexpose everything with these kinds of shots.

-Mike Martin

Casio

Next time I'm in Austin, I need to figure out how to get good photos of the bats ...

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Here's a couple of scanned slides from my travels to the Middle East:

14703955747_512fd47132_c.jpg

Fountain and arches by wjw0608, on Flickr

A construction worker uses a compressed air hose to blow away the ever-present sand from the fountain at the entrance to the Arts building on the new campus of King Saud University, Riyadh, Saudi Arabia, 29 July 1984.

14890465685_9c2f11c678_c.jpg

Abandoned by wjw0608, on Flickr

Doors left open since the early 20th century at an abandoned fort built and occupied by, successively, Turkish, British and Arabian armies at Al Kharj, Saudi Arabia, 24 August 1984.

www.wjwcreative.com

www.linkedin.com/in/wjwilcox

Next time I'm in Austin, I need to figure out how to get good photos of the bats ...

Yes!! Nice shot above BTW

Nice shots wjwilcox

-Mike Martin

Casio

Wow! Lots been going on here. :-)

Cool pics Bill!

Love the night shots Mike & Joe. Joe: do you have any tips for taking night shots on an iPad? Mine are always terrible...

"Turn your fingers into a dust rag and keep them keys clean!" ;) Bluzeyone

All I did here was pull the black point up and white point down based on the histogram.

http://mike-warren.net/kcc/pics/Bunny-Curves.jpg

Thanks Mike for demonstrating this. :) Do you guys tend to use these histograms much when you are editing your photos? What are they mostly good for? Thanks.

Thanks Mike for demonstrating this. :) Do you guys tend to use these histograms much when you are editing your photos? What are they mostly good for? Thanks.

I do. But it has to be used in conjunction with the actual image. Have a look at the histograms at the bottom of this page:

http://mike-warren.net/photography-basics-1-exposure/

DigitalFakeBook Free chord/lyric display software for windows.

Joe: do you have any tips for taking night shots on an iPad? Mine are always terrible...

Which iPad? I have an Air, so that might have something to do with it. Or just dumb luck.

Nice tree btw!

http://kenleephotography.files.wordpress.com/2014/07/3235-2014-07-12-0158-164sf8iso200-greencarredinterior-kenlee_carforest-grinch-1000px.jpg

Light painting in the Nevada desert during this long exposure night photo. This now looks like some sort of strange Grinch vehicle. :D

Joe: do you have any tips for taking night shots on an iPad? Mine are always terrible...

Which iPad? I have an Air, so that might have something to do with it. Or just dumb luck.

Nice tree btw!

Mobile phone cameras (and ipad) have a small aperture. Your nightshots are bound to be awful since you cannot get enough light onto the sensor.

Custom handmade clocks: www.etsy.com/shop/ClockLight

Thanks very much Brett, Joe & Ken. :) The photo is actually of an onion flower which had gone to seed. It was about 2 foot tall, so I had to lay on my back to get this angle. Unfortunately there are none left in my garden now, but here is a picture (NOT MINE) of how they look in flower.....

Onion flowers