Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Guitar Building

Randy Ellefson

Have any of you built a guitar? Im curious to hear your experiences.

Ive assembled three, usually with some help. Every time I buy parts, even from the same place (so they know theyre going together and should not screw it up), theres something up with the parts. For example, my 3rd one, they cut the nut too low and it needed three shims to raise it. I didnt know how off it was (I could just tell it wasnt right) or have the shims, so I took it to a pro, who fixed that and then re-did my setup.

If youve never built one and always wanted to, I have a video showing how easy most of it is:

Rand

Stream my rock and acoustic guitar instrumentals from http://www.randyellefson.com, or check my metal band Z-Order at

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I thought the video was interesting too, in spite of the fact my skills in this department would assure it's assembly would result in one of the worst guitars ever seen.

But, has anyone here ever built a guitar from SCRATCH? I don't mean from a kit like seen in the video, but from raw wood? While in high school, some kid undertook the project of building a guitar( turned out to be an acoustic archtop) without using any pre-cut or shaped components. Took him two semesters, but it turned out splendid. He even hand shaped the mother-of-pearl inlays that spelled his name on the headstock! "Perkins".

As one who usually goes through a half keg of nails before I hammer one without bending it, and most my projects look more fit for "Pee-Wee's Playhouse" than anywhere else, I have a rabid envy and admiration for anyone capable of such workmanship.

Whitefang

I started out with NOTHING...and I still have most of it left!

Depends on the definition of build. I have built a lot if you consider starting with Warmoth, Mighty Mite and Fender bodies and necks as building. If you are talking about buying stock hardwoods and building completely from scratch then no. I am more of a electronics guy than a luthier woodworker kind of guy.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

Archived