Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Megachurch megagig

skipclone 1

Wow, my brother just posted on FB, that a group of modern jazz royalty came to his church to record a DVD, part of a series called `The Gospel According to Jazz`. We`re talking about people like Kirk Whalum, Norman Brown, Rick Braun, Gerald Veasley-at one point, before I moved to Japan, I was listening to those guys almost every day on CD 101.9 radio out of New York. Pretty kool.

Same old surprises, brand new cliches-

Skipsounds on Soundclick:

www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandid=602491

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

None whatsoever.

There is a station called J-wave, that has a relatively progressive format, but it`s a Japanese station. They have a few bilingual DJs-and you know that because they spend as much time talking as playing music.

The AFN station is even more hopeless, at least they used to have a different music format each night of the week. Monday was nu-metal/hard rock night. No jazz. Now they have gone over to a totally idiotic syndicated DJ chat/call-in format. I have no idea what to listen to at this point

Anyway the guys I mentioned, probably would not be familiar to you unless you know Spiro Gyra, or The Rippingtons. But they are at the top of the `smooth jazz` genre.

Having said that there is an area of Tokyo that has a lot of small clubs where jazz is king. Some of the top players go there for after hours jams. Prices certainly reflect that, my friend Sofi lives in the area and I have gone to see her perform a few times. I can almost feel my wallet reacting like a trip to the vet.

Now I REALLY feel out of it. I haven't heard of a single one of those guys.

Scott, Gerald Veasley is a major force on bass-there was kind of a `bass summit` concert here, I think it was last year. He, Victor Wooten and two others I can`t recall.

Now I REALLY feel out of it. I haven't heard of a single one of those guys.

Scott, Gerald Veasley is a major force on bass-there was kind of a `bass summit` concert here, I think it was last year. He, Victor Wooten and two others I can`t recall.

Victor I know. Kronos played a radio gig with Bela & the Flecktones many years ago. And his brother, Futureman, did a session here in my studio earlier this year. But the Smooth Jazz scene is pretty well off my radar. Kenny G sort of put me off that genre for good.

Scott Fraser

Archived