Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Melt With You - Chorus Help?

JimboK

So my band is gonna do this classic next: Modern English's Melt With You. My wife hates it due to her association with Valley Girl but oh well, she'll cope.

So the Chorus has an variation of the basic key riff that I cannot really figure out due to the clash of the vocals and the other guitar parts. And truthfully, my ear sucks for this kind of thing.

Can anyone lend a hand on the transcription for this? I've Svengled the tar out of this subject to no avail. I downloaded sheet music but of course, that particular part wasn't present (story of my life).

Korg Kronos 2 61, Kronos 1 61, Dave Smith Mopho x4, 1954 Hammond C2, Wurlitzer 200A, Yamaha Motif 6, Casio CDP-100, Alesis Vortex Wireless, too much PA gear!

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I learned it in around 1990, so it's possible I could have modified it over the years without realizing...I would hate to have to actually listen to the song. But here's what I play:

C E G C E G C E G

A F E C A C A G

Repeat, except at the very end, instead of going back to the C, you land on B.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

Gr8 fun tune! We used to cover it. In the chorus I used a patch that was a choir/pad with the cut off freq between 25%-50% open. Yammys have a good starting patch for this called insomnia but all boards have similiar.Hope that helps.. It will make em dance! :thu:
"A good mix is subjective to one's cilia." http://hitnmiss.yolasite.com

I used a patch that was a choir/pad with the cut off freq between 25%-50% open.

Really? Are we talking about the same part? I always used a fairly heavily chorused Square wave (maybe with some slight PW adjustment) with a touch of portamento. I don't hear anything choir-like.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

Those are the notes I play too and I agree with J. Dan on the patch. This song has been a perennial on cover band set lists in bands I've played in pretty much since the day it came out.

Rich Forman

Yamaha MOXF8, Korg Kronos 2-61, Roland Fantom X7, Ferrofish B4000+ organ module, Roland VR-09, EV ZLX12P, K&M Spider Pro stand,

Yamaha S80, Korg Trinity Plus

I probably slopped something that sounded similar but wasn't the same as the real part--just like on every other song I learn (except a few that I try to play note-for-note, like the Breeze solo that I learned from youtube :D)

My problem with that part was that I sang during the chorus, and I have problems with syncopated playing while singing (like most people I expect).

I learned it in around 1990, so it's possible I could have modified it over the years without realizing...I would hate to have to actually listen to the song. But here's what I play:

C E G C E G C E G

A F E C A C A G

Repeat, except at the very end, instead of going back to the C, you land on B.

That's pretty much it. The only other change would be after the break where two overlapping lines are introduced and where the initial line is varied, as shown below (the "B" note over Em not shown).

http://i39.tinypic.com/x3ttn8.png

I used a patch that was a choir/pad with the cut off freq between 25%-50% open.

Really? Are we talking about the same part? I always used a fairly heavily chorused Square wave (maybe with some slight PW adjustment) with a touch of portamento. I don't hear anything choir-like.

Oops! My bad..was thinking of the bridge{ The future..ect..guitar solo part.. Had to go back and listen to it. Looking back now on the chorus its was a squarish wave I used..that was beers(i mean years) ago. :laugh:

"A good mix is subjective to one's cilia." http://hitnmiss.yolasite.com

Archived