Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

New analog polysynth/sequencer from Elektron

GovernorSilver

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oscillators and filters are real analog, like their Analog Four from a few months ago. Don't know about VCA(s).

Sounds good to my ears, even though it's clearly directed to the techno loop-until-the-neighbors-call-the-police crowd rather than old-school dinosaur players like me.

Oscillators and filters are real analog, like their Analog Four from a few months ago. Don't know about VCA(s).

Sounds good to my ears, even though it's clearly directed to the techno loop-until-the-neighbors-call-the-police crowd rather than old-school dinosaur players like me.

I enjoyed watching fellow forumites "discover" you for the first time in that synth leads thread, though I 've known you can play since I got your jazz piano trio CD a few years back.

I have no doubt you could play something awesome on this thing, especially with a joystick that can be assigned to up to 15 parameters at once.

Interesting design, but not enough knobbage for me. :idk

Would be more functional if it had 49 keys.

I second that.

Too many knobs for the sequencer/tracks,- not enough for sound parameters.

Looks like menue diving.

I´d wish it had no sequencer and were a pure 4-voice analog w/ a 49-keys action and I´d wish it had wheels then, no joystick.

I cannot bend larger musical intervalls using a joystick and using the/a 2-semitone PB range isn´t for me.

A.C.

Interesting design, but not enough knobbage for me. :idk

Would be more functional if it had 49 keys.

I second that.

Looks like menue diving.

I´d wish it had no sequencer and were a pure 4-voice analog w/ a 49-keys action and I´d wish it had wheels then, no joystick.

I cannot bend larger musical intervalls using a joystick and using the/a 2-semitone PB range isn´t for me.

A.C.

I thought in the 25-keys thread it was agreed that 37 keys was the acceptable minimum? Doesn't the Minimoog D only have 44 keys? ;)

That's where one dates himself, I'm afraid...

Agreed.

Looks like menue diving.
Right, although I don't mind *some* of that.

Same here.

I hope you don't mean that pitchbend range is fixed?! That would be bizarre. If you mean that controlling large intervals with a joystick is uncomfortable and unnatural, I subscribe.

I would have preferred more than 2 oscs, but I guess that if you're stacking multiple voices for leads and basses, you don't need that.

Also, it's not very clear to me if this synth is following the horrible trend of having an EXTERNAL POWER SUPPLY. This factor alone would make it less desirable to me.

That said, I find it amazing that so many people are designing analog synthesizers in year 2013. This thing sounds good to me, and the voice channel looks quite complete - although a bit bizarre with all those fixed-path envelopes and LFOs. Maybe we should just be grateful and play them. :)

I hope you don't mean that pitchbend range is fixed?! That would be bizarre.

How could I ?

If you mean that controlling large intervals with a joystick is uncomfortable and unnatural, I subscribe.

This !

I find a joysick is a cool controller,- in addition to wheels.

It´s great for the X|Y thingy but for me it is the worst controlling pitchbends when it comes to bend accurate intervals within scales.

I need the thumb to do that,- coming from Minimoog ...

I also cannot perfectly control a wheel or NORD´s pitchstick w/ my forefinger or any finger,- thumb and wheel for me is the ideal combo.

Even the Roland PB/Mod paddle forces me to use PB ranges not larger than a minor 3rd.

I´m fine w/ my middle finger on a ribbon though, like on my Yammi KX5.

... the horrible trend of having an EXTERNAL POWER SUPPLY. This factor alone would make it less desirable to me.

Confirmed !

That said, I find it amazing that so many people are designing analog synthesizers in year 2013.

Well, possibly because the market for the digital emulations is saturated and/or dominated by other (the big 5?) manufacturers.

A.C.

That said, I find it amazing that so many people are designing analog synthesizers in year 2013.

These manufacturers realized that analog synths would actually sell if they made them. ;) Korg reportedly waited until 30,000 downloads of iMS-20 were sold before they decided to make the real thing again.

We buy them because we love the classic sounds, but we also love the "happy accidents" you can get with voltage-controlled gear, and one-knob-per-function hardware UIs. However, Elektron has bucked the trend by making these analog synths with their UI design style instead of adhering to the one-knob-per-function paradigm. I have an Octatrack, which has 6 knobs, but one has to hit a lot of different button combos to access different functions for those knobs to control. I have heard the Analog Four has a similarly quirky UI design.

The sequencer will interest me. I cannot imagine a Elektron without motion sequencing. Not sure how I feel about the $1849 list price. Wonder what the discount will be?

I think I would prefer it without the keys. Still want the sequencer.

JRRShop has been advertising a 10% off Elektron sale until Dec. 13 - but I don't know if that includes the Analog Keys. The discount only shows up in the shopping cart. I don't know if this is the same sale that Elektron has in their online shop or if JRRShop is throwing in an additional 10% discount on top of that.

I mainly started this thread because it's interesting to see somebody introduce an analog synth with more than 25 keys after we sort of concluded that we'd never see such a thing again. ;)

I'm old school dinosaur still wishing I could play like you! :D

:nopity:

Sounds like the Mopho x4 to me, which I think would be a better bet. To be honest, I find four-note polyphony more than a bit limited, unless you're playing it with one hand.

~ Sean

Juno-60, Juno-G, MicroBrute, MS-20 Mini, PX-5S, R3, etc.

• 3 months later...

Synth voice features (×4)

Fully analog signal path

2 × analog oscillators

Variable waveshape on all waveforms

Oscillator AM and Sync modes

2 × sub-oscillators

1 × noise generator

1 × 4-pole analog lowpass ladder filter

1 × 2-pole analog multi-mode filter

1 × analog overdrive circuit

Filter feedback

2 × assignable LFOs

1 × dedicated vibrato LFO

2 × dedicated waveshape LFOs

1 × amp envelope

2 × assignable envelopes

2 × dedicated LFO fade envelopes

1 × dedicated noise fade envelope

1 × dedicated vibrato envelope

1 × dedicated autobend envelope

3 × individual effect sends

Up to 4 notes of polyphony

Up to 4 part multitimbrality

Up to 4 note unison playback

Full MIDI support

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

Archived