Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Secondary (backup) Keyboard for my Stage 2

TwoHandsDown

I'm in a Fleetwood Mac tribute band playing my Nord Stage2. It's pretty much all I need and it's been totally reliable, but the band is getting bigger gigs and I want to get a backup board for the second tier of my rig.

My shopping parameters are: under one thousand cost, decent organ, piano, and synth sounds, under 22 lbs. I need at least two layers and a single split to get buy.

Does anybody want to weigh in with their thoughts about a board that might fill the requirements? ...probably a tall order.

Thanks!

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree, the VR-09 fits the bill just about perfectly.

But just for a different take on the situation... for the same price, I'd also consider a Casio PX-5S, because 99% of the time, it's not going to be used as backup, because the Nord is unlikely to go down. So as long as it's going to be there all the time, I might look for the 2nd board to complement rather than duplicate what's in the first, as long as it can duplicate the first well enough to just get you through the gig if you need to use it that way.

The Casio would give you a weighted action which is much nicer for playing piano (and you can easily use it to play the Nord's piano sounds). It also has the ability to call up presets on your Nord more conveniently than you can from the Nord itself. In terms of the specific requirements you menbtioned, at 24 lbs it's close to your 22 lb limit, its split/layer functionality exceeds what's on the VR-09 or on the Nord itself, it's the right price, it has "good enough" piano and organ sounds to get you through the gig if you needed to (albeit not Nord quality), and it's pretty flexible as a synth.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

If you're a heavy organ player, you may actually *prefer* the VR-09 to the NS2. I actually prefer the action on the VR-09 to the action on an M-100, as the keys are shaped better for glissandi. The high trigger point is a real big deal for organ playing, too.

If you're a heavy expressive piano player, not so much. I find it tricky to play the VR-09 piano with a lot of expression. It's possible, but hard for me, coming from a Yamaha GHS action. So what you get REALLY depends on who you are as a player. (Which NS2 do you have?)

If you're considering a VR-09, I would urge you to try it in the store for 30-45 minutes. In particular, work through glissandi and smears along with things like fast scales. To me, the VR-09 is a lot like a single manual waterfall organ. The Leslie switch and drawbars are just about right. The expression pedal I have (aftermarket) needs replacing. I just couldn't swallow the $235 price tag on the Roland unit. Maybe I should try the Yamaha FC-7.

Another thing I like about using the VR-09 "in a pinch" is how easy it is to quickly create splits and duals, and how easy it is to alter a sound which is nearly right...in particular in terms of attack and decay. That's why it's a great "sit-in" keyboard.

Hammond: L111, M100, M3, BC, CV, Franken CV, A100, D152, C3, B3

Leslie: 710, 760, 51C, 147, 145, 122, 22H, 31H

Yamaha: CP4, DGX-620, DX7II-FD-E!, PF85, DX9

Roland: VR-09, RD-800

I agree with AnotherScott. First decision is - do you want an unweighted/"organ-style" keyboard that more-or-less duplicates what you have, or a piano-action board that complements the Stage 2?

I'd be voting for the latter, hence PX5s, but your needs may be different. The VR09 makes a good "Nord Stage lite" board, if that's what you're looking for.

Cheers, Mike.

I have a Stage2 Compact 73 - semi-weighted, waterfall keys. I love it. I chose it over the 76 and 88 key versions due to cost and weight (I liked the piano action on the 76, and 88 though). Organ is my favorite instrument but I'm doing more and more piano.

There have been a couple instances where an additional synth sound would have been helpful beyond the Nord's limit of two but for the most part I guess I'm looking for a "Nord Stage Lite" solution.

Thanks for the great responses/discussion. More welcome...

John

Your Nord is a solid bit of reliability.

Are you looking for second tier or just a backup?

Second tier - the crew on here have weighed in for you. Casio PX5s (my choice) or the Roland VR-09.

Backup - pick up a used Roland Juno D or similar for a fraction of your budget. It'll get you through the night.

I'm the piano player "off of" Borrowed Books.

If you had the Stage 76 or 88, I'd recommend the VR09 to sit above it. Given that you have the Compact, I'd recommend the PX-5S to go below it. You'll enjoy having two keyboards to play simultaneously (e.g., not having to change patches when switching from piano to organ & back, or playing both together). You'll have a weighted action for piano and epianos, and a great action on the Nord for organ, clav, wurlie, and synth.

You can play the NS's piano from the PX-5S while using the NS's organ, but you may find you prefer the PX's piano.

If either one dies, the other one can carry the load well enough for the rest of the gig. The PX-5S's biggest weakness is the organ, but it'd get you through a gig.

• 11 months later...

The end result on this was my purchase of a VR-09 to sit above my Stage2 compact. It will fill my needs nicely as a backup. I doubt I'll be using it at shows unless the Nord has problems.

I must admit having it makes me appreciate my Stage2 more, but at 1/4th the price the VR-09 is a lot of board for the money.

John

Archived