Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

top ten douchiest guitarists?

pinkjimiphoton

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah-the writer is overindulgent in using the term `overindulgent`. I think I get that, thanks...

...and yeah, where`s Ted?

Same old surprises, brand new cliches-

Skipsounds on Soundclick:

www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandid=602491

On a side note why is dave navarro even considered a guitarist. He is as fake as they come.

Ok back to normal programming

Lok

1997 PRS CE24, 1981 Greco MSV 850, 1991 Greco V 900, 2 2006 Dean Inferno Flying Vs, 1987 Gibson Flying V, 2000s Jackson Dinky/Soloist, 1992 Gibson Les Paul Studio,

Well it`s pretty clear that several people who are total douche nozzles personally, instead get slammed for their playing, while several people who come across as perfectly nice guys-which brings up another question, where is The Great Kat?-are on the same list-apparently the writer is unable to or uninterested in, distinguishing between `overindulgence` and douchery.

I love Uncle Ted. These other guys want to put him on this **** list. Uncle Ted is great!

I always liked playing this. Sort of has a Paperback Writer on steroids kind of groove.

[video:youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HhASdtmz9C8

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

Uncle Ted, don't like him huh? stand on stage with him sometime and try to trade licks, see how you do!

+1 the same is true with Yngwie Malsteen, who is on the list. I wouldn't be qualified to sweep the stage for either one of them much less stand on it...

Take care, Larryz

An American Classic. Greatest live rock album ever ..... atleast Greatest live album since perhap The Who Live at Leeds.

[video:youtube]

Like any list, I disagree with a bunch of it. Satch is douchey? C'mon- I'm douchier than he is!

If by Satch you mean Rick Neilsen, then hats off. I always used to joke about him reminding me of Huntz Hall.

Many if not all guitarists on this list are good musicians. Obviously, the author doesn't seem to like any of that about them that has nothing to do with their guitar skills. Just their style or something. C'mon! MAYER is a douch because he makes funny faces when he plays? How many DON'T?

If I were to make up a "douchiest guitarist" list, it would be of those "guitarists" who managed to be positioned in a very successful band but couldn't play worth a shit. Or at least play good enough to be thought of as an "honorable mention".

That would take some brain racking and quiet thought to come up with ten. But I could start with two.

DREW ABBOTT from Bob Seger's Silver Bullet Band, and...

ROD RICHARDS from the earlier Rare Earth line up.

Oh, and TED NUGENT wouldn't wind up on the list if only he never opened his mouth.

Whitefang

I started out with NOTHING...and I still have most of it left!

Oh, and TED NUGENT wouldn't wind up on the list if only he never opened his mouth.

Whitefang

Indeed, the 4-month time lapse between when he declared Zack De La Roca as having "gone too far" with his comments about the Bush administration needing to be "shot, tried, and hung" to his own comment about telling Obama to "suck on my machine gun" was pretty much cast Uncle Ted in concrete as the biggest douche in rock 'n' roll in my mind, regardless of instrument.

I'm all for people expressing their political positions, whether I agree or not, but don't be a goddamned hypocrite.

I've had to explain to a few people that Rick Nielsen is a tongue-in-cheek parody of the guitar hero. He's supposed to be needlessly excessive and goofy, that's the point. In the guitar god era he popped up in, he turned that entire thing on its head by NOT trying to out-solo everybody and by being the polar opposite of the cool guy. Angus Young was the same concept. I'm amazed that a lot of younger dudes just miss this by a mile... but I guess hipsters now all dress a little goofy without any thought behind it.

Whitefang

Indeed, the 4-month time lapse between when he declared Zack De La Roca as having "gone too far" with his comments about the Bush administration needing to be "shot, tried, and hung" to his own comment about telling Obama to "suck on my machine gun" was pretty much cast Uncle Ted in concrete as the biggest douche in rock 'n' roll in my mind, regardless of instrument.

I'm all for people expressing their political positions, whether I agree or not, but don't be a goddamned hypocrite.

Oh you will have that from time to time. Cavemen are really serious people.

Most live albums I find sort of meh. They are often good but I would rather listen to a studio album but Uncle Teddy is 20x better live than in the studio. His only album after Tooth Fang Claw I really liked was Double Live Gonzo.

I love the entrance. LOL! Cliff Davies was hell of of drummer. RIP.

[video:youtube]

PS - Take that back I really like the Nugent album. The one with Bound and Gagged that came out aroundtime the Iranian hostage crisis happend. I saw Uncle on that tour. He had the whole arena in a war chant. It was like massive rck n roll hakka time.

I can see Ritchie Blackmore being on the list for a few reasons, such as his famous quote "Yeah, I wear black leather and I don't give a damn", or his total lack of respect for his audiences, or some of his guitar solos being little more than a high speed jumble of musical notes with no discernable melody (a crime that I am extremely guilty of). But attacking Edward Van Halen just because lots of wannabes try to imitate him? How absurd.
I rock; therefore, I am.

Well sorry but, to my ears Ted`s playing was gratingly miscast in Damn Yankees-a perfectly competent 90s rock band with rehashed, 70s Grand Funk leftover guitar. Ouch.

That band also featured probably the most overt 180 degree about face message-wise in pop history, from Tommy Shaw. From `Grand Illusion` and `Foolin` Yourself` to Damn Yankees. Scratching my head so much is probably one reason for the state of my hair today.

Well sorry but, to my ears Ted`s playing was gratingly miscast in Damn Yankees-a perfectly competent 90s 80s rock hair metal band with rehashed, 70s Grand Funk leftover guitar. Ouch.

That band also featured probably the most overt 180 degree about face message-wise in pop history, from Tommy Shaw. From `Grand Illusion` 'Lady' and `Foolin` Yourself` 'Come Sail Away' to Damn Yankees. Scratching my head so much is probably one reason for the state of my hair today.

Fixed.

Makes a lot more sense now, yes? :D

I just don't know how they left David Hasselhoff off that list -

http://blu.stb.s-msn.com/i/D9/16A4E57F81AABCBCFE6152E61BAB1.jpg

"Monsters are real, and Ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes, they win." Stephen King

http://www.novparolo.com

https://thewinstonpsmithproject.bandcamp.com

Well sorry but, to my ears Ted`s playing was gratingly miscast in Damn Yankees-a perfectly competent 90s 80s rock hair metal band with rehashed, 70s Grand Funk leftover guitar. Ouch.

That band also featured probably the most overt 180 degree about face message-wise in pop history, from Tommy Shaw. From `Grand Illusion` 'Lady' and `Foolin` Yourself` 'Come Sail Away' to Damn Yankees. Scratching my head so much is probably one reason for the state of my hair today.

Fixed.

Makes a lot more sense now, yes? :D

Not if you consider that they didn`t form till 1989. Their debut album went 2X platinum in 1990. And hair metal-I can`t seriously attach any variant of metal to that band. I don`t disagree with your song choices but the don`t seem any better or worse than mine.

Archived