Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Hammond SK1 manual bass

JohnCorda

I'm looking to replace my XK3 with the SK1, or possibly the XK1c if I feel like waiting/saving money/not having extra sounds. Haven't decided yet but I'm leaning towards the SK1.

I play a lot of left hand bass and the bass tone in my XK3 is lovely.

I'm having a hard time finding somewhere to demo the SK1 in my area, so I'd like to know if anyone can tell me what kind of manual bass sound they are getting out of the instrument, and how it compares to an XK3.

I'm concerned about that, and the lack of the tube(s) - will that affect the bass sound? I'm under the impression that the overdrive is less than desirable as a result, but I can do that tradeoff for the extreme portability.

Amp is a Motion Sound KBR3D.

Any info on this much appreciated, thanks.

Playing Nord Stage 2, Hammond XK1c, LH bass, with sax and drums

https://youtu.be/0-H0GRBWiM4?si=4PBofKIl5qD-we5p

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm assuming you mean the Manual Bass (pedal tones) for LH bass. The XK-3c and SK's are improved over the XK-3. The lack of tubes won't affect the pedal tones since they don't go through the preamp in the XK-3 or '3c or the OD in the SK's. In the SK's the pedals can also be set to either go through or bypass the C/V. In the XK-3 and '3c the pedals bypass the C/V.

If you get a chance to try an SK-1, try using the EPAmp preamp for organ.

• 3 weeks later...

Just an update, I ended up pulling the trigger and ordered it at a "floor model" price from a store online (don't know if we're allowed to say).

So, the bass sound.

It is pretty solid. Not quite as fat as the XK3, but very large and an effective bass sound.

The OD is okay, not as good as the tube OD but gets the job done.

The action is definitely more stiff, and takes a little getting used to.

Overall I really dig the unit for all its value and portability.

But I'm keeping the XK3. At least for now. Some gigs, it's worth hauling the XK3 along with Nord Stage. It just looks better, and sounds a little better over all.

For shorter gigs/less pay gigs/shitty load in gigs I'll bring the Nord with the SK1 - OR just the SK1 - and in THAT case I have all the extra sounds I usually play on the Nord (just not as good sounding) but a perfect easy instrument for those multi band shows where I have to get in and out quickly.

The only thing I wish they added was another physical output where I could route just the organ sounds - for the rotary channel on my Motion Sound - and then the original stereo outputs on the SK1 could go to the stereo in on the Motion Sound - for when I only use the SK1 at a show or jam session. Will probably use two Roland 300s and run everything stereo in that case, and use the digital leslie.

The only thing I wish they added was another physical output where I could route just the organ sounds - for the rotary channel on my Motion Sound - and then the original stereo outputs on the SK1 could go to the stereo in on the Motion Sound - for when I only use the SK1 at a show or jam session. Will probably use two Roland 300s and run everything stereo in that case, and use the digital leslie.

This can be done with a cable mod that's been discussed here.

8 pin cable with the correct wiring can output pure organ with no rotary , automatically disables the sim, the Extra Voices can be wired to the 8 pin cable OR just take them off the L and R outputs

SpaceStation V3,

MoxF6,PX5S,Hammond-SK2,Artis7,Stage2-73,

KronosX-73,MS Pro145,Ventilator,OB DB1,Lester K

Toys: RIP died in the flood of 8/16 1930 Hammond AV, 1970s Leslie 145, 1974 Rhodes Stage

• 4 weeks later...

8 pin cable with the correct wiring can output pure organ with no rotary , automatically disables the sim, the Extra Voices can be wired to the 8 pin cable OR just take them off the L and R outputs

Thanks I'll look for that. Is it DIY or does someone sell it?

Also I'm really close to selling my XK3 on CL. The SK1 is really doing it for me, and now I prefer the sound of this tonewheel engine.

Real easy to do, I made an 8 pin to a straight 1/4 tr jack, to run orgfan sound to the speakeasy to the 147. This gives you the 2 regular outputs to run your pianos etc to another amp.

https://forums.musicplayer.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/2419545/Re_Hammond_SK1_to_Neo_Ventilat

cable here that I used http://www.digikey.com/product-search/en?x=0&y=0&lang=en&site=us&KeyWords=839-1067-ND

red wire #1 to tip, 2+ 5 to gnd ( cant remember what colors they are )

"Ive been playing Hammond since long before anybody paid me to play one, I didn't do it to be cool, I didnt do it to make a statement......I just liked it "

Archived