Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Dammann Bass

Tom Capasso

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I expect lots of comments and questions -and I know there will be lots of "what the hell -can't you just play a regular bass?!?"

It will arrive Friday. I may not have time to do much with it because we found out the singer is too sick for Saturday's gig. I'm going to do 3/4 of the singing, which I am not ready for. Lots of work to be done to get thru - then I will have fun with this baby.

Will let you know and take pics

Thanks

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

• 2 weeks later...

OK - got the bass last week. Managed to play 4 songs at the Stonefly gig. Kinda strange choices for such a different looking bass - 2 Hendrix (Watchtower and Fire), 2 Santana (Black Magic Woman and Oye Como Va). Had to sing background in Fire, lead in Black Magic - worked out fine. I was most impressed by the feeling of space around me. this is one of the advantages I'd seen of this design.

I've played it in church and for Acoustic Color rehearsals.

I'm still not used to it completely. I tried playing some songs that I have on a "bass" playlist. Some come to life, some don't (Black Sabbath's Paranoid was particularly bad).

Everyone comments on what a beautiful instrument it is (and it is). I am enjoying the sound. Bartolini J pickups and Audere preamp. I'm sure the Barts are good, but I am enjoying the Audere. The bass and treble controls are really nice - I love what they do. The mid control really punches up the sound. I like it much more than the mid control in my Demeter on-board pre. And the whole thing is very responsive. I can feel that I'm playing a bit lighter, but when I smack the strings the response is very gratifying!

I realize I made one error in my choices. I had them put the jack at the side of the instrument. While standing this works great. When sitting, the body ends up between my legs - which means I always have my leg against the jack. It doesn't feel bad, but it makes me nervous. I may consider having the jack moved.

I played at Thanksgiving Mass yesterday, and asked someone to take some pics.

Happy Thanksgiving, and Hannukah to all.

http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t217/tom_capasso/forumstuff/16762f76-6aa3-4e0c-b5ca-e826330e46f4.jpg

http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t217/tom_capasso/forumstuff/9ea15c47-da0d-49fd-86ca-4139e51c36c5.jpg

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

Congrats on the new bass, Tom! Sorry to hear about the output jack issues. It does seem like a little bit of a challenge. I would think that the most effective way of finding the right spot for the output jack would be to physically sit down with the luthier in order to find that spot that isn't going to hit your leg when you're seated.

So how is your left hand technique feeling considering the upright nature of the instrument?

Obligatory Social Media Link

"My concern is, and I have to, uh, check with my accountant, that this might bump me into a higher, uh, tax..."

Congrats, Tom! When's the NYC area get-together?

Peace.

--SW

I'm thinking after the holidays. I'll set it up by email, so anyone local who wants in, let me know here.

Thanks!

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Archived