Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

when I get the pedals out...

Ross Brown

Got the pedals out tonight... looking for ways to help the sound of the band.... I always come back to the same place after I do this.... pedals don't make the band sound better... the band needs to make the band sound better.... I put them away....

I need more talent as a bass player.... I just can't take an ok band and make it better.... I am just an ok bass player.... frustrated....

Thanks for reading.

"When I take a stroll down Jackass Lane it is usually to see someone that is already there" Mrs. Brown

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That's odd. My band encourages me to put as much electronical interference between myself and the audience as possible. Ideally they prefer a pitch corrector, tone remover, gain reducer, and bypass that sends the signal down a cable running into the restroom.

You can stop now -jeremyc

STOP QUOTING EVERY THING I SAY!!! -Bass_god_offspring

lug, you should add that statement to you signature.-Tenstrum

I'm not sure any argument can top lug's. - Sweet Willie

It's an interesting dilemma. The band sound is a result of everyone in the band, not just one player. I'm lucky enough to play with some guys who I think are better than me musically and that has helped me improve a lot--but I've got miles to go, for sure.

That said, there have been many great bands where the bass player maybe wasn't the best technically or talent-wise. Paul Simonon barely knew how to play the bass when he started with the Clash (he painted letters on his fret board to remind him what notes were where).

"Everyone wants to change the world, but no one thinks of changing themselves." Leo Tolstoy

Ah Ross the subjective make the band sound better dillema. My take on this is to come in and play everything right myself and then make sure everyone else is playing their parts right.

If after this you think it still sounds crap then its time for new songs or people.

That's odd. My band encourages me to put as much electronical interference between myself and the audience as possible. Ideally they prefer a pitch corrector, tone remover, gain reducer, and bypass that sends the signal down a cable running into the restroom.

Lug, I was just thinking "I haven't seen lug post in a while." True story. Good to read your self deprecating humor...

"Of all the world's bassists, I'm one of them!" - Lug

What, you mean I'm not the only one?

Lydian mode? The only mode I know has the words "pie ala" in front of it.

http://www.myspace.com/theeldoradosband

Lug, I was just thinking "I haven't seen lug post in a while." True story. Good to read your self deprecating humor...

Self deprecating? I'm actually talking myself up here. That's why I didn't mention the thrown fruits and vegetables,

threats against my person vs number of notes attempted, payola received for not playing, etc.

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Queen of the Quarter Note

"Think like a drummer, not like a singer, and play much less." -- Michele C.

Lug, that's downright funny man... seriously tho Ross, it takes the whole band to sound good and virtuosity on an instrument is not a prerequisite to playing what is necessary to make a song work. If you're doing covers and playing what you're supposed to, the others need to hold up their parts too. Same with originals. If others in the band aren't doing their job, it's not your fault and you can't fix that.

Maybe if EVERYONE in the band got out their pedals, it would help the band sound better?

No?

If you mean out of the signal chain, then maybe...

"Political language... is designed to make lies sound truthful and murder respectable, and to give an appearance of solidity to pure wind"- George Orwell

negative F# (need really really long scale strings)

It is not fun to suck... hard work that pays off in the form of excellence is very much fun for me.... it is also fun to drink beer and sit around the firepit. Playing bass is not about relaxing and playing crap.... just not...

I am def burning out on this stuff.... a break is coming my way... I'll be fine... no more trying to put a band together for me.... I am looking for a band... don't actually expect to find one soon.... it is drying up around here at the moment.... it hope it is cyclic.

"When I take a stroll down Jackass Lane it is usually to see someone that is already there" Mrs. Brown

Ross dude, you sound like you're burning out as a bass player. Why so serious? You are in this for fun, but frankly it sounds like somewhere along the line you forgot that aspect...

On a personal level, how about you try practicing playing a different style of music, then come back to your band's style for rehearsal, that might give you new ears.

"Call me what instrument you will, though you can fret me, yet you cannot play upon me.'-Hamlet

Guitar solos last 30 seconds, the bass line lasts for the whole song.

I thought I was the only one with an organic subwoofer.

I don't know what that is......but it sounds dirty. :eek:

Got the pedals out tonight... looking for ways to help the sound of the band.... I always come back to the same place after I do this.... pedals don't make the band sound better... the band needs to make the band sound better.... I put them away....

I need more talent as a bass player.... I just can't take an ok band and make it better.... I am just an ok bass player.... frustrated....

Thanks for reading.

My band think I'm awesome and that I make them sound better.

It's quite embarrassing. I don't, I just fit in with them better than the other guys that have played with them.

The problem with being a musician is that you feel you can be better. There's always room for improvement.

Who are you playing for?

Yourself, the band or the audience?

Truth is it's all three in equal proportions but if the audiences are still coming and the band are happy with my performance that's a big factor.

Feel the groove internally within your own creativity. - fingertalkin

If you're doing covers and playing what you're supposed to, the others need to hold up their parts too. Same with originals. If others in the band aren't doing their job, it's not your fault and you can't fix that.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say the band may be missing an instrument or two compared to the original recording. You know, that whole "this song sounds so empty when the lone guitarist has to stop playing rhythm in order to play lead" thing. Yes, an octave pedal (or 8-string bass) -- especially with the highs sent through distortion (and possibly a harmonizer, too, to generate power chords) to a separate guitar amp -- is going to be the technological "fix", but it will always be an approximation.

Archived