Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Purchased a Muse Receptor Trio: What software to use?

AnthonyM

Hello Everyone:

I finally pulled the trigger on a Muse Receptor Trio - and had it slightly upgraded to 16GB. The deciding factor was the demo Stephen Fortner did for Keyboard Magazine with Bryan Lanser (explaining Live Mode). So thank you Stephen and Bryan. Also a comment I read here on the forum from one of you when discussing the new workstations: He advised that a person could just get a couple of Muse Receptors and Controller Keyboards and have a nice setup!

Outside of Komplete 8 and Ivory, does anyone have any suggestions for software to be used with it. I know at the moment it is not compatible with East West PLAY titles. Does anyone know if they can be used with TrueKeys by VI Labs and Easy Drummer?

Also, while I know some members have had experience with the prior versions of the Receptor, has anyone here also purchased the newer models and outside of the interface and Live Mode - do you see significant differences. What is your experience using them and how are you fitting them into your live racks?

I purchased one because I didn't want any compromise in the sound of the instruments for playing/recording. And also for the "keep it simple" factor as compared to using a laptop live.

Although I am not playing out right now, I hope to be doing so in the future and will be looking around, as soon as I complete my rig. But am excitedly waiting to see what comes out in the coming year.

Hope you all have a great Columbus Day weekend!

Anthony

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Anthony. Congrats on the purhcase! I'm stil enjoying my Receptor 2.

Not sure about TrueKeys. You'd have to see if the latest UVI engine will run on the Receptor (offhand... not sure).

For grins I loaded Superior Drummer on mine (have not tried EZDrummer, which I also own). The main issue is that the Receptor really can't trigger MIDI clips, so unless you are planning to trigger the drum samples themselves, I'm not sure you'd get mileage out of the grooves.

As for other sounds, it depends on what you want to do, no?

Komplete is just such a huge galaxy of stuff.

Add something like Omnisphere, well, now it's a universe.

-John

I make software noises.

Hi Anthony -

I had an earlier Receptor, which didn't have Live Mode and some of the other upgrades; but still found Mix Mode to be very useful, though it initially had a slightly steeper learning curve. So with the new Receptor, you have the best of both worlds. I'm in the process of having a Trio set up for my current software instruments: Omnisphere, VB3, Pianoteq 4, and Komplete 9; also adding the American Concert D from Ivory II. I highly recommend Omnisphere and VB3 as candidates for your Receptor.

This new breed of Receptors looks to be a great step forward in the development of the line. After reviewing the video demos, I spoke at length with Bryan Lanser of Muse Research. Restored my faith in the product - after a less than stellar ride with a much earlier model that had been upgraded; different time and product is what I've concluded. Compared to carrying a laptop to gigs, the Receptor is simply a better, more hassle-free solution; and it's optimized for music production / performance. Even with my prior unit, those differences were quite clear.

Hope the new Trio works out great. Keep us posted..

'Someday, we'll look back on these days and laugh; likely a maniacal laugh from our padded cells, but a laugh nonetheless' - Mr. Boffo.

We need a barfing cat emoticon!

Allan,

Wow, I thought you had sworn them off! :) That will be an excellent piece of kit.

I was hoping you guys could weigh in on the Trio's latency, given the USB connection to the Presonus I/O. (I like running my Rec 2 with a 64-sample buffer for NI pianos.) I know those VSL boxes are supposed to have some pretty tweaked drivers... just wasn't sure how well that worked in the Receptor implementation.

-John

I make software noises.

Thanks for the feedback guy's. Allen, it's going to be a while before I learn how to set up and use the Receptor effectively. I have to accustom myself to the GUI and all that the new Receptor is capable of doing. John, like you said, Komplete is a huge collection. Although I tried a demo of something else I REALLY liked which was the Soul Grooves VST for the Rhodes.

I am also planning on purchasing the Ivory II upgrade - never had the chance to use Ivory 1 and the American Concert D. I saw a demo online from 7-Note-Mode and it was impressive.

I DO want to utilize the Receptor for more than a high cost piano module though. But it will take me awhile to dig my hands into it!

I remember a thread someone posted a while ago about the difference in sound quality between hardware keyboards and software instruments, particularly live.

I think irregardless of the sound quality improvement in Ivory or other VST software packages, I'm going to be picking up a the new Yamaha digital piano sometime in the coming months.

Thanks again for the input!

Anthony

Archived