Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: Google Chrome... an annoyance

Synthoid

I started using Chrome several months ago and was impressed with its speed and cleaner interface. I had a few minor problems with it at first but got on track after making a few recommended adjustments.

But... it's been dragging again the last two days. (On the other hand, Firefox is performing fine). I'm not visiting sites that are overly graphics intensive--usually just forums like this one. I only have 2-3 tabs open most of the time, clear my history weekly, and run my anti-virus program often.

I noticed when checking TASK MANAGER this afternoon, there were 6 instances of Chrome running and I only had two tabs open. It's an awful system hog, but I don't recall that many instances when I first started using it earlier this year.

Any helpful tips and tricks welcome. :mad:

When an eel hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that's a Moray.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply
A lot of that memory drag will depend on what extensions you have installed. If you're big on extensions, it's gonna weigh down your system.

Soul, R&B, Pop from Los Angeles

http://philipclark.com

Cannonball Gerald Albright Signature Alto, Yamaha YC73, Fender Rhodes, Roland Juno-106, Yamaha MX61, Roland VR-09, MicroKorg XL, Maschine Mikro, Yamaha Reface CP, Roland MKS-50

For kicks, you should try Chromium which is the browser project that gave birth to Google Chrome. See if it makes any difference in speed. Most things but not entirely all things will work the same in Chromium as it does in Chrome. One big difference is that Chromium does not phone home to the Google mother-ship like Chrome does. I am using a Linux distro so I only have Chromium at my disposal so I cannot compare the 2 browsers first hand.

Chrome is a system hog. If you open up very many windows, it will choke your system to a standstill. Sounds like you're already doing everything I would have suggested.

I like the suggestion of creating a new sign-in. That's a great idea.

Kurzweil Forte, Yamaha Motif ES7, Muse Receptor 2 Pro Max, Neo Ventilator

Chrome is a system hog. If you open up very many windows, it will choke your system to a standstill.

I still find it odd that TASK MANAGER often shows 6 instances of Chrome running when I only have 2 tabs open. Most illogical.

http://media1.break.com/breakstudios/2012/2/12/spock.jpg

I still find it odd that TASK MANAGER often shows 6 instances of Chrome running when I only have 2 tabs open. Most illogical.

This page may explain what's going on with that.

C L I C K I T Y

That helps, thanks. :thu:

I did some tweaking and reset Chrome to the default theme. It's much better now.

Mind sharing your tweaks?

Like I mentioned above, I reset Chrome to the default theme, and only have one extension running at the moment--AdBlock.

I also found some ADVANCED SETTINGS information online that made suggestions regarding a few things to uncheck there,

but I forgot what they were... sorry.

Archived