Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

CL score!

Stokely

Occasionally you do run across a real deal on there in-between all the ads selling used gear for more than new...

Ad shows 2 standtastic stands (2 tier) and 1 quicklok mixer stand for $45. I'm thinking, 45 each is not bad, but it turned out to be $45 total!

Unfortunately while the stands are in great shape they are the shorter 48" version--not sure yet I can stand up and play both tiers. My co-worker already bought one off me--good deal to get a standtastic double tier for $15! (if he wasn't a good friend I'm sure I'd have made a bit of profit :))

Other than being a bit shorter than I'd like, I may miss the mic arm that goes on my z-stand. I actually love the z, it's just a pain to transport. I'll have to get our drummer (amazing when it comes to building stage stuff) to see about a custom mic boom attachment if possible. Also need to talk to him about rotating riser ideas after seeing that twister stand thread LOL! He claimed he could improve on the stand after looking at it, I may put him to the test :)

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I just collected a Roland JX 10 which was advertised locally for....£20! I assumed it was probably not working, but I thought even a broken one could be sold for £100 or so. When I picked it up, I found it was in mint condition, working perfectly, and it also had the PG800 programmer! (Plus a stand and some cartridges..). I did actually email the seller first to ask if there was a mistake with the price, but he seemed to think I was trying to get the price lower! This has to be the best deal I will ever find.

I just collected a Roland JX 10 which was advertised locally for....£20! I assumed it was probably not working, but I thought even a broken one could be sold for £100 or so. When I picked it up, I found it was in mint condition, working perfectly, and it also had the PG800 programmer! (Plus a stand and some cartridges..).

:freak:

Merry Christmas!

When an eel hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that's a Moray.

My biggest CL deal was a working Hammond A100 and a non working leslie 147 for $300, All I had to do was put a fuse in the 147, and new 6550 tubes ( about $60) and all is well....Hammond is not showroom , but sounds nice.

"Ive been playing Hammond since long before anybody paid me to play one, I didn't do it to be cool, I didnt do it to make a statement......I just liked it "

I just collected a Roland JX 10 which was advertised locally for....£20! I assumed it was probably not working, but I thought even a broken one could be sold for £100 or so. When I picked it up, I found it was in mint condition, working perfectly, and it also had the PG800 programmer! (Plus a stand and some cartridges..). I did actually email the seller first to ask if there was a mistake with the price, but he seemed to think I was trying to get the price lower! This has to be the best deal I will ever find.

This is the best deal I've ever heard of in my somewhat long musical life. Congrats, and eternal envy. :D

Personally, I passed on a CS80 for about 500 bucks during the late 80s.... :freak:

I sold my JX10 and Pg800 recently because I had to sell off a lot before I moved across country. I loved using the JX10 mididd with the Oberheim Matrix 12.. they just matched one another perfectly might get hold of a MKS70 one day

but then again the LED display on both of these beasts is very problematic after almost 30 years(!)

My cousin got a great score. He was living in Elizabeth City, NC and playing guitar full-time with his band.

He was working in a local pawn shop for some extra $ and an old guy came in, recognized him from the band and told him he had something in his garage he might be interested in.

Ted (cousin) goes over and sitting there is a near-mint Rhodes Stage 88, complete with legs and sustain pedal.

Ted asks what he wants, guy says make him an offer.

Ted walked away with the Rhodes for $100 and a beat up Samick electric guitar.

Here it is two days after he took ownership of it.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y37/PianoDemon/Rhodes.jpg

I got a free Rhodes Stage 73 from my former bassist, but that cost a pretty penny to get cleaned up, tuned, repaired, etc.

The Stage 88 didn't need any work at all, so that's the better deal IMHO.

Nord Stage 2 SW73, Kurzweil PC3LE7, Moog Sub 37, Alesis Ion, Rhodes Stage 73, Moog Werkstatt-01, Yamaha CP-300

-------------

Knock knock

Who's there?

Interrupting synthesizer

Interrup-MOOOOOOOOOG

Turned out the stands were indeed in great condition, minus a wingnut (which looks pretty standard, albeit black!)

Wrestling with the height factor though, I have to put both tiers way way up and close together; so close together that the arms would have to be taken off to fit the stand in the bag. The mic issue is a bummer also--I really got used to not needing a boom stand! I'll figure something out. On the plus side, it looks better (more "not there" actually, you don't notice it as much) and will be way easier to transport than the Z.

Ironically, the little quicklok mixer stand may see the most use as I needed something like that regardless of stand!

And yes that JX-10 deal was insane...I owned one and the pg800. What a great board, though I did have a few key contacts go out, supposedly it was a Roland problem for a while back then.

And on the opposite front...I passed on a deal to get a Hammond XK3 and a Leslie (122 iirc) for $1000....it was a few hours away but he had it all hooked up and claimed it all worked great. I didn't feel I could properly tell if the Leslie had anything wrong with it as I have no experience wtih one (and the leslie was what made it a great deal), but I regretted not taking a plunge on that.

My cousin got a great score. He was living in Elizabeth City, NC and playing guitar full-time with his band.

He was working in a local pawn shop for some extra $ and an old guy came in, recognized him from the band and told him he had something in his garage he might be interested in.

Ted (cousin) goes over and sitting there is a near-mint Rhodes Stage 88, complete with legs and sustain pedal.

Ted asks what he wants, guy says make him an offer.

Ted walked away with the Rhodes for $100 and a beat up Samick electric guitar.

Here it is two days after he took ownership of it.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y37/PianoDemon/Rhodes.jpg

I got a free Rhodes Stage 73 from my former bassist, but that cost a pretty penny to get cleaned up, tuned, repaired, etc.

The Stage 88 didn't need any work at all, so that's the better deal IMHO.

I lived in Elizabeth City during the 80's - that Rhodes looks exactly like the one that we bought used for a church that was in the old Lighthouse (former bar) building downtown. If it is the same one, another guy and I loaded it into the Datsun pickup I had then many times to carry it to various places we played. At the time, I had a Baldwin 5 console church organ (which didn't get moved), Sequential Prophet 600, Gibson RD Artist bass, sax, clarinet, and bass clarinet.

That particular Rhodes was in very good shape the last time I saw it in the late 80's. The church got a good deal on it when we bought it, because it sat in the music store for a while, all the players wanted the smaller and lighter 73 key version.

Howard Grand|Hamm SK1-73|Kurz PC2|PC2X|PC3|PC3X|PC361; QSC K10's

HP DAW|Epi Les Paul & LP 5-str bass|iPad mini2

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Jim

I lived in Elizabeth City during the 80's - that Rhodes looks exactly like the one that we bought used for a church that was in the old Lighthouse (former bar) building downtown. If it is the same one, another guy and I loaded it into the Datsun pickup I had then many times to carry it to various places we played. At the time, I had a Baldwin 5 console church organ (which didn't get moved), Sequential Prophet 600, Gibson RD Artist bass, sax, clarinet, and bass clarinet.

That particular Rhodes was in very good shape the last time I saw it in the late 80's. The church got a good deal on it when we bought it, because it sat in the music store for a while, all the players wanted the smaller and lighter 73 key version.

Small world! Would be funny if it is the same Rhodes.

When I took that pic, we were playing in Cape Charles, VA at a bar right on the water by the Bay Bridge-Tunnel.

The night before we played at the Jewish Mother in VA Beach. Stacked my VR-760 on top of that and did a set of originals and Steely Dan tunes. Way different action than an acoustic piano and damn were my wrists aching by the end of that set.

Nord Stage 2 SW73, Kurzweil PC3LE7, Moog Sub 37, Alesis Ion, Rhodes Stage 73, Moog Werkstatt-01, Yamaha CP-300

-------------

Knock knock

Who's there?

Interrupting synthesizer

Interrup-MOOOOOOOOOG

Archived