Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

IEMs in small-time gigs?

Aidan

This was really inspired by David/EscapeRocks' recent "Simplifying the rig" thread.

I really want to switch to IEMs, for two reasons. Obvious one is weight and convenience. Perhaps more telling is that thanks to the side-effects of radiotherapy, I already have tinnitus and high-end loss in my left ear, so I'm trying to be ultra-careful in protecting what remains of my hearing.

The problem is that the bands I'm currently gigging or guesting with are nowhere being near at the level where I suspect many of you are already using this kind of a solution drums are not mic'ed, and often guitar and bass are just going out through modest combo amps.

Heck, one band I'm currently gigging with doesn't even have any real foldback. Many others have mixers so modest that there isn't even a spare output to send me back the FoH mix.

So, if I put together a similar JDI Radial Duplex/Rolls MX122 combo as mentioned by David (I already have the DI), could I then use a mic (possibly with the augmentation of FoH/vocal feeds when available) to bring in the rest of the "on stage" sound into the Rolls for my IEM mix? Would a bog-standard dynamic like an SM58 suffice?

Studio: Yamaha P515 | Yamaha Tyros 5 | Yamaha HX1 | Moog Sub 37

Road: Yamaha YC88 | Nord Electro 5D

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Depending on the earplugs' isolation and the the volume on stage, you may not even need to mix in the band. I've been in situations like this, where I used my earplugs with my Etymotic mc3 plugged into them, and I could hear the band just as well as when I wore just the earplugs with the filters.

It might be worth experimenting.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Yeah I'm looking at the Ultimate Ears UE4 and they have an 'ambient' option, or you can insert a plug for full isolation. Anyone here with experience of this model? I've also been thinking about some custom earplugs for concerts etc and wonder whether the UE4s with the ambient option might do double duty.

I have used UE's but not with an ambient option and actually that sounds like a good idea.

Only thing is I prefer as much bass as possible and it's not easy to find any IEM monitors with lots of bass.........

Yamaha CP70B;Roland XP30/AXSynth/Fantom/FA76/XR;Hammond XK3C SK2; Korg Kronos 73;ProSoloist Rack+; ARP ProSoloist; Mellotron M4000D; GEM Promega2; Hohner Pianet N, Roland V-Grand,Voyager XL, RMI

I don't understand how, in a situation such as you described, you can balance your volume with the other instruments and keep your overall volume at the level you want it to be, relative to the audience.

If your ears are plugged with IEMs, how are you going to do this?

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

Tom, keys would be going to FoH via the DI and it would be the responsibility of whoever was working the sound to make sure enough of me was in the mains.

Tom, keys would be going to FoH via the DI and it would be the responsibility of whoever was working the sound to make sure enough of me was in the mains.

OK. It sounded as if you did not have anyone in the house running your sound and you were mixing it from the stage when you said:

Heck, one band I'm currently gigging with doesn't even have any real foldback. Many others have mixers so modest that there isn't even a spare output to send me back the FoH mix.

Tom

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

Yeah, Tom, I guess there could be issues particularly in sounds where you're riding the levels a bit like Hammond or using an expression pedal to make for more realistic brass patches etc. Ah what to do, what to do...

Archived