Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Rhodes FX signal path

Leh173

Never having owned a Rhodes I'm interested in what signal paths Rhodes players use to get their sound. for example

Rhodes>FX Pedals>Preamp>Power Amp/Speaker

or

Rhodes>Preamp>FX loop>Pedals>Power Amp/Speaker

Researching it seems the Fender Twin or Roland JC-120 were preferred amps. Do they have FX loops or do players treat the Rhodes like a guitar and build FX first and then going into the preamp? Is the preamp used for overdrive? or a pedal first before a phaser/chorus etc...

Roland Fantom G6, D-70, JP-8000, Juno-106, JV-1080, Moog Minitaur, Korg Volca Keys, Yamaha DX-7. TG33, Logic Pro, NI plugs, Arturia plugs etc etc

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I've been running my Suitcase through a Univibe, then an Electroharmonix Ring Thing (amazing pedal, you should get it), and an Electroharmonix Memory Boy at the end, in the effects loop of the piano. I just run through a DI straight from the preamp to the soundboard, my speakers are shot, and it sounds great anyways. The Ring Thing does digital whammy harmonizing effects, but polyphonic and the ability to add various modulations to the pitch, on top of that, it has a bunch of different types of ring modulation, which can be made to work like tremolo or phaser effects too. Its crazy versatile.

Cool thanks for that info! I have a Small Stone Phaser and bought a Maxon AD-10 analog delay on the weekend. How do you find the Memory Boy? The guy in the shop didn't think much of it and recommended the Maxon, but it was a bit pricey. Does sound good though. The Ring thing sounds interesting!

Sorry about my ignorance of the Rhodes but in the setup you mention the pre-amp is in the Rhodes? So the chain is Pre-amp>FX loop>DI out for you? Or is it Rhodes>FX loop>Pre-amp>DI? I'm interested in learning more so I can use pedals to create a Rhodes sound on my Fantom instead of relying on it's FX. (which are fine, just trying something else) It's good to learn how the original instruments behave.

Roland Fantom G6, D-70, JP-8000, Juno-106, JV-1080, Moog Minitaur, Korg Volca Keys, Yamaha DX-7. TG33, Logic Pro, NI plugs, Arturia plugs etc etc

Never having owned a Rhodes I'm interested in what signal paths Rhodes players use to get their sound. for example

Rhodes>FX Pedals>Preamp>Power Amp/Speaker

or

Rhodes>Preamp>FX loop>Pedals>Power Amp/Speaker

Researching it seems the Fender Twin or Roland JC-120 were preferred amps. Do they have FX loops or do players treat the Rhodes like a guitar and build FX first and then going into the preamp? Is the preamp used for overdrive? or a pedal first before a phaser/chorus etc...

I run my Rhodes Mark 2 88 Stage Piano into a Fender Twin Reverb. I don't treat it like a guitar, I'm actually nice to it. :laugh: Signal path is Rhodes to MXR phaser to amplifier. Stage models do not have "FX loops", but the Suitcase/Janus rail does. Suitcase/Janus models have stereo vibrato. I'll take my mono vibrato/tube amp sound over stereo vibrato/solid state amp sound. They both sound great, but I can't have both anymore, so I have chosen my favorite.

:nopity:

Cool thanks for that info! I have a Small Stone Phaser and bought a Maxon AD-10 analog delay on the weekend. How do you find the Memory Boy? The guy in the shop didn't think much of it and recommended the Maxon, but it was a bit pricey. Does sound good though. The Ring thing sounds interesting!

Sorry about my ignorance of the Rhodes but in the setup you mention the pre-amp is in the Rhodes? So the chain is Pre-amp>FX loop>DI out for you? Or is it Rhodes>FX loop>Pre-amp>DI? I'm interested in learning more so I can use pedals to create a Rhodes sound on my Fantom instead of relying on it's FX. (which are fine, just trying something else) It's good to learn how the original instruments behave.

I love the memory boy, it doesn't have the longest delay time, but the tone is super rich, and the modulation options can give you from a subtle shimmer all the way to crazy pitch mod glitchyness. As for my signal chain, its the internal effects loop on the front panel of the rhodes, which comes first in the signal I believe, and then through the front rail pream and out the 'pre amp output A' on the side of the suitcase. I recently got a cheeckblock preamp from vintage vibe so I don't need to haul the bottom section, but I haven't installed it yet.

I have a Memory Toy. My only complaint is the change in tone between bypass and delay. The delay is *much* brighter. I also use a Small Stone, a micro Qtron, and a Boss Fender Deluxe pedal (that I bought for Wurly on my Electro) for reverb and dirt.
A ROMpler is just a polyphonic turntable.

Thanks for the replies guys! Got the info I needed. Looks like Roland laid out their ARX-02 card quite authentically. It goes Rhodes>MFX>Pre-amp with tremolo and EQ>Speaker (or line). I may pop it back into the G6 and give it another try. There was something about it's tone I didn't like, a bit honky, though I eq'd it out I kind of got bored with it. The dynamics were excellent though. Felt like a real instrument.

Thanks for the comments about the EHX delays. I feel a bit of buyers remorse over the Maxon AD10 delay, as I had my eye on a EHX one, but I'll give a go, haven't heard a bad word about their analog delays. Sounded lush in the shop.

@Kanker: how do you find the Boss Fender Deluxe pedal? I've been looking at that. Also do you put your delay pedal before the Boss one or at the end? Though I guess reverb into Delay is a bit of a no no.

I treat the amp pedal as the final stage in the process, as it would be if I were plugging into a real Deluxe.

For Rhodes, I dig it. The levels match since the Rhodes is passive. For the Electro, I run into a bit of problem with the drive getting a little muddy. Not sure if it's the pedal or the signal, but I don't dig it. I'm hoping to get a pedal manufacturer that a buddy of mine works for to mod their Fender Blackface pedal to allow for hotter signals so I can use the pedal with my Electro rack or another instrument closer to line level while not overwhelming the circuit.

A ROMpler is just a polyphonic turntable.

OK, that's what I was thinking to do as well, use the pedal as virtual amp sim. I wonder how closely related it is to the Fantoms built in COSM FX...

That impedance mis-match is actually doing my head in with these guitar pedals. Running out of the Fantom I have to turn the output from the Fantom right down (I used output 4 on the G so it doesn't affect the main output). I've actually tried running a DI in reverse for use with Logic Pro, which actually sounded clean, but same thing need to turn the output of the send right down. Been looking in a re-amp box to take the pain out of it. Wish these pedals could handle line level and guitar hi-z

• 3 months later...

I am looking to improve the Fantom G6 EP's... On another thread someone suggested the ARX-02 .. via googling, I bumped into precious little about the ARX-02. But you say you were going to try it again, having previously grown a little bored with. I can afford the ARX-02...

I am an older player.. have owned the real thing decades ago, found most of the real ones to be so so. But that was then this is now! I am more R&B, Blues and Jazz oriented player.

Do you recommend the less than perfect ARX 02, including any added "boxes", eg that you and Kanker discussed?

Thank you

You don't have ideas, ideas have you

We see the world, not as it is, but as we are. "One mans food is another mans poison". I defend your right to speak hate. Tolerance to a point, not agreement

Archived