Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Dammann Bass

Tom Capasso

Some of you may remember that when I was searching for my 5-string I learned about Dammann basses. they are designed to hang upright on the strap. I visited Ralph Dammann in 2002 and played his basses. While I decided not to buy one then (my Kinal SK5B was my 2002 purchase), I always admired the design.

During the intervening years, Ralph was never able to grow his bass business. He eventually hired a luthier named Ray Verona and expanded to other instruments. His current push is making mando-cellos (mandolins with a 5th course that is low). Ralph and Ray still make basses (as well as guitars and other instruments).

more at mandocello.org

I came into a bit of money and decided to go for a Dammann. I called Ralph to find out if he was still making them and scheduled a visit to Charlottesville VA in May.

I played a few sample basses he had on hand. Ralph said that he really wanted to make a bass for me and promised that he would do whatever it took to make me happy.

I worked out details with Ray and we were on our way. It is a 5 with Bart J pickups and an Audere preamp.

One choice I made was to use a Carvin neck (that's how Ralph had done most of his basses) rather than have Ray make a neck. I had him order a neck with smaller frets and diamond inlays. The neck is built to be neck-thru. The body (and cap over the neck and headstock) is mahogany.

The next two pictures are of one bass I played in May - that's Ralph holding the instrument.

http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t217/tom_capasso/forumstuff/0e12dac0-66ad-4514-88e2-5d1278d0b899.jpg

http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t217/tom_capasso/forumstuff/0f5d2d1e-50e0-44aa-ae91-8579a6f5802f.jpg

My bass has reached the point where the woodwork is done. The numbers in this picture are so I can pinpoint where the jack will go (I picked #4).

I have received stain samples and communicated my preference. I'm hoping that the staining/dyeing is done. If the work goes as planned, I'm planning to travel back to Ralph and pick up the bass Columbus Day weekend.

http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t217/tom_capasso/forumstuff/tcb4.jpg

While the Dammann will make an appearance or two with Stonefly, I plan to use it in church and with my new duo. The Kinal and Lull will be my rockband choices (with the EB3 stepping in from time to time).

I'll let you know as the progress continues.

Yes - it was interesting to post on the thread about Precision vs boutique basses knowing this is in the works.

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like the idea of starting with the Carvin neck thru, when I was considering making my own bass that was at the heart of the plan.

You said that it would be a hanging upright, if he's holding the bass in position I'd be worried about where the horn may hit. Thinking about the concept I think I'd like the option of screwing in a single leg.

If you think my playing is bad, you should hear me sing!

He's holding it lower for the picture.

I don't have a picture of where it sits when played, but the body sits at about your belt. That puts the horn out of the danger area.

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

Interesting fish.

His current push is making mando-cellos (mandolins with a 5th course that is low).

Sounds like you glossed over the description, Tom.

According to the link their mandocello starts with "the low C of a cello", like all mandocellos: C2,G2,D3,A3. The extra course is the high-pitched strings (E4), presumably to attract guitarists (guitars are tuned E2,A2,D3,G3,B3,E4).

A mandolin (G3,D4,A4,E5) with an extra (5th) course tuned a 5th lower (C3) would be a 5-course mandola, the fretted/picked counterpart of a 5-string viola.

Eric - you're right about the glossing over. When I visited Ralph in May, I had him teach me two chord fingerings so I could try a mando-cello (I know about 3 chords on a guitar). It sounded very cool, but wasn't my main interest.

Nicklab - The strap buttons are positioned to keep it upright - it doesn't move left/right at all. One change since my 2002 visit is that they are using less wood on the body. that actually makes the neck move front/back a bit more then the 2002 version. The 2002 version's body was like a counterweight that held it very much in place - I jumped around Ralph's dining room and it was solid. For my bass I opted to trade that counterweight for an instrument that was lighter over-all. Since I'll have my hand on the neck anyway, I consider this a good trade-off.

Wraub - thanks for digging up my old article!

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

I remember back when you first saw one of his basses and really liked the concept of the way it was held. I think it is probably better for the hands and wrists as well as the rest of the body. I'm happy that you're able to fulfill this sort of GAS that has existed in the background of your mind for over 10 years now. I look forward to seeing the photos when finished and hopefully get to hear you play some day.

Wally

I have basses to play, places to be and good music to make!

Richard W - Check the website. They don't have a store, but you can visit Ralph and company. They are on a farm that has Ralph's house, a Music building (to show instruments) and a separate set of buildings where the work is done. Sorry I missed your post until now - hope the drop-off went well!

Nick - the body actually is a bit thicker where your right hand is, so it can be a hand-rest. The picking doesn't feel very different. Try it - drop your right hand, then bend your elbow so your hand is just below your belly button, with the palm facing in. Wiggle your fingers and you are there!!

I tried picking - it's not as easy because it requires a different motion. I twist my arm when I pick, so that doesn't work. I'll let you know if I work that out, but I expect to be using fingers.

I'm expecting it will take some time to get used to the upright neck, since I don't play upright bass at all. I was able to pick up songs pretty quickly on my two visits to Ralph's place, so I don't think it will take too long.

thanks

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

• 1 month later...

Update: I'm going back to Charlottesville Oct 12 to pick up the bass.

I've been working with Ralph Dammann's luthier Ray on this project and he's been great. We worked on color samples, and he later sent pictures of it finished.

http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t217/tom_capasso/Dammannfinishbass3.jpg

http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t217/tom_capasso/Dammannfinishbass2.jpg

I was consulted on everything (as you saw above on the jack position). I had to provide measurements for my relief and action (I took them from my Kinal) because Ray wants to get everything as close to perfect as possible. He had drilled holes for the controls for my Audere preamp. We then talked through the Z-switch options. After researching TalkBass (not very helpful) and Jon Herrera's review (very helpful) I decided to add the switch. The latest picture to ask where I want the switch shows the partial construction - I'm getting excited!!!

For the record, I asked for the switch to be between markers 4 & 10. There is also a battery light with this preamp. I decided to have it installed in the cavity cover on the back. A blue light on the front just didn't seem right for this bass design. My Kinal is battery-only (no passive mode), and it hasn't been an issue.

The controls are volume, blend, treble/bass (concentric), and mids. The Audere has the blend built into the preamp rather than using the control to blend the pickups before the preamp (which many basses have). According to Jon, it provides a smoother, varied blend.

I went with 18 mm spacing, which is what my Kinal has. I was tempted to something tighter, but figured this spacing was safe. I hadn't even realized that bridges are offered in so many widths. Ray said they typically use 16 mm. It's an ABM bridge.

http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t217/tom_capasso/forumstuff/Dammannswitchposition.jpg

Yes - I know the bass isn't mine until pictures are posted. I'll do that as soon as I can.

NY-area folks - I'll try to arrange a gathering. Willie has his Nordstrand that most of us haven't seen. I'm sure some of you have something new to contribute. More later.

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Exciting times, Tom! Enjoy the trip south to pick it up.

A NYC gathering to check it out would be great. And, sure, I'd bring along Citric Acid since many of the locals haven't had a chance to test drive it.

Peace.

--s-uu

spreadluv

Fanboy? Why, yes! Nordstrand Pickups and Guitars.

Messiaen knew how to parlay the funk.

Exciting times, Tom! Enjoy the trip south to pick it up.

A NYC gathering to check it out would be great. And, sure, I'd bring along Citric Acid since many of the locals haven't had a chance to test drive it.

Peace.

--s-uu

I has jealous.

And, a little sad.

I'm a lot more like I am now than I was when I got here.

Seeing it hang like that, the shape actually reminds me of a tamboura. My old roommate had one back when we shared an apartment in the 90's, and the silhouette was very much like that. [/END TANGENT]

It's looking pretty awesome, Tom. You also managed to pique my interest with the Bartolini's that you're putting in there, too.

Obligatory Social Media Link

"My concern is, and I have to, uh, check with my accountant, that this might bump me into a higher, uh, tax..."

Well - the best laid plans...

While doing a final buffing, Ray accidentally burned the finish in two spot on an edge. He wrote me a day before my trip and sent me pictures of the damage. Knowing that plans were made, he offered to let me take the bass and have the damages fixed in NY, for which he would reimburse me in full.

I thought about his offer, and the fact that my trip to VA included a visit to a few friends, and made a decision. I would make the trip, see the friends, and see the bass. But I would leave the bass for Ray to complete. I did this because I wanted the finished product to come from one place, and I wanted Dammann (Ralph the owner and Ray the luthier) to feel good about the product. Seeing/playing the bass also gives me a chance to see if everything suits me - and gives them time to change anything I would like different. I'm not sure yet if I'll make another trip to pick it up or have them ship it to me.

I visited yesterday - Ray was away for the weekend, and Ralph let me play and examine. It took a few minutes to find the two damages. they are the type of thing that could happen in normal wear banging the instrument around - very small. Still, I left it to be fixed. It was hard to leave it.

The color (which probably isn't represented exactly in any of the pics) is exactly the red I wanted. It is beautiful !!

Another thing I didn't notice as much before was that the small/narrow headstock makes the tuning pegs appear to stick out - it looks more like an oriental stringed instrument - which I like. One thing I did was use smaller frets. I've never owned an instrument with smaller frets, and coupled with the different way of holding the instrument, I had a lot of fret noise. Hmmm - was something not right? I tilted the instrument down more like a guitar and played, and - yep, no fret noise - felt great! I'll have to adjust, but it won't take long. It sounded great - lots of variety in the tone. Clicky-sharp edges in the tone if I want, or smooth mids, or lows. The sound is a bass guitar - this does not pretend to be fretless or upright.

I had to decide on a TKL gig bag or a custom made hard case. I looked the bag and decided i'd prefer more padding, so i picked the case.

Here is a pic with Ralph and the bass to show it does exist :wink:

( the orangy bit is just the light from a window)

http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t217/tom_capasso/forumstuff/DammannBassCheck1.jpg

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

• 4 weeks later...

Archived