Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Weighted vs non-weighted actions on DAWs and similar

icarusi

Given the choice, if you had a weighted action keybed (on a DAW or similar) which you could switch between weighted and non-weighted, would you switch it to non-weighted for organ and synth sounds or would you keep it at weighted for all playing.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If there were some miracle keyboard that allowed you to switch between actions, yes, I'd switch for organ, synth, strings, clav, and a bunch of other non-piano sounds. Since that keyboard doesn't exist, I have both weighted and non-weighted actions for those purposes. If all you're doing in an organ (etc.) part is holding down chords, then you might be able to get away with just one action. But to really play idiomatically, the weighted action will just get in your way.

The better the player, the more it matters.

What ksoper said.

If I have to stick with just one action, I prefer weighted. That said, for rehearsals I use a single semi-weighted keyboard.

In any case, I'd rather have two tiers than one, especially now that keyboards are so nice and light.

I'll be very surprised if I live to see a good keyboard that's switchable. Very surprised. I'm not particularly picky about actions: I find I can get used to any decent action, but even with a low bar like that, I doubt I'll see a satisfactory one that does both. Furthermore, such a feature is likely to add considerable weight.

I'll be delighted if I'm wrong.

I think it was the Nord Stage that uses an earlier trigger point on the keypress for organ and synth sounds - pianos, etc, used the regular "full press" trigger point. It was surprisingly playable for all types of patches.

If I had to replace all my keyboard gear, I'd probably start with that.

Archived